OHSU Interview Questions

Updated Apr 2, 2015
Updated Apr 2, 2015

2.8

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, nurse manager called for interview and asked several questions before they would interview me. They agreed to interview me and said I was a 'good candidate'. That process was positive. At the actual interview, there was only the nurse manager. The manager kept on focusing on their MAGNET status and how they were a high risk unit and that they train the physicians going out into the community, which is expected for a university hospital. There was no focus on the actual job or the nursing team. The manager was rude during questioning and did not seem interested while asking questions. When the interview ended the manager told me that I was the last interview and they were "glad that the interviews were over." I expected more out of the face of that nursing unit and was disappointed in OHSU.

Interview Questions

• What benefits and risks are there to me for hiring you and what benefits and risks are there to you for hiring me?   Answer Question
    • What are you doing to stay up to date with current trends in nursing?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to question a plan of care   Answer Question
    • Describe your dream job   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at OHSU.

Interview

Phone interview followed by an in person interview with two people in the department. One of the questions in the interview flagged for me that it would not be a good fit. They were looking for someone long term and I am looking for a position that will offer growth in the future. I was asked to come in for another interview with the department head and declined, sharing my career goals as an explanation.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current position?   Answer Question
    • Are you willing to stay in this position long term (more than two years)?   1 Answer

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OHSU in August 2012.

Interview

I applied online, and the HR person emailed me about the position. We had a phone interview and then she set up another phone interview for me to talk to the supervisor and the main person I would be working with (I lived long distance). The phone interview was fairly easy and then I set up an in-person interview. They didn't pay for the flight or relocation expenses or anything. The in-person interview was also fairly easy but I was very qualified for the job, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, I can't think of anything. They pretty much just asked me questions right off of the job description.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at OHSU.

Interview

Two total interviews. One phone interview and an in-person interview. It was a group/panel interview, consisting of about 6-7 people who interviewed me in a one hour sitting. They will ask you questions one after another, while writing notes down on your resume.

Interview Questions

• Was asked about confidential information and how I would handle having access to this sensitive information. Also basic interview questions such as your greatest weaknesses, strengths, why you would like to work for the company, how can you improve the position, and what you hope to accomplish in your first 3 months of work if hired.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Director called me 2 days after in-person interview, checked my references and called to negotiate salary/pay.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at OHSU in October 2013.

Interview

The interview process was brutal. I was an internal applicant and went through 3 panel interviews (about 5 - 6 people per interview), plus 3 additional rounds of interviews with physicians and higher level leadership. It was a very stressful process.

Interview Questions

• What do you think were the biggest mistakes in the history of this department?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. It was take-it-or-leave it.

Office Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at OHSU in June 2014.

Interview

Process to get an interview was incredibly cumbersome and time consuming. Perhaps that was due to the department that I was dealing with? However, it seems to take that big of an organization quite a while to decide and then to proceed with finally pulling the trigger and hiring the correct candidate. The infrastructure seems very cumbersome, but the people are amazing. Once onsite however, the interviews and interviewers were amazing. What a terrific organization.

Interview Questions

• "Why did you leave your former position?" Only because it was an acrimonious split. The other questions were thought provoking and genuine, not just canned. They seek to know you level of knowledge and adjust accordingly.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary and benefits were generous.

Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at OHSU in August 2014.

Interview

I submitted documents, received a call from someone in HR who asked me general screening-type questions then was invited to interview with the hiring manager. I also interviewed with the staff during a group interview.

Career Services In Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at OHSU.

Interview

Online application, phone screening with HR, one-on-one interview with hiring manager, panel interview with entire group with 15-min presentation, follow-up interview with HR director. While the process was long, it was logical and there were no surprises. The presentation was related to the work the person in the role would be doing, so was a good screening tool.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were not able to get someone to agree/follow you   1 Answer

Senior Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at OHSU in September 2014.

Interview

Applied and it took about a month to get an interview. This was surprising as I have applied for other opportunities at OHSU and their job board "status" has NOTHING to do with the real process. The status stays "active application" during all interviews and nothing changes until the position is filled. Right now, I am waiting to hear about the results of my interview.
    I rode the bus to my interview as parking is nuts on the hill. I was surprised at the lack of upkeep on the facility I interviewed in. Very old building, needed maintenance on the brick steps, a power-wash and de-mossing badly.

I was greeted by an admin to the dean, she was very nice and welcoming. The interview was late starting and was with 2 members of the faculty. Good conversation. Still waiting to hear on follow up.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you had one-on-one contact/mentoring/supervision with a trainee and the outcome didn't go well.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at OHSU in February 2010.

Interview

I got interviewed with invited group of students for 2 days. At first day, I had 3 interview with different professors for 20 min each then had with program committee members over 30 mins. Next day program provided downtown trip.