Nutanix

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Support Interview

Technical Support

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Nutanix in April 2012.

Interview Details – I got an interview today with them and I have to say that I didn't make it.
It wasn't anything big why I didn't make it, but it's just not the perfect fit.

It looks like the people here are looking for fresh college students and not people who are experienced in support with soft skills and good strong troubleshooting skills.

Most of the questions I got were really nitty gritty questions (ie OSI layer related)
The guy came off the bat with -- what's the OSI layer, I felt like I was in a college exam again. They aren't really interested in troubleshooting skills or skill sets that offer value.

Not to say that his question wasn't valid, but it was a bit elementary to test your skills. A better question to test your skills would have been: "If issue A happened, how will you go about fixing issue A?"

You can look up the OSI model in 5 minutes and answer his question, but honestly understanding the OSI model is elementary, and I have to say I didn't answer it because the question truly caught me off guard.

He went on to ask some really low level basic questions that everyone should know, but wouldn't immediately answer correctly. It won't really matter if you knew what VM files are or the extension, since that would be learned through experience as well as just repetitiveness of using VM. (btw, VMX would be VM files).

I Just want to put forward that the interviewer was really nice, but questions were all wrong and those questions would probably eventually just bring in some new college student. If you were looking for that -- no problem. But someone experienced in support won't know that off the top of their heads unless they are already working on it constantly, and in the support world it won't make sense to just look at the OSI layer all day.

Questions should test cognitive skills, not just simple answer questions.

As a technical support role, unless you like call centers, this is what I believe will be the path of development for Nutanix.

Not knocking them, if that's the idea they are going for -- great. but I doubt the stress will be worth the pay. Glad I did fail this one, since their questions fitted more of a college grad than an experienced engineer.

Interview Questions

• In the TCP/IP stack what are the 5 OSI layers involved? (paraphrasing)   View Answer
  • when turning on a computer and going to a browser and typing in an address, what happens (according to the osi layer)? (paraphrasing)   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Nutanix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nutanix Technical Support interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Nutanix employees and interview candidates.