Nucor Interview Questions

Updated Jan 9, 2015
Updated Jan 9, 2015

3.2

Maintenance Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Nucor.

Interview

Very thorough, process can be rather long, taking up to 6 months. Included a psychological evaluation during the 2nd interview. Potential candidates have been known to attend 2 -6 interviews with this company, my personal interview only required 2. Questions were mostly skewed toward personality and teamwork, relatively few regarding technical aspects of the job.

Interview Questions

• Coming from an educated background and business related fields, why would you want to work in an industrial environment, and what can you bring to this type of field?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They give you an offer, and you either accept or deny. Lots of potential for upward growth once hired on though.

Intern Interview

Interview

Resume was sent in by a friend who had worked here previously. Resume was reviewed internally, after which I was offered a phone interview. Typically, I believe they offer on site interviews, however, I was hired kind of late. I received an offer letter approximately a week after the phone interview was conducted. Travel to site was reimbursed and housing was paid for all summer.

Interview Questions

• Please describe the principles of Scanning Electron Microscopy   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Interview

Take a willingness survey upon job opening, contacted weeks later for assessments, 3 interviews which 1 includes an interview with a professional counselor. This hiring process takes a while to complete.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation phase... Started at $13.30 and now maxed out at $16. There aren't performance based pay increases for admin, only cost of living increases. There is a ROA bonus plus profit sharing.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Interview

I interviewed for a few different plants, for a total of 4 interviews. I was then offered a position after the 4th interview. The first interview was at my college, second was a dinner with an interview, third was a phone interview, and the last was a plant visit with an interview at the end.

IT Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Nucor.

Interview

Multiple interviews by phone and in person at multiple locations. The process is extremely long and can take months for some people. For IT positions you will interview with business users and non technical be prepared to be able to translate technical to business.

Interview Questions

• Very few technical cases, much more interested in personality.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No room for negotiation.

Metallurgist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Nucor.

Interview

Interview was scripted. Four to five rounds of similar questions posed by managers, sales representatives, and other plant personnel. Typical questions ranged from how the candidate feels about team environment, what their attitudes were concerning ethical behavior, and other generic strengths / weaknesses type.
    I think I subconsciously sabotaged my own interview because I couldn't see myself living in the rural area where the mill was located. Also, my personality did not mesh well with other plant personnel. When thinking about working at Nucor one must find an opening at their Berkeley (Charleston, SC) mill or accept that the job will be located in a remote area -- meaning you either commute a good distance from a mid-sized town or you live in a very small town.

Interview Questions

• "When was the last time that stands out when someone asked you to do something you knew was wrong and how did you respond?"   Answer Question

Maintenance Electrician Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Nucor (Blytheville, AR).

Interview

Was introduced to the job via headhunter. Initial interview was technical over the phone. Fairly basic questions about controllers and motor theory, some troubleshooting. Face to face interview was scheduled for a couple weeks later, consisted of a panel interview and a technical exam. Technical questions again, standard personality questions (what's your biggest strength, weakness, most challenging day, etc.) The face-to-face process has completely changed since I interviewed. Technical exam is replaced with a personality exam. Two panel interviews are convened. Drug test and background check are performed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was with regards to starting grade. Electricians usually start out at a 3, based on experience and need I started at a 4.

Clerical/Administrative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Nucor (Convent, LA).

Interview

Lengthy process. Testing, and multiple interviews. panel interviews and psychological interview. Overall from application date to offer date was about 3 months. Assesment completed, called for first on site interview, then called for psychological interview, then for third interview. Job offered following last interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None, offer was accepted.

Inside Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Nucor.

Interview

Phone Interview, skills/personality test, 2 face to face interviews. On each occasion, met with a panel (up to 4 people on each panel), final face to face met with plant manager after panel interviews, next step is a meeting with industrial psychologist. These interviews lasted about 4 hours. Everyone was very nice.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions, some situational. Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a coworker and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Received offer letter. Did not negotiate. Salary was acceptable.

Summer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nucor (Crawfordsville, IN) in February 2014.

Interview

Interview for electrical engineering intern position. Three electrical engineers were interviewing myself. Lasted approximately one hour. Partially resume directed, and partially stock questions.
    Relaxed environment for the most part. Asked a few simple EE question relating my my level of coursework and the brain teaser below. Mixed behavioral, work experience, and technical questions. Looking mostly for a fit between applicant and company environment. The engineers here clearly fill many rolls and gain a good breadth of experiences. The interviewers were clearly very happy with Nucor's willingness to put a lot of training into their employees and in the work environment itself. Very results-focused.

Interview Questions

• In one room their are three switches, in another their are three incandescent light bulbs. You can spend as long as you like in the first room, then you must go to the second and determine which switch turns on which bulb. You may not return to the first room after leaving.   2 Answers

Good company. Doesn't align well with my career interests.