O.C. Tanner

11 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Anonymous Interview

Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at O.C. Tanner in March 2011.

Interview Details – Got a phone call from recruiter asking if interested. He was supposed to call me again next day but he called after 1 month. I went to the interview and was fine people.

Interview Question – How smart are you?   Answer Question

Client Specialist Interview

Client Specialist

Interviewed at O.C. Tanner

Interview Details – First had a phone interview with a recruiter that is outsourced by the company. In person interview with hiring manager was good. He has been with the company for 27 years and it was his first job out of college. Hiring manager very friendly and informative about the position. He wanted to make sure I had all of my questions answered thoroughly.

Interview Question – Tell me why you want to work with O.C. Tanner.   Answer Question

Ring Department Interview

Ring Department

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at O.C. Tanner.

Interview Details – The company now hires through SOS temps. Then you are on a trial period to make sure you can do the job.

Interview Question – They want to make sure your a team player, get along well with others   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer

Interviewed at O.C. Tanner

Interview Details – The hiring process started well when a Director contacted me via email and scheduled a lunch interview. A couple architects and directors showed up for the initial meeting and asked general non-programming questions. Later, I was called in for an on-site interview where I was supposed to meet with the members of the prospective team. No one seemed to have received any training on conducting an interview. I was asked to pair program with one guy to write the game, Bingo. I have nothing against TDD, but I think it is a total waste of time if you write a test to test whether a constructor works as expected. Another guy brought his laptop and asked me to find out flaws in his code. After I did provide a few suggestions, this guy seemed a little pissed. The final straw was sitting in the cubicle with a QA. He showed me some ruby code for automation which had some basic flaws such as file name of the config file being hard coded in the project. Each QA has to change it to suit their personal dev machines. I suggested them change that to a convention. After a few hours of weirdness the director showed me around and started negotiating the salary. Maybe it's me, but it's hard to trust a manager who asks to accept less salary in lieu of a larger bonus. His spiel about importance of 100% code coverage & TDD nazism left a bad taste and showed how the company blindly followed advice of some consultant.

After this weird experience, I was unsure what to expect. Although I was able to answer programming questions, such as SQL join, I did not know how to feel. I waited for them to get back to me. Few days, weeks, months.. No one ever contacted or responded to my emails.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at O.C. Tanner.

Interview Details – Be prepared for a VERY long and confusing process.

Reason for Declining – salary

Sales Administrator Interview

Sales Administrator

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at O.C. Tanner.

Interview Details – I was recruited by an independent agency for the job. The recruiter was super excited and kept telling me how lucky I was to be chosen to interview with OC Tanner. I was told they were looking for someone who likes to be busy all of the time.

Interview Question – I didn't find any questions difficult or unexpected. I met first with the independent recruiter via telephone, then the recruiter employed by OC Tanner, then the office staff that I eventually worked with. What I found odd was my final interview where I was asked to go to lunch with my future co-workers. They kept talking about the job and me working there, however I had to ask for the job. It seemed excessive for an administrative position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I spoke with the recruiter who stated the salary was from $45k-47K with bonuses. This turned out to be $43k with bonuses based on the Managing Director's ability to sell and meet our sales quota. Unfortunately, mine did not so I did not see bonuses.

Senior Ruby Developer Interview

Senior Ruby Developer
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at O.C. Tanner in December 2012.

Interview Details – Application Process:

I found O.C. Tanner through a post on Craigslist and applied online.

The online application was absolutely the worst part of the process--almost unbearable.
It wasn't even clear whether or not my applicate was completed when I got to the end. After that I heard nothing for more than two weeks.

By the time some one called me I had forgotten that I even applied. I had already finished numerous interviews at other companies and had three offers.

First Contact

One of the team leads eventually called and I told him I wasn't interested. He persisted and by his excitement and enthusiasm convinced to meet for coffee. I really don't think I've ever heard any one so excited about where they worked or what they were doing.

We met for coffee and I really liked what he had to say so I decide to come in for an interview.

Onsite Interview 1

After arriving on site I had to register with security, get a badge and wait. After the team lead picked me up we went to his office had a brief talk. Then I showed some code I had written and we discussed it. After that we did some pair programming together, on an actual project he was working on.

Following the pairing session two other team leads joined us and the three leads asked me various questions about work history, the kinds of projects I had worked on, my technical knowledge, and whether or not I play nice with others.

Onsite Interview 2

The following day the first lead called and asked me to come in for a second interview.

First I met one-on-one with another team lead that was not in the earlier interview. We had a get to know you chat and then discussed some of the projects I had worked on and what O.C. Tanner was like.

Next, I had another one-on-one with yet another team lead that I hadn't already met. We discussed software architecture, and security.

Finally, I met with the CTO, and another lead from the first interview and talked all about software, people skills, and project management. The CTO also asked a logical puzzel that he coached me through as I struggled on the white board. At the end we discussed compensation.

Overall it was a good experience and I'm happy to be at the company.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write on the whiteboard a REST API including the HTTP methods, part of which I got wrong.   Answer Question
  • I was given a logical puzzel about having a certain number of identical stones, all but one weighing the same, and asked the least number of weighings necessary to find the unequal stone.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – We negotiated in person during the last interview and then briefly over the phone.

Manager Interview

Manager
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at O.C. Tanner.

Interview Details – It took a long time to get from one interview to another.

Interview Question – Give me some examples of effective internal branding.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated a little and they accepted.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at O.C. Tanner.

Interview Details – Hiring is channeled through a 3rd party. There were two interviews. The first is with the hiring manager and one of their peers. The second interview is with potential peers for the position being hired for. After two interviews, a verbal offer was extended. A written offer was not presented until my expected first day on the job.

Interview Question – The most difficult part of the interview was that one of the interviewers had a strong foreign accent and it was hard to understand the question being asked.   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Business Development Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at O.C. Tanner in January 2009.

Interview Details – Very detailed and tough to get in! A bit like getting into NASA!

Interview Question – Nothing I can remember   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – straight forward and pleasant to deal with

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for O.C. Tanner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at O.C. Tanner interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by O.C. Tanner employees and interview candidates.