OHSU

2.8

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

MRI Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online – interviewed at OHSU in March 2014.

Following a 90-minute in-person interview with two members of department leadership, and a tour of the department, I was told "You'll definitely be hearing from us." After several weeks passed with no word, I contacted the recruiter, and was told that the position had been filled without anyone bothering to notify me. I had expected more from OHSU; but now I don't know why.

Interview Questions
    • Two basic technical questions regarding the specific field of work for which I was applying.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at OHSU in January 2014.

I had an initial phone interview and was invited to have one on one interviews with each of the Physicians that I would be working closely with as their Research Assistant. The process was much more relaxed than I anticipated. Both of the physicians were warm and friendly and actually seemed genuinely interested in my responses. I've had less positive experiences where the interviewer seemed bored or I got grilled with technical questions. This process was more like seeing if our goals met.

Interview Questions
    • There were a couple questions that could be difficult if you aren't a person that thinks long term. "Where do you see yourself in five years?" "What are your career goals?" "If x doesn't work out, what will you do?"   Answer Question
    I'm still a student and was pretty thrilled with the offer of a salaried position, so I didn't feel comfortable negotiating. However, I felt that the offer was strong and I'm honestly really happy to be working at OHSU.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OHSU in August 2013.

I applied online and after 2 weeks I received an invite for an interview. The interview was with the PI and lasted ~1 hour. We talked mostly about my past undergrad research experience, a bit about his research, and what the job entailed. After waiting a week, I was told a more experienced candidate was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was unexpected. Be prepared to talk about your past experiences.   Answer Question

Lab Technical Assistant/OHSU Blood Bank Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OHSU in February 2013.

After applying online I didn't hear anything for over 2 weeks. I e-mailed the hiring manager directly to see if they had made any decisions for the position. She e-mailed me back saying that they'd like an interview, which was scheduled for the following week. The interview itself was very straightforward, mostly a check to see if I had the required schooling and experience based on the HR-prescribed minimums. After the interview, I didn't hear anything from the hiring manager for over 2 weeks. I tracked her down and asked her in-person if they had made a decision, at which time she took me to her office and offered me the position. All-in-all, very unprofessional and disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was as standard as possible, nothing stood out as unusual.   Answer Question
    Difficult. Management didn't give opportunity to negotiate.

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OHSU in December 2012.

Initial phase of application is completely automated. Your cover letter and resume MUST match the search terms from the job description.
    Phone interview to elaborate on what you submitted.
    In-person meeting to learn more about the position and how your experience matches their needs.
    Interviewing manager was very articulate and sharp. Come prepared.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do in the first few months to be as effective as possible?   View Answer

Registered Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at OHSU.

Be persistent. Your application may be lost. It sometimes takes 6 months to get interview. Helps to know someone who works there.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation as staff RN. Union determines pay scale. Bonus for degrees, certifications.

PAS Resource Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at OHSU in November 2012.

Typically, one phone screening interview, then one in-person panel interview (I was internally hired for this position). Prior to being hired at OHSU, the manager of the department I applied for had contacted me after HR forwarded my application and resume to her.

Interview Questions
    • Any question wherein they would ask you how you would handle a particular situation on the job. It varies between departments and clinics, and oftentimes, they give you the "worst case scenario" at its absolute "worst" to see what you'd say.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OHSU in May 2012.

This job was for a research assistant position in an OHSU lab that studies the effects of alcohol on primates. The interview was fairly straight forward. I was given a tour of the facillity by my interviewer, which was very interesting. I was also introduced to a range of current employees. Questions were nothing unexpected. Essentially, the job wasn't a perfect fit for me because more of my prior research experience related to alcohol use in humans.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I would mind doing some manual labor cleaning cages, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at OHSU in May 2012.

This is for OHSU in Portland Oregon.

Hiring managers will vary and are the immediate supervisors in my experience; mine weren't up to speed on how to do hiring and ended up calling me months after I applied for the job. I interviewed for two different jobs at OHSU, both started out with a phone screen and then progressed to in-person interviews.

Culture on the academic side is pretty casual. Interview questions are not standard from job to job, so research about the lab or group who is offering the job moreso than overall OHSU company information. OHSU's website is large and the organizational structure can be confusing to a newbie.

They offered me about 33k, i asked for 45K (comparable to my old salary at previous job) and they came up to 39K.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at OHSU in December 2011.

I had two in-person interviews with two different directors, then a third phone interview with another director of a different area. The communication for setting these up was great through the Administrative Assistant. I perceived everyone to be very welcoming and nice.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think of uncertainty? I wasn't asked the typical interview questions so it was unexpected.   View Answer
    I asked for a higher salary based on my higher education.