Nucor Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2015

3.2

Shift Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tuscaloosa, AL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Nucor (Tuscaloosa, AL) in August 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview. Loose and relaxed, but very technical. They poked fun at a math error I made (but caught myself), but never berated me. Questioning included resistance, ac motor operation, motor controller operation and troubleshooting, power factor, current transformers, pros/cons of 4/20mA vs +/- 10v, SCRs, PIDs, converting between numbering systems (binary and hex to decimal), what is ethernet, 3 and 4 phase bridge rectifiers and expected waveforms. Variable frequency controller operation Flying me out for an in-person panel interview soon.

Interview Questions

• Calculate series and parallel resistances   1 Answer
    • Describe the operation of a squirrel cage induction motor. Describe slip. Calculate the synchronous speed of a 6 pole 60hz AC motor.   1 Answer
    • What is an SCR, how do they operate?   1 Answer
    • What is a P.I.D.?   1 Answer
    • What is a current transformer, and how do they work?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Nucor.

Interview

Went well. Process took a while but they are just thorough in their review of candidates. The process in total took around 3 months. Called for a phone interview, then asked to come in for a couple in-person interviews, then a personality test.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Nucor.

Interview

Long and slow. Must get positives from all that interview you. Any negatives and you are out. Must go through a personality profile to get supervisor and up positions that adds to the slow process. 1 hour from airport. Be prepared for multiple people asking the same questions in different manners at different panels. Don't overdress they are business casual. Overdressing does not impress them and if you get a plant tour if is quite dirty

Interview Questions

• What have you done to discipline a subordinate?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much negotiating. You take waht they offer or they move on and it is usually low but not unfair.

Maintenance Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Nucor.

Interview

Very thorough, process can be rather long, taking up to 6 months. Included a psychological evaluation during the 2nd interview. Potential candidates have been known to attend 2 -6 interviews with this company, my personal interview only required 2. Questions were mostly skewed toward personality and teamwork, relatively few regarding technical aspects of the job.

Interview Questions

• Coming from an educated background and business related fields, why would you want to work in an industrial environment, and what can you bring to this type of field?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They give you an offer, and you either accept or deny. Lots of potential for upward growth once hired on though.

Interview

Take a willingness survey upon job opening, contacted weeks later for assessments, 3 interviews which 1 includes an interview with a professional counselor. This hiring process takes a while to complete.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation phase... Started at $13.30 and now maxed out at $16. There aren't performance based pay increases for admin, only cost of living increases. There is a ROA bonus plus profit sharing.

Intern Interview

Interview

Resume was sent in by a friend who had worked here previously. Resume was reviewed internally, after which I was offered a phone interview. Typically, I believe they offer on site interviews, however, I was hired kind of late. I received an offer letter approximately a week after the phone interview was conducted. Travel to site was reimbursed and housing was paid for all summer.

Interview Questions

• Please describe the principles of Scanning Electron Microscopy   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Interview

I interviewed for a few different plants, for a total of 4 interviews. I was then offered a position after the 4th interview. The first interview was at my college, second was a dinner with an interview, third was a phone interview, and the last was a plant visit with an interview at the end.

IT Programmer Interview

Application

Interview

Multiple interviews by phone and in person at multiple locations. The process is extremely long and can take months for some people. For IT positions you will interview with business users and non technical be prepared to be able to translate technical to business.

Interview Questions

• Very few technical cases, much more interested in personality.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No room for negotiation.

Metallurgist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nucor.

Interview

Interview was scripted. Four to five rounds of similar questions posed by managers, sales representatives, and other plant personnel. Typical questions ranged from how the candidate feels about team environment, what their attitudes were concerning ethical behavior, and other generic strengths / weaknesses type. I think I subconsciously sabotaged my own interview because I couldn't see myself living in the rural area where the mill was located. Also, my personality did not mesh well with other plant personnel. When thinking about working at Nucor one must find an opening at their Berkeley (Charleston, SC) mill or accept that the job will be located in a remote area -- meaning you either commute a good distance from a mid-sized town or you live in a very small town.

Interview Questions

• "When was the last time that stands out when someone asked you to do something you knew was wrong and how did you respond?"   Answer Question

Maintenance Electrician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Blytheville, AR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Nucor (Blytheville, AR).

Interview

Was introduced to the job via headhunter. Initial interview was technical over the phone. Fairly basic questions about controllers and motor theory, some troubleshooting. Face to face interview was scheduled for a couple weeks later, consisted of a panel interview and a technical exam. Technical questions again, standard personality questions (what's your biggest strength, weakness, most challenging day, etc.) The face-to-face process has completely changed since I interviewed. Technical exam is replaced with a personality exam. Two panel interviews are convened. Drug test and background check are performed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was with regards to starting grade. Electricians usually start out at a 3, based on experience and need I started at a 4.