OHSU Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2014
Updated Sep 19, 2014

2.8

Senior Trainer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at OHSU in September 2014.

Applied and it took about a month to get an interview. This was surprising as I have applied for other opportunities at OHSU and their job board "status" has NOTHING to do with the real process. The status stays "active application" during all interviews and nothing changes until the position is filled. Right now, I am waiting to hear about the results of my interview.
    I rode the bus to my interview as parking is nuts on the hill. I was surprised at the lack of upkeep on the facility I interviewed in. Very old building, needed maintenance on the brick steps, a power-wash and de-mossing badly.

I was greeted by an admin to the dean, she was very nice and welcoming. The interview was late starting and was with 2 members of the faculty. Good conversation. Still waiting to hear on follow up.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you had one-on-one contact/mentoring/supervision with a trainee and the outcome didn't go well.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

initial communications were great. but later increases in salary were very small. Hiring process took long time. After joining, the IT department took two weeks to set up an account. Even badge took a long time to be processed.

Research Associate Interview

during hiring manager agreed to a salary. Later he backed out. But I had to stay steady that I will not accept the position unless the originally discussed salary is given,

Technician Interview

The process is through online submission that is forwarded to the department via HR. There was one day interview and an evaluation of technical skills required for the job. Certain requirements must be met such as certifications. They then notify you of the selection within a reasonable time.

Interview Questions
    • With such a narrow skill, the questions were straight forward without any curveballs.   Answer Question
    HR assessed experience and certifications and reasonably offered a salary above my previous job.

MRI Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online – interviewed at OHSU in March 2014.

Following a 90-minute in-person interview with two members of department leadership, and a tour of the department, I was told "You'll definitely be hearing from us." After several weeks passed with no word, I contacted the recruiter, and was told that the position had been filled without anyone bothering to notify me. I had expected more from OHSU; but now I don't know why.

Interview Questions
    • Two basic technical questions regarding the specific field of work for which I was applying.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at OHSU in January 2014.

I had an initial phone interview and was invited to have one on one interviews with each of the Physicians that I would be working closely with as their Research Assistant. The process was much more relaxed than I anticipated. Both of the physicians were warm and friendly and actually seemed genuinely interested in my responses. I've had less positive experiences where the interviewer seemed bored or I got grilled with technical questions. This process was more like seeing if our goals met.

Interview Questions
    • There were a couple questions that could be difficult if you aren't a person that thinks long term. "Where do you see yourself in five years?" "What are your career goals?" "If x doesn't work out, what will you do?"   Answer Question
    I'm still a student and was pretty thrilled with the offer of a salaried position, so I didn't feel comfortable negotiating. However, I felt that the offer was strong and I'm honestly really happy to be working at OHSU.

Psychology Intern Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at OHSU.

Very structured. Communications were adequate. Interviewing with several different faculty members. Each faculty had a different approach. Each had a very distinctly different personality. There was appropriate separate area for interviewees to gather. However, a lengthy amount of time occurred for which there was no contact with interviewees and left them amongst each other allowing for unprofessional interactions, which was left unchecked.

Interview Questions
    • If you could pull any toy from your childhood into the present, what would it be   Answer Question
    Nonnegotiable

Senior Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OHSU.

I met with three people from the department. No one asked me about my experience or background. I spent an hour listening to the director pitch the department to me. It wasn't clear during the interview who the hiring manager was. It turned out it was the person seated beside me, who never asked me any questions.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any questions. I did volunteer information in response to what I was told about the position.   Answer Question
    I needed the job. I was offered the position of Research Associate, but when I received the contract, it had been downgraded to Senior Research Assistant. They were very low-ball on the salary. I was offered $58K but was able to talk them up to $60K.

Research Assistant II Interview

Contacted by email to set up a brief phone interview. Phone interview was relaxed and lasted about 15 minutes. Then I went and toured the facilities and met with the head of the lab and another member of the lab where they spent most of the time explaining the job position, but also asked me interview type questions.

Interview Questions
    • Do you want to go to grad school or any other further schooling?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OHSU in August 2013.

I applied online and after 2 weeks I received an invite for an interview. The interview was with the PI and lasted ~1 hour. We talked mostly about my past undergrad research experience, a bit about his research, and what the job entailed. After waiting a week, I was told a more experienced candidate was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected. Be prepared to talk about your past experiences.   Answer Question