OHSU Research Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

5 interviews

2.7

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Associate Interview

initial communications were great. but later increases in salary were very small. Hiring process took long time. After joining, the IT department took two weeks to set up an account. Even badge took a long time to be processed.

Other Interview Reviews for OHSU

Research Associate Interview

during hiring manager agreed to a salary. Later he backed out. But I had to stay steady that I will not accept the position unless the originally discussed salary is given,

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at OHSU in August 2011.

cant remember too much detail. applied online while working at OHSU. 1 phone call to set up interview with both potential supervisors. short interview.

they asked what i would like to make...

Research Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OHSU.

These vary depending on the supervisor and the department. The online job system seemed simple to use and the results to job queries came within a week or two. It's not perfect, as HR is charged with the initial screening, but pretty good.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Basic interview; I suspect a bit of vetting came before the final interview.   Answer Question
    I was able to slightly negotiate on salary, but it was still quite lower than at my former job. It's grant supported, so I don't know they had much wiggle room. Also some departments seem to rank based on the lowest common denominator. For instance, in other departments someone with my experience would be a Senior Research Associate. In others, that person would be a Research Assistant.

Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at OHSU in August 2010.

My telephone interview with the research staff was positive, but I had to pay for an in-person interview trip at my own expense at my "level" (e.g., non-clinician). Subsequently, I had a positive interview, but the job was offered to another candidate. I was told I was one of two top candidates and must give references. Though this somewhat makes sense, I caution against giving references unless you are THE candidate. Otherwise, it alerts your present employer that you are "looking". I was then offered another position, but I eventually declined because the salary range at OHSU for my job description was dismally low with no relocation, etc. There was no negotiation on the salary.

Everyone I interviewed with was wonderful. I would have LOVED to work with this group.

Interview Questions

I did some research on glassdoor.com and see that 14 Research Associates at OHSU have submitted their salaries. Though I still would have accepted a paycut to work with this group and live in Portland, the low end of the range, the "baseline" salary, was the only offer though I have 17 years experience (this was more than 30K less than I now earn). Of the 14 OHSU submitters for this type job on glassdoor.com, 12 have less than one year experience in the job. Also, there was a complaint among those that I interviewed with that training a new person is long and tedious, then they leave.

Management should take note of this. Research investigator/physicians are highly prized for their cutting edge research protocols and institutions should keep them happy. Keeping a well trained research support staff, and actively recruiting fresh talent honed elsewhere, will help keep their PI's happy while the study team works together for the benefit of the patient and scarce research dollars.

Worked for OHSU? Contribute to the Community!