OHSU Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

3.2

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

They performed a phone interview, followed by an in-person interview. The in-person meeting was in a warehouse office, where no door was specified. When I arrived, I used an outside phone to ask to be let in. I was directed to another door, where I was to phone again. When I phoned again - at the second door - the interviewer (who said she'd wait for my call) did not pick up. Needed to call three times before she answered. No explanation or apology was offered. Walking through their offices was grim. Their office space was dim and quiet, the cubicles small, and everyone looked unhappy. No one returned my smiled hello. Clearly not a positive environment. There was only one interviewer, because the second interviewer was "called away". She gave me the impression that this interview was a formality, as if it didn't matter whether the other interviewer was present.

Interview Questions

• The interview ~ about ten questions ~ was about how I handled difficulty and disappointment. How I handled conflict; How I handled not meeting management expectations; How I delivered bad news to managers; What did I do when I could not meet all management expectations; etc. It appeared they were looking for someone good at damage control - which didn't bode well for whoever they hired. Based on the questions, the interviewer's attitude, and the office setting, it's a safe bet the internal culture at OHSU must be pretty punishing.   Answer Question

PAS Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview was very professional and informative. The building was impressive and welcoming. They stayed in contact with me throughout the pre-interview and interview process. It was easy to get to the interview location and everyone I met seemed happy in their jobs. There were two people interviewing me and both seemed to enjoy their jobs.

Senior Communications Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at OHSU in June 2015.

Interview

Applied in May and heard back one month later for a phone screen. One week after phone screen, I had an in-person with the hiring manager One week after that, I was asked to complete an in-person with the head of the department I was applying for along with two potential coworkers. A reference check and personality test was requested afterwards with writing samples. I was informed a few weeks later that I was not offered the position.

Interview Questions

• No specific questions, everything was structured like a casual conversation about my experience in the field.   Answer Question

Research Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in May 2015.

Interview

I emailed the primary investigator and sent in my resume, cover letter, and transcript. Then I was called in to meet with with the PI, and two senior research associates that were heading each of the respective projects I was working on. Everyone was very friendly, and obliged me by describing each of the projects in depth. The only negative is that it has taken quite a while to hear back.

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, nurse manager called for interview and asked several questions before they would interview me. They agreed to interview me and said I was a 'good candidate'. That process was positive. At the actual interview, there was only the nurse manager. The manager kept on focusing on their MAGNET status and how they were a high risk unit and that they train the physicians going out into the community, which is expected for a university hospital. There was no focus on the actual job or the nursing team. The manager was rude during questioning and did not seem interested while asking questions. When the interview ended the manager told me that I was the last interview and they were "glad that the interviews were over." I expected more out of the face of that nursing unit and was disappointed in OHSU.

Interview Questions

• What benefits and risks are there to me for hiring you and what benefits and risks are there to you for hiring me?   Answer Question
    • What are you doing to stay up to date with current trends in nursing?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to question a plan of care   Answer Question
    • Describe your dream job   Answer Question

Career Services In Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at OHSU.

Interview

Online application, phone screening with HR, one-on-one interview with hiring manager, panel interview with entire group with 15-min presentation, follow-up interview with HR director. While the process was long, it was logical and there were no surprises. The presentation was related to the work the person in the role would be doing, so was a good screening tool.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were not able to get someone to agree/follow you   1 Answer

Practice Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in September 2014.

Interview

OHSU flew me up after a phone call with the recruiter and then hiring manager. It was an all day interview with about 20 different people. Found out day after of results

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with lean six sigma?   1 Answer

Senior Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OHSU in September 2014.

Interview

Applied and it took about a month to get an interview. This was surprising as I have applied for other opportunities at OHSU and their job board "status" has NOTHING to do with the real process. The status stays "active application" during all interviews and nothing changes until the position is filled. Right now, I am waiting to hear about the results of my interview. I rode the bus to my interview as parking is nuts on the hill. I was surprised at the lack of upkeep on the facility I interviewed in. Very old building, needed maintenance on the brick steps, a power-wash and de-mossing badly. I was greeted by an admin to the dean, she was very nice and welcoming. The interview was late starting and was with 2 members of the faculty. Good conversation. Still waiting to hear on follow up.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you had one-on-one contact/mentoring/supervision with a trainee and the outcome didn't go well.   Answer Question

MRI Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in March 2014.

Interview

Following a 90-minute in-person interview with two members of department leadership, and a tour of the department, I was told "You'll definitely be hearing from us." After several weeks passed with no word, I contacted the recruiter, and was told that the position had been filled without anyone bothering to notify me. I had expected more from OHSU; but now I don't know why.

Interview Questions

• Two basic technical questions regarding the specific field of work for which I was applying.   Answer Question

Research Assistant II Interview

Interview

Contacted by email to set up a brief phone interview. Phone interview was relaxed and lasted about 15 minutes. Then I went and toured the facilities and met with the head of the lab and another member of the lab where they spent most of the time explaining the job position, but also asked me interview type questions.

Interview Questions

• Do you want to go to grad school or any other further schooling?   1 Answer