O'Reilly Media

Very Easy Interview

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Human Resources Assistant
Sebastopol, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at O'Reilly Media in January 2012.

Interview Details – Brief conversation with H.R. Director followed by a phone call with staffing agency.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – H.R. Director told me the pay, asked if it was OK, and I accepted.

Production Editor Interview

Production Editor
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at O'Reilly Media in March 2009.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with HR, then an in-person interview with the hiring manager, and then a small group interview with staff members. Also had to take a copyediting test. All employees were very friendly, and the interviews were casual but also serious. The work culture is quiet, laid back, humorous, and serious all at the same time. People are cooperative and willing to listen.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Not applicable

Production Interview

Production
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at O'Reilly Media in July 2007.

Interview Details – My initial communication was a phone interview with the hiring manager. From there, we had a 1 on 1 interview in which he asked questions about my previous experience and some "personality" questions. One questions was "If you consider two ways of writing code, one where you plan out the entire architecture and one where you just start writing and plan as you go, where would you rank yourself on that continuum?"

The office culture was clearly closed and not friendly; noone noticed me walking in. I wasn't offered coffe or water; I wasn't greeted by anyone but the hiring manager. The interview ended at 12:30 pm and I wasn't offered lunch.

Interview Question – What do you do when you consider yourself "blocked" on a project?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Somewhat; the salary offer was very low and the benefits are poor. I was able to negotiate 10% increase in salary and no increase in benefits.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for O'Reilly Media? Contribute to the Community!

O'Reilly Media Videos

O'Reilly Media – Why Work for Us?

“This company was created to provide interesting work for interesting people. We follow our dreams, our curiosity, and our sense of what’s important.” –Tim O’Reilly, Founder and CEO What We Offer O’Reilly Media… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at O'Reilly Media interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by O'Reilly Media employees and interview candidates.