Novogradac & Company Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

2.7

Intern Interview

Applied through university's career center. The interview was very conversational, no questions about my resume or behavior questions. Main questions were why Novogradac and Audit, and I asked a lot of questions about the interviewer's personal experiences.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Novogradac & Company.

1st round is a phone screen. They ask basic questions, but make sure you do research about the firm and its niches.

2nd round is a onsite office interview with a senior. More behavorial questions. After the interview, there's an assessment test composed of accounting, excel, and writing. It's timed and so make sure you know your basic accounting and excel skills.

3rd round was another onsite office interview with an associate, senior, manager, and supervisor. More behavorial questions with a few accounting questions.

I was notified that I would get an offer two days later and got the official offer once my background check cleared. The whole process took about 3 weeks, the recruiter did a good job letting me know where I was at in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • What are some things you look for in the financial statements as an investor?   Answer Question
    Didn't try.

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Novogradac & Company in October 2014.

The worst interview ever. Two people interviewed me.
    Application through school was put priority, so get to know them beforehand and if they remember you, you will get an interview. Most of them are behavior questions.
    They asked many behavioral question about the leadership abilities.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the concept of depreciation to someone who has no business knowledge.   Answer Question

Tax Associate Interview

It is easy to encounter the interview. Step 1 is that you get interviewed by one of relative department supervisor regarding your academic background and past experience. Step 2 is that you get the assessment test and it takes 45mins to finish it.

Interview Questions
    • It is easy to follow the the instruction and answer the questions   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Novogradac & Company in September 2014.

There is a 45 minute timed test followed by a face to face interview with a single person. (I did an on-campus interview with a recruiter.) The test was a little harder than anticipated, all short answer, so brush up on your Financial Accounting. The Excel and Word parts were really simple though.
    The interview was really laid back and the person I interview with was amiable and non-threatening. Just go in with a smile and you will do fine.

Interview Questions
    • The financial part of the quiz- brush up on straight-line depreciation.   Answer Question
    The Interviewer said he would get back to me in two weeks and that point has not yet hit, but I expect to get an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Novogradac & Company in September 2014.

Just interviewed recently and I must say it was the WORST company that I've seen EVER! The moment I stepped in their building, I had the feeling that I was inside a shoe factory. I couldn't find any motivation of getting a job there after seeing the building itself.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Novogradac & Company in September 2014.

Applied online and about a week later, I got an email to schedule for a phone interview. After the phone interview, I got invited for an office visit/in person interview. Everyone was extremely friendly, sociable.

They make you take a basic accounting/excel test.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Novogradac? Why not PWC or Deloitte?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Novogradac & Company in August 2014.

I applied online through my school website, experience.com. I had to send them a transcript, resume, cover letter and their online application. I went to their Boston office and was first asked to take a small test and to prepare a writing sample. This took be about 45 minutes. I was then interview by 3 "senior accountants", all about 20 minutes each. Questions were fairly simple, but make sure you understand the job description very well! They asked me questions like "Do you like to work on a team or by yourself" and the job description clearly stated that you would be working within a team.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult/unexpected part of the interview was the small test and writing sample. I had not heard of other firms doing this so it was very out of the blue, but the test was simple. Make sure you know WHY you want to work for novogradac & company and HOW you are a good fit for the job and their company   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

interviewed at Novogradac & Company in August 2014.

I applied online through LinkedIn. About a week later I received an email for a phone interview. The phone interview was pleasant and typical. There were a lot of behavioral questions (i.e., Tell me a time you did ---). There was a lot of emphasis on my knowledge of the company. I was then invited for a in person interview. It took a little while to set that up, about a week. The in person interview was a very long process. I met with an administrative person who was very nice. Then I interviewed with a senior manager who was also very nice. The last part was a 45 minute test. The assessment is a 150 word essay about the company, a five question accounting assessment that involves full-blown textbook like accounting questions, and an excel formatting exercise.

Interview Questions
    • I personally thought that the accounting assessment was difficult. However, I have only done accounting out of a textbook, so my knowledge is not solidified. If you freshly took intermediate 1 or have some working knowledge you will be better off. I think both those things worked against me.   Answer Question

Human Resources/Recruiting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Novogradac & Company in May 2014.

1). Applied online 2). Received an email from HR 3). Replied to email 4). Phone call from HR with basic questions regarding the role and my experience 5). Interviewed with HR and two principals. The entire processed was rushed and took over a matter of days

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions. The work culture is not exactly HR savvy or highly educated on the HR strategic process or question track. More specifically, the questions were exceedingly non specific and too general for them to provide a fair and knowledgeable assessment of the candidate.   Answer Question