OHSU Interview Questions

Updated Sep 19, 2014
Updated Sep 19, 2014

2.8

Senior Trainer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at OHSU in September 2014.

Applied and it took about a month to get an interview. This was surprising as I have applied for other opportunities at OHSU and their job board "status" has NOTHING to do with the real process. The status stays "active application" during all interviews and nothing changes until the position is filled. Right now, I am waiting to hear about the results of my interview.
    I rode the bus to my interview as parking is nuts on the hill. I was surprised at the lack of upkeep on the facility I interviewed in. Very old building, needed maintenance on the brick steps, a power-wash and de-mossing badly.

I was greeted by an admin to the dean, she was very nice and welcoming. The interview was late starting and was with 2 members of the faculty. Good conversation. Still waiting to hear on follow up.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time where you had one-on-one contact/mentoring/supervision with a trainee and the outcome didn't go well.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at OHSU in February 2010.

I got interviewed with invited group of students for 2 days. At first day, I had 3 interview with different professors for 20 min each then had with program committee members over 30 mins. Next day program provided downtown trip.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at OHSU in September 2011.

Very casual and easy-going discussions about my research and common interests with various faculty, vice chair and chair. I was offered several research options and given ample time to accept their offer.

There were no negotiations involved.

Research Associate Interview

during hiring manager agreed to a salary. Later he backed out. But I had to stay steady that I will not accept the position unless the originally discussed salary is given,

Research Associate Interview

initial communications were great. but later increases in salary were very small. Hiring process took long time. After joining, the IT department took two weeks to set up an account. Even badge took a long time to be processed.

Anesthesia Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at OHSU in August 2013.

I applied online as required for the position, then they contacted me for an interview. It was to be a position for the South Operating Rooms. I met 2 senior anesthesia technicians, and they were both very friendly. I got to see some of the South OR, which was a huge area of the OHSU Hospital on the Marquam Hill Campus.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a co-worker wasn't pulling his or her own weight at the job?   Answer Question

Technician Interview

The process is through online submission that is forwarded to the department via HR. There was one day interview and an evaluation of technical skills required for the job. Certain requirements must be met such as certifications. They then notify you of the selection within a reasonable time.

Interview Questions
    • With such a narrow skill, the questions were straight forward without any curveballs.   Answer Question
    HR assessed experience and certifications and reasonably offered a salary above my previous job.

MRI Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online – interviewed at OHSU in March 2014.

Following a 90-minute in-person interview with two members of department leadership, and a tour of the department, I was told "You'll definitely be hearing from us." After several weeks passed with no word, I contacted the recruiter, and was told that the position had been filled without anyone bothering to notify me. I had expected more from OHSU; but now I don't know why.

Interview Questions
    • Two basic technical questions regarding the specific field of work for which I was applying.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OHSU in May 2012.

This job was for a research assistant position in an OHSU lab that studies the effects of alcohol on primates. The interview was fairly straight forward. I was given a tour of the facillity by my interviewer, which was very interesting. I was also introduced to a range of current employees. Questions were nothing unexpected. Essentially, the job wasn't a perfect fit for me because more of my prior research experience related to alcohol use in humans.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I would mind doing some manual labor cleaning cages, etc.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at OHSU in June 2011.

I had a chance to get in touch with my boss, who was also my postdoctoral advisor at a professional meeting. We had a brief chat there. Then I was invited over at OHSU to give a presentation of my doctoral research as an interview. It went very well.
    The hiring process took a while because of all the background checks and to complete safety training to gain access. But I guess that is normal for many places. Mine took a little longer because I had to wait for me work permit to arrive.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were about my presentation. I didn't receive a difficult question.   Answer Question