OPNET

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Updated Jul 8, 2014

3.2

Network and Applications Performance Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at OPNET.

The interview process involved meeting with several technical leads and taking several tests. The interview took the better half of the afternoon. They were pleasant, fair, and friendly. I was impressed because they were committed to excellence. They I met with the professional services director and discussed the business details. I was pleased that they were flexible.

Interview Questions
    • I found all the questions very straight forward. No trick questions.   Answer Question

I formed my own business and subcontracted to them.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at OPNET.

Fast, very intense one day process. The decision time line was quite short. They respected your time and made it possible to meet with everyone in one day. You were required to present to the CEO

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at OPNET.

Horrible and pathetic ..No respect for candidates time

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online – interviewed at OPNET in March 2013.

I was given the details about the Company the the position requirement. Started the interview by asking me the level of Expertise in C, C++. Then the interview went by asking questions in Networking area and finally ending with the next steps in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Advantages of Binary Tree and Hash Table over each other   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OPNET.

My OPNET interview process came in five steps:

1. 15-30 minute get-to-know-you phone call with an HR person
    2. 60 minute technical phone call with a engineer
    3. Timed at-home coding test
    4. 60 minute technical phone call to review the results with a more senior engineer
    5. Full 8 hour day spent at their Bethesda office. This included demos of their products, two more code tests, two more test-review sessions, more get-to-know-you interviews with mid to upper level staff, free lunch.

This might seem overly thorough, but it makes more sense than a 5 minute phone call and a two hour technical interview. When they decide to hire a candidate they want to be 100% sure he or she is the right fit.

All code tests were timed and focused on OO concepts and algorithms. All of them were done in notepad with no IDE, no compiling and thus no need to be syntactically correct. The most important part was the follow up conversation when you get a chance to explain your solution and thought process.

During the process I was surprised by OPNET's emphasis on academic pedigree. Several people I spoke to pointed out how the founders of the company went to MIT, and that many of them also went to impressive ivy league schools like Yale and Stanford. I was further surprised when they asked my college GPA. After ten years out of school I don't see how that information relevant (and I could barely remember). I too went to an impressive ivy league school and I can tell you first hand that it really doesn't mean much. If you're smart then you're smart and that's about it. Some of the brightest engineers I know are self-taught and went to what some might consider "unimpressive" schools. However I understand why this would be used to filter out candidates. As far as the engineers go, some were extremely serious and others were more casual and friendly, but everyone was certainly smart, passionate and excited about their work.

I was told in the beginning that if I made it to the full day session they would know right away whether they'd like to extend an offer. Three weeks later and I have yet to hear back. I've emailed my original HR contact several times and she keeps brushing me off. I am taking this as a "no", but I think if a candidate took this much time out of their schedule (including using a full vacation day) then OPNET should have the professional courtesy to give a prompt response, whether its yes or no, plus some shred of feedback.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at OPNET.

The hire process starts with a 1-hour do at home test on routing. They expect to have an a solved problem within 1 hour. After submitting your work an engineer will call you to discuss your answers. If you are doing well you will have got the question 100% correct. Then they will challenge you on alternative design and architecture ideas. If you do well at this questions you will have a half-day interview session at OPNET. This day consists of 5-7 interviews some technical, some fit, and one with the CEO or CTO. You will also have lunch with a bunch of current employees.

Interview Questions
    The negotiations were like all other employment negotiations. I negotiated up my salary because their profit sharing was not as good as my previous employer. I also up negotiated my days of vacation.

Applications and Network Performance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at OPNET in June 2012.

Hiring was quick. One technical phone interview and then an onsite Interview in a weeks time entire day with 3 tests. It was OK.

Usually not Negotiated.

AppTransaction Xpert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OPNET in March 2012.

Applied online. Received a pre-screening interview than set up a phone technical interview. Was asked basic networking and coding questions. Then took a one-hour coding test in which I had to design a system to accept planes that are ready for take off and allow one at a time to take off based on priority. I did this with four different queues, each having a different priority. Reviewed this with a senior engineer. Asked performance questions, how I could have improved it, how I would have used a different data structure. Waiting for next step.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

The process took a dayinterviewed at OPNET in October 2011.

it is a on compus interview and two Indians interview me, one of them is from the cary, NC office and he is hiring for that office. He asked me to describe my projects first and they asked me some questions about the project on the resume. then they asked me a coding question, implement a integer stack, which has push, pop, not pop the last one but pop the minimum element each time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at OPNET in May 2011.

The process consisted of screening, coding problem and a code review

1) Screening round was a telephonic interview by senior developer who asked questions on Networking and Java.

2) Next was coding round in which, the recruiter gave 2hrs time limit and gave 3 coding problem.

First 2 problems were pretty basic. The third one was little time consuming. It was a simple OO problem of queueing based on priority.