OHSU Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.8

Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in August 2015.

Interview

They performed a phone interview, followed by an in-person interview. The in-person meeting was in a warehouse office, where no door was specified. When I arrived, I used an outside phone to ask to be let in. I was directed to another door, where I was to phone again. When I phoned again - at the second door - the interviewer (who said she'd wait for my call) did not pick up. Needed to call three times before she answered. No explanation or apology was offered. Walking through their offices was grim. Their office space was dim and quiet, the cubicles small, and everyone looked unhappy. No one returned my smiled hello. Clearly not a positive environment. There was only one interviewer, because the second interviewer was "called away". She gave me the impression that this interview was a formality, as if it didn't matter whether the other interviewer was present.

Interview Questions

• The interview ~ about ten questions ~ was about how I handled difficulty and disappointment. How I handled conflict; How I handled not meeting management expectations; How I delivered bad news to managers; What did I do when I could not meet all management expectations; etc. It appeared they were looking for someone good at damage control - which didn't bode well for whoever they hired. Based on the questions, the interviewer's attitude, and the office setting, it's a safe bet the internal culture at OHSU must be pretty punishing.   Answer Question

Practice Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in September 2014.

Interview

OHSU flew me up after a phone call with the recruiter and then hiring manager. It was an all day interview with about 20 different people. Found out day after of results

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with lean six sigma?   1 Answer

PAS Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview was very professional and informative. The building was impressive and welcoming. They stayed in contact with me throughout the pre-interview and interview process. It was easy to get to the interview location and everyone I met seemed happy in their jobs. There were two people interviewing me and both seemed to enjoy their jobs.

Senior Communications Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at OHSU in June 2015.

Interview

Applied in May and heard back one month later for a phone screen. One week after phone screen, I had an in-person with the hiring manager One week after that, I was asked to complete an in-person with the head of the department I was applying for along with two potential coworkers. A reference check and personality test was requested afterwards with writing samples. I was informed a few weeks later that I was not offered the position.

Interview Questions

• No specific questions, everything was structured like a casual conversation about my experience in the field.   Answer Question

Research Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OHSU (Beaverton, OR) in May 2015.

Interview

Application online, including references and cover letter. Emailed directly by PI, first interview over the phone, second interview in person with PI and lab members. The phone interview was one-on-one with the PI for about 45 min, as an introduction and explanation of the position. The in person interview was a series of one-on-one and group interviews, each lasting about 30 min, for a total of about 2.5 hours. Additional phone interview as an quick update/check-in. All interviews were more of a conversation than a formal question and answer session. Entire process was fast and friendly.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my background, research experience, and familiarity with lab techniques.   Answer Question

Research Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in May 2015.

Interview

I emailed the primary investigator and sent in my resume, cover letter, and transcript. Then I was called in to meet with with the PI, and two senior research associates that were heading each of the respective projects I was working on. Everyone was very friendly, and obliged me by describing each of the projects in depth. The only negative is that it has taken quite a while to hear back.

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OHSU in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted an application online on April 17th. Called by the nurse manager 1 hour later, set up a phone interview for April 22nd (I live in Ohio). The nurse manager and a charge nurse put me on speakerphone and it lasted about an hour. The 1 hour later the nurse manager called and offered me the job. Fantastic experience!

Interview Questions

• Tell me three specific things your coworkers would say about you.   Answer Question
    • Why OHSU and why this position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to partner with the patient or the patient's family to change the plan of care.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to give advice to a coworker.   Answer Question

Financial Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in March 2011.

Interview

I was working as a temp for them when they were looking to have the Financial Specialist position filled. I worked in the Executive Admin office and hit it off with the staff very well. When my assignment ended I asked if there might be some additional work (translation "I'll do anything to stay on board!!"). A couple of weeks later, I got an e-mail from the associate administrator asking I meet with her to talk about the Financial Specialist position

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, nurse manager called for interview and asked several questions before they would interview me. They agreed to interview me and said I was a 'good candidate'. That process was positive. At the actual interview, there was only the nurse manager. The manager kept on focusing on their MAGNET status and how they were a high risk unit and that they train the physicians going out into the community, which is expected for a university hospital. There was no focus on the actual job or the nursing team. The manager was rude during questioning and did not seem interested while asking questions. When the interview ended the manager told me that I was the last interview and they were "glad that the interviews were over." I expected more out of the face of that nursing unit and was disappointed in OHSU.

Interview Questions

• What benefits and risks are there to me for hiring you and what benefits and risks are there to you for hiring me?   Answer Question
    • What are you doing to stay up to date with current trends in nursing?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had to question a plan of care   Answer Question
    • Describe your dream job   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OHSU.

Interview

Phone interview followed by an in person interview with two people in the department. One of the questions in the interview flagged for me that it would not be a good fit. They were looking for someone long term and I am looking for a position that will offer growth in the future. I was asked to come in for another interview with the department head and declined, sharing my career goals as an explanation.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current position?   Answer Question
    • Are you willing to stay in this position long term (more than two years)?   1 Answer