Nucor Interview Questions

Updated Sep 7, 2014
Updated Sep 7, 2014

3.3

Electrical Engineer Interview

I interviewed for a few different plants, for a total of 4 interviews. I was then offered a position after the 4th interview. The first interview was at my college, second was a dinner with an interview, third was a phone interview, and the last was a plant visit with an interview at the end.

IT Programmer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Nucor.

Multiple interviews by phone and in person at multiple locations. The process is extremely long and can take months for some people. For IT positions you will interview with business users and non technical be prepared to be able to translate technical to business.

Interview Questions
    • Very few technical cases, much more interested in personality.   Answer Question
    No room for negotiation.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tuscaloosa, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nucor in March 2013.

The interviewing process was thorough, yet casual. The interview was primarily behavioral. The first round of interviews were 1:1. The second round of interviews consisted of 4 interviews of 1:2. The third round of interviews was a panel interview, which was 1:8.

Interview Questions
    • They may ask several questions that are completely unrelated just to see if you are able to converse. For example, "tell about a time you had to fix something (lawnmowers/ home improvement, etc.)   Answer Question

Metallurgist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Nucor.

Interview was scripted. Four to five rounds of similar questions posed by managers, sales representatives, and other plant personnel. Typical questions ranged from how the candidate feels about team environment, what their attitudes were concerning ethical behavior, and other generic strengths / weaknesses type.
    I think I subconsciously sabotaged my own interview because I couldn't see myself living in the rural area where the mill was located. Also, my personality did not mesh well with other plant personnel. When thinking about working at Nucor one must find an opening at their Berkeley (Charleston, SC) mill or accept that the job will be located in a remote area -- meaning you either commute a good distance from a mid-sized town or you live in a very small town.

Interview Questions
    • "When was the last time that stands out when someone asked you to do something you knew was wrong and how did you respond?"   Answer Question

Maintenance Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Blytheville, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blytheville, AR

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Nucor.

Was introduced to the job via headhunter. Initial interview was technical over the phone. Fairly basic questions about controllers and motor theory, some troubleshooting. Face to face interview was scheduled for a couple weeks later, consisted of a panel interview and a technical exam. Technical questions again, standard personality questions (what's your biggest strength, weakness, most challenging day, etc.) The face-to-face process has completely changed since I interviewed. Technical exam is replaced with a personality exam. Two panel interviews are convened. Drug test and background check are performed.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was with regards to starting grade. Electricians usually start out at a 3, based on experience and need I started at a 4.

Clerical/Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Convent, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Convent, LA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Nucor.

Lengthy process. Testing, and multiple interviews. panel interviews and psychological interview. Overall from application date to offer date was about 3 months. Assesment completed, called for first on site interview, then called for psychological interview, then for third interview. Job offered following last interview.

Interview Questions
    None, offer was accepted.

Inside Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Nucor.

Phone Interview, skills/personality test, 2 face to face interviews. On each occasion, met with a panel (up to 4 people on each panel), final face to face met with plant manager after panel interviews, next step is a meeting with industrial psychologist. These interviews lasted about 4 hours. Everyone was very nice.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions, some situational. Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a coworker and how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    Received offer letter. Did not negotiate. Salary was acceptable.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Crawfordsville, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Crawfordsville, IN

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Nucor in February 2014.

Interview for electrical engineering intern position. Three electrical engineers were interviewing myself. Lasted approximately one hour. Partially resume directed, and partially stock questions.
    Relaxed environment for the most part. Asked a few simple EE question relating my my level of coursework and the brain teaser below. Mixed behavioral, work experience, and technical questions. Looking mostly for a fit between applicant and company environment. The engineers here clearly fill many rolls and gain a good breadth of experiences. The interviewers were clearly very happy with Nucor's willingness to put a lot of training into their employees and in the work environment itself. Very results-focused.

Interview Questions
    • In one room their are three switches, in another their are three incandescent light bulbs. You can spend as long as you like in the first room, then you must go to the second and determine which switch turns on which bulb. You may not return to the first room after leaving.   View Answers (2)

Good company. Doesn't align well with my career interests.

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Nucor in January 2014.

the interview went well. they asked some behavioral questions. some questions were too difficult and I just skipped them. the recruiters were a bit strict and I had hard time to answer their questions.

Summer 2014 Engineering Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rapid City, SD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rapid City, SD

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Nucor in February 2014.

I went to my university's career fair the day before, spoke with them and they seemed very interested in me. That night I got a call for an interview the next day.
    It was my first interview for a job in my field so I was a little nervous about the types questions they might ask. The interview went very well and consisted mostly of the "typical" interview questions. Nothing too technical at all. I was interviewed by the recruiter I spoke to the day before and another recruiter.

They seemed very interested, but in the end I didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

Worked for Nucor? Contribute to the Community!