O'Reilly Media

Relevance Date Difficulty

Production Interview

Production
Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at O'Reilly Media in July 2007.

Interview Details – My initial communication was a phone interview with the hiring manager. From there, we had a 1 on 1 interview in which he asked questions about my previous experience and some "personality" questions. One questions was "If you consider two ways of writing code, one where you plan out the entire architecture and one where you just start writing and plan as you go, where would you rank yourself on that continuum?"

The office culture was clearly closed and not friendly; noone noticed me walking in. I wasn't offered coffe or water; I wasn't greeted by anyone but the hiring manager. The interview ended at 12:30 pm and I wasn't offered lunch.

Interview Question – What do you do when you consider yourself "blocked" on a project?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Somewhat; the salary offer was very low and the benefits are poor. I was able to negotiate 10% increase in salary and no increase in benefits.

Worked for O'Reilly Media? Contribute to the Community!