OC&C Strategy Consultants Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2015

3.3

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at OC&C Strategy Consultants.

Interview

I started the interview process by applying through my school's career center website. Prior to this, I had reached out to many alums from my school currently working in the Boston office. I was selected for an interview with a GPA probably half a standard deviation above my school's average but with a very difficult course load and as a three-season athlete.

On-campus interviews were laid-back and consisted of two very basic cases. One of them was a market sizing question concerning textbook sales and the other concerned mapping wireless carrier quality. Fit questions comprised only around 5 minutes of the 2 30 minute interviews. There was also a 45 minute quantitative test that afternoon on campus, consisting of a fast-paced fairly difficult math test.

I received an invitation for 2nd round interviews a few days later and traveled to Boston the next week for 2 45 minute interviews. The first interview was with a partner, and consisted of a harder case about a distributor for large printing equipment. The second interview was about half fit questions, with a shorter, 20 minute case focused on a bulk discount retailer.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time that you were on a team where things went poorly.   Answer Question

I received an offer from a Big 3 firm.

Other Interview Reviews for OC&C Strategy Consultants

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at OC&C Strategy Consultants (Boston, MA) in November 2012.

Interview

I interviewed with a recruiter on campus. It was a very friendly and informal process. We did a brief part of a case interview, but mostly chatted about living in Boston and our favorite desserts. I got a second round interview in the Boston office. I interviewed with two more senior members of the office. One of them was friendly and we worked through a standard case. The other was very unfriendly and he asked me what turned out to be a trick question.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at OC&C Strategy Consultants (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

Two back to back 45 minute interviews. First was a fit. Had nothing in common with the guy and it was hard to have a conversation. Second was a market sizing the market size for light bars (the thing that holds the sirens on top of police cars). It was pretty straightforward, but I think the fit interview sunk me. Its been three weeks and still haven't heard from them. Assuming rejection.

Interview Questions

• What is the market size for light bars (the thing that holds sirens on top of police cars? Stick to police cars only.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at OC&C Strategy Consultants (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

I was interviewed by two Managers back to back. It took a total of 3 hours. The first person spent 5 minutes asking me about my background and CV and why I want to do consulting and we spent the rest of the hour doing a market sizing question and a standard profit & loss case study.
    The second person interviewed me for another hour for another case study with time for questions at the end. The two didn't give any direction during the case studies so I thought my responses were OK and they didn't want me to go deeper. The case studies were incredibly easy, so it had quite straightforward solutions. It was difficult to come up with creative ones for such easy scenarios with obvious solutions.

They ended up not letting me go to the next round because I was "too general." - even though I did a great job keeping the flow of conversation throughout and asking all the right questions.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at OC&C Strategy Consultants in October 2009.

Interview

1st round was two 30 minute cases + 45 minute multiple choice quantitative test. Interviewers were a bit conceited; clearly interested in hearing their own voice. Cases weren't that interesting. Partner that interviewed me didn't know basic economics terminology. Test was obnoxious; had to do with reading graphs, calculating with unwieldy numbers, but getting exact answers.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OC&C Strategy Consultants.

Interview

The first stage is submitting a cover letter and CV online after which, if successful, you receive an invite for online testing that includes SHL numerical and verbal reasoning tests OC&C case study test. Two days after completing the test I got an invitation for an interview. The interview is split in two parts. There are two case study interviews in the morning, with lower management team, they are both case studies based and last for approximately 30-40 minutes. The interviewers were really friendly and I enjoyed working through the case studies. There was only one CV based questions. If successful at that stage, you will receive a call for an afternoon interview with the partners. The structure is the same, but you get a bit more time and will be asked more motivational questions.

Interview Questions

• What is the size of the UK market for water machines?
      How many vet practices are there in the UK?

Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at OC&C Strategy Consultants in January 2015.

Interview

The online application was followed by psychometric tests, and then an invitation to interview in their London office. Two interview stages, both on the same day. The first round interview consists of two back to back interviews with Managers, these last 30 minutes and consist of a fit questions, a small case, and a chance to ask them any questions. They then give you a break for lunch, when they will call you to inform whether or not you passed to the final round, which consists of two interviews with Partners.

Both my first round interviews went quite well. The interviewers made me feel comfortable, they were easy to speak with and their personality seemed to be aligned with the relaxed and cooperative company culture.

I was gutted not to get a call back for the final round, because I was confident that I did quite well in the first round. I was looking forward to speaking with the partners more about their vision for the company, as it has immense scope in international markets.

Overall, working at this company seemed incredible and I have no idea what put them off me, but I will be re-applying as soon as I can.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the market size for water coolers in the UK.   Answer Question
    • Estimate the market size for computer hardware for businesses in the UK.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at OC&C Strategy Consultants (London, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

After standard online testing, I was invited to interview - both rounds were condensed into one day (they would typically be a week apart).

Morning: test on laptops. Different to usual psychometric testing as they had designed their own test which assessed numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning etc. I believe this is new for them, but if you perform well on normal psychometric testing, you should be fine. 2 30-minute case study interviews, both with a market sizing element.

I was then sent away for two hours to wait for a call informing me whether I would be progressing to the afternoon session.

Afternoon: 2 45-minute case study interviews, this time with partners. Again, market sizing elements in both, but these longer interviews allowed more time to explore the strategy side.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate as the salary was extreme generous for an entry level position, including a sign-on bonus.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at OC&C Strategy Consultants (London, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

After the CV screening I took a verbal reasoning and a math online test (both SHL). They were not very challenging so don't worry too much about them. The first round of interviews consisted of two 1:1 30-min long case based interviews. They asked a couple of CV related questions and the standard why consulting & why OC&C. Really strong company culture, very friendly interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Two one-on-one case based interviews. Both of them about market estimation   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OC&C Strategy Consultants (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Applied through university's career service - emailed through the CV and cover letter. Was invited to do an SHL test a week or so later. Fairly standard test with numerical and verbal parts. Was then invited for an hour-long phone interview the week after (I applied for an oversea office). The interview was conducted completely in English despite I was told in advance that it would be in both English and the local language. The interview itself was pretty standard: they ran through a few CV/experience-based questions then moved on to the cases. To be fair the question wasn't hard - it was a general market sizing question with some additional follow-ups but I messed up an important assumption. The interviewer was friendly and reasonably helpful. It was a good interview experience except that their HR did not respond at all when I asked for feedback after receiving the generic rejection email. A few top firms including McKinsey do give feedback to candidates at this stage, others would at least respond if they have policy against giving feedback, so that was slightly annoying.