OHSU Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.8

IT Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at OHSU in June 2009.

*Phone screening
    *7 page written exam. Hands on PC based testing.
    *4 stage immersion life like job recreations
    *4 on 1 panel interview
    *1 on 1 pre-offer discussion
    back ground check

Interview Questions
    • Various questions related specifically to Macintosh platforms. Getting more and more common in the field   Answer Question

Biomedical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

The process took a dayinterviewed at OHSU in June 2007.

One on on meeting. A lot of quistions about my background

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at OHSU in December 2011.

I had two in-person interviews with two different directors, then a third phone interview with another director of a different area. The communication for setting these up was great through the Administrative Assistant. I perceived everyone to be very welcoming and nice.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think of uncertainty? I wasn't asked the typical interview questions so it was unexpected.   View Answer
    I asked for a higher salary based on my higher education.

Field Technology Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OHSU.

OHSU is extremely thorough when it comes to hiring within IT. Being public they are required to create a job posting, leave it up for a specific amount of weeks, then bring in a specific amount of initial candidates even if they all along planned on promoting within.

Step 1) Email from hiring manager inviting candidate to begin initial testing. This consisted of a 1.5-2 hour written exam with short answer, multiple choice, and essay. There were about 50 candidates in this room

Step 2) Email from hiring manager inviting candidate who successfully passed the written test and falls in the top 25% to do a hands on test. This consists of 3 testing stations.

Step 3) Email from hiring manager inviting candidate who successfully passed the hands on test inviting candidate in for a panel interview. My panel of 10 ITG employees and lasted an hour.

Overall all the employees were great people with generally long tenures averaging 8-12 years. There didn't seem to be the "know it all" who asks questions solely to show off their own knowledge in front of their peers you almost always see in IT interviews. Knowing how great ITG at OHSU is I can see why hiring is so cuthroat despite the wages being on the lower end vs market rate.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation you were in the minority but knew you were right. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

PAS Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at OHSU in January 2011.

Took them almost 2 months to get back to me. They schedule you for a phone interview first then if selected they bring you in to do a group panel style interview. On a hiring note, they usually only select OHSU employees for 1st 7days of an opening and have to have a good reason to hire externally. They asked the typical interview questions, team oriented kind. They will try to often you 1 step up from what you're currently making but they're usually no drug test to take unless its for a specific position. The background check it done through a 3rd party service they verifies your wages, dates of employment, etc. Benefits are good...kinda like a HMO because you get the best coverage by using their facilities. High co-pays though $25 each OV, $200 yearly deductible is good.

Interview Questions
    I told the supervisor I was making more than I actually was, so she gave me more than my previous job. But when I did the background check to verify the information I put the correct amounts so when HR got the results it would match up.

Psychology Intern Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at OHSU.

Very structured. Communications were adequate. Interviewing with several different faculty members. Each faculty had a different approach. Each had a very distinctly different personality. There was appropriate separate area for interviewees to gather. However, a lengthy amount of time occurred for which there was no contact with interviewees and left them amongst each other allowing for unprofessional interactions, which was left unchecked.

Interview Questions
    • If you could pull any toy from your childhood into the present, what would it be   Answer Question
    Nonnegotiable

PAS Resource Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at OHSU in November 2012.

Typically, one phone screening interview, then one in-person panel interview (I was internally hired for this position). Prior to being hired at OHSU, the manager of the department I applied for had contacted me after HR forwarded my application and resume to her.

Interview Questions
    • Any question wherein they would ask you how you would handle a particular situation on the job. It varies between departments and clinics, and oftentimes, they give you the "worst case scenario" at its absolute "worst" to see what you'd say.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at OHSU in October 2013.

The interview process was brutal. I was an internal applicant and went through 3 panel interviews (about 5 - 6 people per interview), plus 3 additional rounds of interviews with physicians and higher level leadership. It was a very stressful process.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think were the biggest mistakes in the history of this department?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. It was take-it-or-leave it.

Data Manager Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OHSU in March 2009.

Three telephone interviews and submission of references. Informed will recieve a call back the following week. Heard nothing. Submitted samples of work and pay history. No professionalism in interview.

Interview Questions
    • What will you do to improve the data structure?   View Answer
    • What do you do in your spare time with friends and family?   View Answer

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at OHSU.

Two total interviews. One phone interview and an in-person interview. It was a group/panel interview, consisting of about 6-7 people who interviewed me in a one hour sitting. They will ask you questions one after another, while writing notes down on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked about confidential information and how I would handle having access to this sensitive information. Also basic interview questions such as your greatest weaknesses, strengths, why you would like to work for the company, how can you improve the position, and what you hope to accomplish in your first 3 months of work if hired.   Answer Question
    Director called me 2 days after in-person interview, checked my references and called to negotiate salary/pay.