Nuance Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.7

Senior Technical Support Engineer Interview

Interview

Over the phone; was asked questions about general IT and previous experience with other employment. I was also asked about how I felt working after hours, on rotation and on different schedules.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nuance in June 2015.

Interview

Was all on the phone, first a screening with recruiter. Typical questions. Followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. She asked basic questions, and some of the how would you handle questions. She was hard to develop rapport with on the phone. She pushed very hard for previous salary information and would not let go of that thought. She said to follow up with her for feedback and update on a particular day, which I did, then she pushed that out another week. Followed up again, and she pushed it out again. Third time, said no face to face without explanation.

Interview Questions

• Asked what I knew about their software and customer base.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nuance (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied through linked.com and got an email to set up a initial phone call with the development manager. The manager started with good introduction of his team but he questions were very general and can have user defined definition. For example he asked me what is the difference between process and threads, which is a very basic question and anyone can translate this into their words. He asked me to provide examples. Next he asked me how to shoot a product page on a shopping website which has the problem of price displaying intermittently. This is a very open ended question and there can be no specific answer to this . I said the basic points what would i go and check. After a week he rejected me saying lack of technical skills.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between process and threads? How will you troubleshoot a web page knowing that price is coming on and off intermittently?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

The hiring process was really bad because I felt he was not interested as soon as he opened the door when I went on site, I passed all the technical interview questions..the usual stuff. white boarding etc. They even had their consultant interview me which is strange because usually you don't let consultants interview full time permanent candidates. Anyways hiring manager was scared that I was more educated than him and he started asking questions about me along that line...strange.

Interview Questions

• nothing really , be prepared for simple white boarding stuff.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nuance.

Interview

Submitted resume for position online. Was contacted by contract recruiter working for Nuance to answer some basic employment questions. A few days later was asked to come in for an in-person interview. Met with 5 people, including 2 managers, 2 engineers, and a linguistic scientist. A few days later, was asked to come in for a second interview to take a test. The test was a combination of programming and behavior, which was probably not possible to solve in the time frame allotted. I provided a problem decomposition, along with some pseudo-code. The company told me that they wanted to make me an offer, and the contract recruiter has said that an offer is in the works, but 4+ weeks later nothing has materialized. At this point, I do not expect one to be provided.

Interview Questions

• The test scenario involved writing a program to parse a multi-token language.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Nuance.

Interview

First had a phone interview that was about 30 min. Next was an a series of interview at the office. Each one 30 min. Two of the interview made had white board questions. Others were general testing questions.

Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Nuance.

Interview

Phone screening from HR, followed by video-conference technical skills interview. The phone screening was your typical HR screening to determine your interests and salary demands. The technical interview was as expected for a systems administrator, asking about the various techonologies (ie. DNS, windows 2012 Servers, Linux, file-systems and networking).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non-existent. I didn't negotiate much since it was my first job ever.

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Nuance.

Interview

Very good experience overall. Recruiting team was both professional and engaged. Communications were well done and everything was well coordinated. Interview process was fairly typical, with phone interviews followed by on-sites. Each of the interviewers was knowledgeable, pleasant, and prepared with good questions, and also good context for the role and company. I ended up getting an offer, which was also handled well, with the recuriting team willing and able to answer all of my questions about the role, company, benefits, etc.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions about background, approach, and strategic initiatives.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nuance in September 2014.

Interview

Submitted resume online and had a basic call from recruiter, went through my resume and scheduled a technical round over phone. Could not do well and hence the process did not proceed.

Interview Questions

• How do you debug an application when an error occurs. Have you worked with a log file of size 500 MB? Database indexes.   Answer Question

Customer Loyalty Interview

Interview

None; position offered after acquisition of company. Most of these positions are eliminated 12-24 months after integration of former company systems. Some people move on to other positions in other divisions but that is not the norm.

Negotiation

None. Take it or leave it.