OHSU

34 candidate interviews

Very Difficult Interview

IT Interview

IT

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at OHSU in June 2009.

Interview Details – *Phone screening
*7 page written exam. Hands on PC based testing.
*4 stage immersion life like job recreations
*4 on 1 panel interview
*1 on 1 pre-offer discussion
back ground check

Interview Question – Various questions related specifically to Macintosh platforms. Getting more and more common in the field   Answer Question

Biomedical Engineer Interview

Biomedical Engineer
Portland, OR

The process took a day - interviewed at OHSU in June 2007.

Interview Details – One on on meeting. A lot of quistions about my background

Interview Question – Why biomedical engineering?   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Project Coordinator
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at OHSU in December 2011.

Interview Details – I had two in-person interviews with two different directors, then a third phone interview with another director of a different area. The communication for setting these up was great through the Administrative Assistant. I perceived everyone to be very welcoming and nice.

Interview Question – What do you think of uncertainty? I wasn't asked the typical interview questions so it was unexpected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked for a higher salary based on my higher education.

Field Technology Analyst Interview

Field Technology Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at OHSU.

Interview Details – OHSU is extremely thorough when it comes to hiring within IT. Being public they are required to create a job posting, leave it up for a specific amount of weeks, then bring in a specific amount of initial candidates even if they all along planned on promoting within.

Step 1) Email from hiring manager inviting candidate to begin initial testing. This consisted of a 1.5-2 hour written exam with short answer, multiple choice, and essay. There were about 50 candidates in this room

Step 2) Email from hiring manager inviting candidate who successfully passed the written test and falls in the top 25% to do a hands on test. This consists of 3 testing stations.

Step 3) Email from hiring manager inviting candidate who successfully passed the hands on test inviting candidate in for a panel interview. My panel of 10 ITG employees and lasted an hour.

Overall all the employees were great people with generally long tenures averaging 8-12 years. There didn't seem to be the "know it all" who asks questions solely to show off their own knowledge in front of their peers you almost always see in IT interviews. Knowing how great ITG at OHSU is I can see why hiring is so cuthroat despite the wages being on the lower end vs market rate.

Interview Question – Explain a situation you were in the minority but knew you were right. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

PAS Specialist Interview

PAS Specialist
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at OHSU in January 2011.

Interview Details – Took them almost 2 months to get back to me. They schedule you for a phone interview first then if selected they bring you in to do a group panel style interview. On a hiring note, they usually only select OHSU employees for 1st 7days of an opening and have to have a good reason to hire externally. They asked the typical interview questions, team oriented kind. They will try to often you 1 step up from what you're currently making but they're usually no drug test to take unless its for a specific position. The background check it done through a 3rd party service they verifies your wages, dates of employment, etc. Benefits are good...kinda like a HMO because you get the best coverage by using their facilities. High co-pays though $25 each OV, $200 yearly deductible is good.

Interview Question – How do you deal with drama and gossip?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told the supervisor I was making more than I actually was, so she gave me more than my previous job. But when I did the background check to verify the information I put the correct amounts so when HR got the results it would match up.

Psychology Intern Interview

Psychology Intern

I applied through other source and interviewed at OHSU.

Interview Details – Very structured. Communications were adequate. Interviewing with several different faculty members. Each faculty had a different approach. Each had a very distinctly different personality. There was appropriate separate area for interviewees to gather. However, a lengthy amount of time occurred for which there was no contact with interviewees and left them amongst each other allowing for unprofessional interactions, which was left unchecked.

Interview Question – If you could pull any toy from your childhood into the present, what would it be   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nonnegotiable

PAS Resource Specialist Interview

PAS Resource Specialist
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OHSU in November 2012.

Interview Details – Typically, one phone screening interview, then one in-person panel interview (I was internally hired for this position). Prior to being hired at OHSU, the manager of the department I applied for had contacted me after HR forwarded my application and resume to her.

Interview Question – Any question wherein they would ask you how you would handle a particular situation on the job. It varies between departments and clinics, and oftentimes, they give you the "worst case scenario" at its absolute "worst" to see what you'd say.   Answer Question

Data Manager Interview

Data Manager

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OHSU in March 2009.

Interview Details – Three telephone interviews and submission of references. Informed will recieve a call back the following week. Heard nothing. Submitted samples of work and pay history. No professionalism in interview.

Interview Questions

• What will you do to improve the data structure?   View Answer
  • What do you do in your spare time with friends and family?   View Answer

Anesthesia Technician Interview

Anesthesia Technician

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at OHSU in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online as required for the position, then they contacted me for an interview. It was to be a position for the South Operating Rooms. I met 2 senior anesthesia technicians, and they were both very friendly. I got to see some of the South OR, which was a huge area of the OHSU Hospital on the Marquam Hill Campus.

Interview Question – What would you do if a co-worker wasn't pulling his or her own weight at the job?   Answer Question

Lab Technical Assistant/OHSU Blood Bank Interview

Lab Technical Assistant/OHSU Blood Bank
Portland, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OHSU in February 2013.

Interview Details – After applying online I didn't hear anything for over 2 weeks. I e-mailed the hiring manager directly to see if they had made any decisions for the position. She e-mailed me back saying that they'd like an interview, which was scheduled for the following week. The interview itself was very straightforward, mostly a check to see if I had the required schooling and experience based on the HR-prescribed minimums. After the interview, I didn't hear anything from the hiring manager for over 2 weeks. I tracked her down and asked her in-person if they had made a decision, at which time she took me to her office and offered me the position. All-in-all, very unprofessional and disorganized.

Interview Question – The interview was as standard as possible, nothing stood out as unusual.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Difficult. Management didn't give opportunity to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at OHSU

Worked for OHSU? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OHSU interview questions and advice. All 34 interview reviews posted anonymously by OHSU employees and interview candidates.