NuVasive

2.8

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at NuVasive.

Applied online and through a friend. Initial phone interview with HR, basic questions. Second phone interview with hiring manager. In person with hiring manager. On-site with multiple interviews. Asked lots of questions, personal and professional. Met with different personality types.

Interview Questions
    • What would your former managers say about you that would surprise me.   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at NuVasive in March 2014.

The interview consisted of a series of impersonal questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions were open-ended and very ambiguous.   Answer Question

Director, Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 days - interviewed at NuVasive in February 2014.

I had a phone interview for a finance director role with the person I would have been replacing. I was told they use some interview technique (I forgot its name) in which the interviewer supposedly would not give any feedback. My interviewer was not like that and was friendly providing feedback throughout the call.

Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at NuVasive in April 2011.

The process was thorough and complete. Several intervals, around 5 separate times. Interviewed almost all the important parties involved in the position. The people were nice and volunteered a lot of information about the company and the culture. It seemed like the company was a solid company and had a great can do culture that anyone would want to work in.

Interview Questions
    • There really were not any difficult questions from the staff or executive team. The important thing to note here is that their questioning was not thorough nor were their answers to my questions. The answers received to questions were not truthful. The reality is that the culture is much different than they put forth.   Answer Question
    Went back and forth until a satisfactory compensation package was reached.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at NuVasive.

Be prepared to take an online test, and a computer test with a visual studio solution which contains five bugs. There are several in person interviews. Answer to "who is your customer?" = sales because they need to help surgeons understand NeuroVision in the O.R.. Which is not true if you think about ALL the players. The patient is your customer. Because the patient is either relieved or ... Sad that the concept of altruism is lost by marketing and then found by an engineer (actually, it fits).

Interview Questions
    • Final bug is a multithreaded flaw. You can hack it with a lock. But really the test was created by someone who is inept. Real answer is to use queuing (transactional request/response pattern) which you won't have time to implement. Funny, the test is a good analogy of how you will be forced to spend your time while working on the code.   View Answer
    You will take this offer or there is the door.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at NuVasive.

The recruiter was completely inept and made no apologies for being so. Our phone interview was scheduled and confirmed and the recruiter completely blew off the interview with no phone call, no email, no explanation. I contacted the recruiter the same day with a voicemail and email, letting her know that I would still be available later in the day. No word at all. Followed up the next week with an email asking to reschedule - recruiter offered no explanation or apology for completely missing the first scheduled, confirmed interview - though she did manage to call for the second scheduled phone interview - 20 minutes late! Her interviewing skills were negligible, and there were no real questions of substance. She promised to get back with me regarding feedback and next steps within the week, and of course, that didn't happen either. I let another few days go by before sending another email asking about the feedback and received and email that they had decided to move forward with another candidate.

I have never had such a rude, wasteful interview experience in my entire career. NuVasive (or maybe its recruiters) does not value your time and makes no apologies for it. It just made me glad that I did not move forward in the process - because if this is how candidates are treated, I can only imagine how much worse it must be for employees. Absolutely zero respect given to candidates.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions got into the meat of the position. Simple, straightforward, task-oriented questions.   Answer Question

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at NuVasive in September 2011.

Phone Interview was simple, asked basic questions about my skills and previous work experience. Interview with hiring manager was pretty generic. Asked questions about current employment and future goals.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at NuVasive in July 2010.

Initial communication was with HR. After talking to HR rep. She talked to the hiring manager, who then asked to schedule a phone interview. It took two more weeks before I had the phone interview with the hiring manager. He asked if I would come in for an interview and HR would contact me to schedule. Another two weeks passed and I heard from a different HR rep. who setup the interview.
    The first interview occurred two weeks after the phone interview. It consisted of 45 min interview with 4 people from the hiring manager to directors. I thought it went well and so did they because they asked me to return the following day for the 2nd interview. That interview was with the VP and two Engineering managers. I believe that interview went well too. I heard back from HR about a week later and they wanted to know how I thought the interview went. I told her I thought it went well, what do you think? She said they were impressed and then the icing on the cake came. I interviewed for a full-time position, and she then asked what do I think about a contract position? This confused me because everyone I interviewed with said they wanted a full time person, not contract because the last person holding the position was contract and it didn't work out. I told the HR rep that I preferred full time, but that contract would be OK. She then suggested an hourly rate that was low, especially if I have to pay for my own health care, days off, vac, holidays, and not to mention contributions to 401K. She said that she would talk to the hiring manager. A few days goes by and its the same conversation. They were not willing to budge on the hourly rate. She said she would talk to the hiring manager again and call me back the same day. Well there was no call that day and the following day she did call late in the afternoon, and on my home line even though I asked her to call the cell number. I finally did reach her after the weekend and was told that they could not meet my request of a higher hourly rate and that the job description has changed so I probably wouldn't be interested any more. So bottom line is there was never an offer made since the hourly rate was too low to even consider. This entire interview process took about 7 weeks and cost me a trip because I rescheduled it to do the 2nd interview. I guess all I can say is lessoned learned.

Interview Questions
    • What were some obstacles that may have delayed a project? What did you do to rectify the situation?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at NuVasive in February 2009.

Interview process was a two on one. You wait in the reception area with a few other candidates for as long as 30 minutes. You are then invited upstairs to meet with two senior executives. They ask a lot of open ended questions and kind of leave you with the job of selling yourself and filling in the gaps. At the end they invite you to ask questions, and then you get a nice thank you and we will let you know. You can assume if you don't hear from them, that there is no offer. Nice guys, rumored to be a challenging place to work with very long work hours.

Interview Questions
    • What would you consider one of the most challenging things you had to do at work? Did you succeed or fail and why?   Answer Question

Worked for NuVasive? Contribute to the Community!