Nutanix

Updated Oct 3, 2014
Updated Oct 3, 2014

2.9

Member of Technical Staff QE Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nutanix.

The Hiring process until the feedback was very well defined.
    They had 1 technical phone screen interview which was based on my back ground and simple coding question to reverse the words in a string . Then I was called for onsite. The first few interviewers asked questions which were beyond my background. They focussed on trouble shooting skills in Linux and other networking functionality . A couple of developers did interview me. Their questions were standard.

The worst part was they didnt give me any feedback . Seeing the other reviewers for this company , it seems to be the standard practice for this company.

Interview Questions
    • Trouble shooting skills in Linux and kept probing on that.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nutanix.

There was a phone screen with a recruiter, and then a group interview with multiple members from the team, including the manager/director. A lot of the questions were in regards to being a culture fit, but they also wanted to see what creative recruiting strategies that I could bring to the team and what would make me different from the others. After this in person interview, I also had to talk with one of the VPs who asked me to briefly go over my background and experience.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was for me to give my "pitch" on Nutanix to a potential candidate, what would I say? So I did that on the spot.   Answer Question
    There wasn't much negotiation for this position as I was already making the maximum amount for my years of experience.

Member of Technical Staff QA Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nutanix in July 2014.

Phone screen and then onsite interview.
    Recruiter said he will contact me back with the feedback.
    Never got back.
    They should have atleast courtesy to provide the feedback as I spent one full day for the interview.They still owe me the feedback.

However, they seemed very aggressive and prompt in the start of the process but very unprofessional later on.

Interview Questions
    • There were several questions beyond the scope of my skillset and even beyond the scope of job requirement.
      I answered most of the questions though.
        Answer Question

Pre-Sales Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Nutanix in April 2014.

Looking to relocate and found a Pre-Sales position in another state. I reached out to a former colleague who works at Nutanex and they submitted a referral with my resume.

I was quickly contacted by the hiring manager and had a conversation regarding the job and territory. All went well. A week later I had lined up 3 additional interviews, one of them technical. All went well. I heard nothing. Noticed the posting was renewed. The fact that I was looking to relocate seemed to be against me but it was to a region I was very familiar with as I had lived and worked there before. I contacted HR since the hiring manager did not respond to my email's and calls. Apparently the manager was away and would reach out when he returned.

Once he was back I was scheduled to talk to the Sales Rep that covers the territory. We had a great conversation about the role and selling. I have been in sales for many years so this was a breeze. I was in the finalist group at least.

Again, nothing for weeks. I was house hunting where we were looking to relocate and emaiedl the hiring manager with that info in case they tried to call my home and we were not there. I gave my cell in case he needed to reach me. No reply from the hiring manager. We found several house options and i was waiting for the offer to pull the trigger. Still nothing. I reached out again. Still nothing, no response. I was obliviously not their first choice. I got the feeling that they did not want to deal with someone relocating.

Finally, a month after my last interview I get an email, not a call from the HR person or the hiring manager, which is totally expected when you get this far down the road, but a generic email thanking me for my interest but no offer.

This was by far the most disorganized and somewhat unprofessional process I have ever encountered. I still think that they have a great technology. Their hiring process... meh!

Software Development Engineer In Test, Intern (Linux, Python) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Nutanix in April 2014.

I applied through my university , Nutanix guys are fast , they replied back very soon.

First - it was phone interview with technical recruiter. Asked about projects , experiences(Non technical)
    Second - Technical phone interview. Asked questions on StringBuilder & StringBuffer , Write a code to convert array of strings to a dictionary.

Interview Questions
    • vi editor shortcuts like shortcut to undo !! (unexpected)   Answer Question

Solutions and Performance Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nutanix.

After applying online, I was contacted by a recruiter via email. After responding to the email, the recruiter scheduled a call with me. 15 minutes after the scheduled call time I received an email from the recruiter stating he wasn't able to get through to my number. He was dialing the wrong number. I am not entirely certain where he obtained the number he was dialing but it was not the number provided on both my application or my resume. He realized his mistake and called the right number. The recruiter was professional, however was confused as to what position I applied for. At this point I was a bit taken back by the apparent disorganization but proceeded. I Was asked some basic questions, which were read off a list of standard questions. After answering the questions, I was told I would be contacted to schedule a series of interviews. 2 days later, I was scheduled for 2 phone interviews.

I received the 1st call. This time 10 minutes late. When I answered, I could barely hear the interviewer. When I advised the interviewer of the connection issue, he told me he was outside and would need to call me back from a different phone. He called back shortly after and advised me to please hold as he had to review my resume. At this point I began to wonder how he had planned to interview me from outside originally, without my resume. After about 5 minutes of awkward silence, he began asking questions which seemed a bit off considering the position I applied for and what was on my resume. I explained my limited knowledge in the area of his questioning, but he continued asking questions on the same topic. I believe these must have been scripted questions, thus he could not deviate from them. This went on for about 30 uncomfortable minutes. During this time I also learned I was being interviewed for a different position than the one in which I applied. In fact there were no openings for the position I applied for. Even though the position I applied for was still posted on both their site and on Linkedin at that very time (I checked after the interview).

I was then asked why I wanted to leave my current position with my employer. I advised it was not because I was unhappy with my current employer or role, but was looking for a change and to explore a new technology with a startup company. He advised me that this was not the case and that I would never have applied if I were not in fact unhappy with my job and employer. After this, I was happy to let the interview end.

Shortly after this call, I received the 2nd interview call. This interviewer was much better prepared and directed the line of questioning closer to what was on my resume. Scenarios were given involving troubleshooting and problem solving. Not the academic type standard questioning I received in the 1st interview. Unfortunately, at this point I was no longer interested in working for this company or the position they were interviewing me for.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were unexpected as they were not in line with what I was applying for or on my resume.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Nutanix in March 2014.

The three coding questions are: Valid Parentheses, FizzBuzz, Traverse root folder. The three problems are not hard but it seems that the interviewer didn't know what the problems exactly mean. He also asked me about how to write a fsck(file system checker) and how to check inode and things like that.

QA Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Nutanix in February 2014.

Phone screen interview

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Nutanix.

Applied online and got a test which I submitted. After few days they called me for an interview which was unorganized. One of the interviewers was not present in the company at the time it was scheduled. They just picked a random person and asked him to interview me.

The expectation was different from my skill sets and did not go through it.

MTS-Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Nutanix in July 2013.

Applied online- Recruiter contacted me in couple of days. Schedule 1st phone interview for general introduction and experience related questions. Followed by programming quiz to implement multithreaded programming question. Followed by phone interview. Quiz was good. Difficulty level was okay. Could not proceed further because messed up badly in phone interview. Overall I feel interview process is good and there are great minds in company working on cool product.