OHSU

Relevance Date Difficulty

MRI Technologist Interview

MRI Technologist
Portland, OR

I applied online - interviewed at OHSU in March 2014.

Interview Details – Following a 90-minute in-person interview with two members of department leadership, and a tour of the department, I was told "You'll definitely be hearing from us." After several weeks passed with no word, I contacted the recruiter, and was told that the position had been filled without anyone bothering to notify me. I had expected more from OHSU; but now I don't know why.

Interview Question – Two basic technical questions regarding the specific field of work for which I was applying.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Beaverton, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OHSU in May 2012.

Interview Details – This job was for a research assistant position in an OHSU lab that studies the effects of alcohol on primates. The interview was fairly straight forward. I was given a tour of the facillity by my interviewer, which was very interesting. I was also introduced to a range of current employees. Questions were nothing unexpected. Essentially, the job wasn't a perfect fit for me because more of my prior research experience related to alcohol use in humans.

Interview Question – I was asked if I would mind doing some manual labor cleaning cages, etc.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Portland, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at OHSU in June 2011.

Interview Details – I had a chance to get in touch with my boss, who was also my postdoctoral advisor at a professional meeting. We had a brief chat there. Then I was invited over at OHSU to give a presentation of my doctoral research as an interview. It went very well.
The hiring process took a while because of all the background checks and to complete safety training to gain access. But I guess that is normal for many places. Mine took a little longer because I had to wait for me work permit to arrive.

Interview Question – The questions were about my presentation. I didn't receive a difficult question.   Answer Question

PAS Resource Specialist Interview

PAS Resource Specialist
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OHSU in November 2012.

Interview Details – Typically, one phone screening interview, then one in-person panel interview (I was internally hired for this position). Prior to being hired at OHSU, the manager of the department I applied for had contacted me after HR forwarded my application and resume to her.

Interview Question – Any question wherein they would ask you how you would handle a particular situation on the job. It varies between departments and clinics, and oftentimes, they give you the "worst case scenario" at its absolute "worst" to see what you'd say.   Answer Question

Research Assistant II Interview

Research Assistant II
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at OHSU in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview and was invited to have one on one interviews with each of the Physicians that I would be working closely with as their Research Assistant. The process was much more relaxed than I anticipated. Both of the physicians were warm and friendly and actually seemed genuinely interested in my responses. I've had less positive experiences where the interviewer seemed bored or I got grilled with technical questions. This process was more like seeing if our goals met.

Interview Question – There were a couple questions that could be difficult if you aren't a person that thinks long term. "Where do you see yourself in five years?" "What are your career goals?" "If x doesn't work out, what will you do?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I'm still a student and was pretty thrilled with the offer of a salaried position, so I didn't feel comfortable negotiating. However, I felt that the offer was strong and I'm honestly really happy to be working at OHSU.

Lab Technical Assistant/OHSU Blood Bank Interview

Lab Technical Assistant/OHSU Blood Bank
Portland, OR

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OHSU in February 2013.

Interview Details – After applying online I didn't hear anything for over 2 weeks. I e-mailed the hiring manager directly to see if they had made any decisions for the position. She e-mailed me back saying that they'd like an interview, which was scheduled for the following week. The interview itself was very straightforward, mostly a check to see if I had the required schooling and experience based on the HR-prescribed minimums. After the interview, I didn't hear anything from the hiring manager for over 2 weeks. I tracked her down and asked her in-person if they had made a decision, at which time she took me to her office and offered me the position. All-in-all, very unprofessional and disorganized.

Interview Question – The interview was as standard as possible, nothing stood out as unusual.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Difficult. Management didn't give opportunity to negotiate.

Systems Analyst Engineer Interview

Systems Analyst Engineer
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OHSU in June 2011.

Interview Details – It seems with OHSU that they don't have any "standard" interview process. Mine was conducted almost solely by my manager and it was his own unique questions that I doubt anyone else would receive. I had a 30 minute phone call, 30 minutes in person with my manager, 30 minutes in person with upper management, 15 minutes in person with my manager. Nothing technical but I think that was because my manager didn't know anything technical.

Interview Question – They asked some questions regarding HIPPAA and PHI.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me a good salary and it was higher then the other company I had received an offer with at the time. I didn't negotiate because I was coming into a union spot and my vacation days and everything were already set up for me. Not very good vacation day amounts though.

Research Assistant II Interview

Research Assistant II
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at OHSU in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and after 2 weeks I received an invite for an interview. The interview was with the PI and lasted ~1 hour. We talked mostly about my past undergrad research experience, a bit about his research, and what the job entailed. After waiting a week, I was told a more experienced candidate was offered the position.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected. Be prepared to talk about your past experiences.   Answer Question

Cytogenetics Technologist Interview

Cytogenetics Technologist
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OHSU in August 2011.

Interview Details – Very fast process in my case. It took them less than two weeks to offer me the job. I was basically hired based on a phone interview!!

Interview Question – None! Do your STAR technique and you will be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Back and forth for $1.5 more hourly wage!!!

PAS Specialist Interview

PAS Specialist
Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at OHSU in January 2011.

Interview Details – Took them almost 2 months to get back to me. They schedule you for a phone interview first then if selected they bring you in to do a group panel style interview. On a hiring note, they usually only select OHSU employees for 1st 7days of an opening and have to have a good reason to hire externally. They asked the typical interview questions, team oriented kind. They will try to often you 1 step up from what you're currently making but they're usually no drug test to take unless its for a specific position. The background check it done through a 3rd party service they verifies your wages, dates of employment, etc. Benefits are good...kinda like a HMO because you get the best coverage by using their facilities. High co-pays though $25 each OV, $200 yearly deductible is good.

Interview Question – How do you deal with drama and gossip?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told the supervisor I was making more than I actually was, so she gave me more than my previous job. But when I did the background check to verify the information I put the correct amounts so when HR got the results it would match up.

Worked for OHSU? Contribute to the Community!