Nuance

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nuance in March 2014.

12:30-1:30- Manager QA Engineering
    1:30-2:00- Director of Engineering
    2:00-3:00- Development Manager
    3:00-3:30- Program Manager
    3:30-4:30- Manager QA Engineering

Interview Questions
    • Already told that I donot have development experience the person is asking me Java syntax and asking to write down those and he was the whom I suppose to replace , when i asked why you are leaving he told that he is switching to Java dev. So I asked when you joined do you know java he told I learn while in job , so I told same I can do if needed for my role.I already told twice to Test manager and recruiter that I donot have dev experince than I am not sure why they are just running behind dev code . They reject me by saying we need some person with Java development experience.   View Answer

Software Engineer In Linguistics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Nuance in May 2011.

I was definitely an entry-level employee but came with a recommendation. I had a phone interview for a standard software engineering position which was (in my estimation) inconclusive, and they sent me some programming questions over email and gave me a few days to complete them. I don't know if this was standard practice or if I got a little special treatment because of my combination of a recommendation and lack of formal experience. The questions were pretty standard CS fare: one on linked lists, one concerning binary trees, and I was rusty but I suspect someone who wasn't could have banged them out in a night.

After a little while my resume got diverted to the linguistics team, and I ended up having an interview which I think was kind of a hodge-podge: it was with a couple members each of two different teams. It was not all that clear to me which position I was interviewing for—the software engineering one or the linguistics one—but coming from working in retail I didn't much care. The questions were almost entirely centered on coding, though I went out to lunch for one of them and got some looser, more open-ended questions about teamwork and general problem solving then. My last interview was on speakerphone with someone who telecommuted most days.

Everyone was friendly and patient with me despite my total lack of knowledge of what to expect, and I felt like it was a very encouraging experience all around.

I had to come back a few days later for another interview; this one was just with the manager of the engineering team, it was over lunch, and it felt very casual and not much like I was being quizzed. He did a good job of putting me at ease and it was as pleasant as the other interviews had been.

Interview Questions
    • You're given a keyboard and a key on it. How would you determine all the keys that are adjacent to that one?   View Answer
    • Given a phone number, determine all the words that can be made from it using the letters corresponding to each digit on a 12-key phone keypad.   View Answers (2)
    I have no advice, sorry. I didn't attempt to negotiate; my expectations were low and I felt the offer made me was very generous.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Nuance in April 2011.

it was nice experience
    They asked me a bunch of tech questions and gave a problem to implement on a computer

Overall it was a nice well thought out good interview

Interview Questions
    • WAP to take a sentence as input and change each word Camelcase wise   Answer Question