OPNET

OPNET Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at OPNET.

Horrible and pathetic ..No respect for candidates time

Other Interview Reviews for OPNET

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online – interviewed at OPNET in March 2013.

I was given the details about the Company the the position requirement. Started the interview by asking me the level of Expertise in C, C++. Then the interview went by asking questions in Networking area and finally ending with the next steps in the process.

Interview Questions
    • Advantages of Binary Tree and Hash Table over each other   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OPNET.

My OPNET interview process came in five steps:

1. 15-30 minute get-to-know-you phone call with an HR person
    2. 60 minute technical phone call with a engineer
    3. Timed at-home coding test
    4. 60 minute technical phone call to review the results with a more senior engineer
    5. Full 8 hour day spent at their Bethesda office. This included demos of their products, two more code tests, two more test-review sessions, more get-to-know-you interviews with mid to upper level staff, free lunch.

This might seem overly thorough, but it makes more sense than a 5 minute phone call and a two hour technical interview. When they decide to hire a candidate they want to be 100% sure he or she is the right fit.

All code tests were timed and focused on OO concepts and algorithms. All of them were done in notepad with no IDE, no compiling and thus no need to be syntactically correct. The most important part was the follow up conversation when you get a chance to explain your solution and thought process.

During the process I was surprised by OPNET's emphasis on academic pedigree. Several people I spoke to pointed out how the founders of the company went to MIT, and that many of them also went to impressive ivy league schools like Yale and Stanford. I was further surprised when they asked my college GPA. After ten years out of school I don't see how that information relevant (and I could barely remember). I too went to an impressive ivy league school and I can tell you first hand that it really doesn't mean much. If you're smart then you're smart and that's about it. Some of the brightest engineers I know are self-taught and went to what some might consider "unimpressive" schools. However I understand why this would be used to filter out candidates. As far as the engineers go, some were extremely serious and others were more casual and friendly, but everyone was certainly smart, passionate and excited about their work.

I was told in the beginning that if I made it to the full day session they would know right away whether they'd like to extend an offer. Three weeks later and I have yet to hear back. I've emailed my original HR contact several times and she keeps brushing me off. I am taking this as a "no", but I think if a candidate took this much time out of their schedule (including using a full vacation day) then OPNET should have the professional courtesy to give a prompt response, whether its yes or no, plus some shred of feedback.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

The process took a dayinterviewed at OPNET in October 2011.

it is a on compus interview and two Indians interview me, one of them is from the cary, NC office and he is hiring for that office. He asked me to describe my projects first and they asked me some questions about the project on the resume. then they asked me a coding question, implement a integer stack, which has push, pop, not pop the last one but pop the minimum element each time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at OPNET in May 2011.

The process consisted of screening, coding problem and a code review

1) Screening round was a telephonic interview by senior developer who asked questions on Networking and Java.

2) Next was coding round in which, the recruiter gave 2hrs time limit and gave 3 coding problem.

First 2 problems were pretty basic. The third one was little time consuming. It was a simple OO problem of queueing based on priority.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

interviewed at OPNET in December 2010.

Was selected for an hour long Campus interview. Then invited onsite for a good full day's worth of interview. I had about 7 rounds of interviews, with 4 rounds going into indepth coding execercises. The last one, however, was a theoretical interview about networking and related concepts. Overall, a tiring, yet, flattering interview experience.

no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at OPNET in November 2010.

First Phone interview consisted general resume questions and few technical questions in networking. Second round is programming round . Third round is code review and more technical questions. I think next will be onsite as i reached only till third round and hasn't got reply yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at OPNET in August 2010.

The interviewer gave 3 problems and asked me to solve them in 2 hours

Interview Questions
    • Design a restaurant with a host . The host must be notified whenever a customer finishes and empties the table and the host must also be notified whenever no of waiting customers exceed a max number   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at OPNET in May 2010.

30 min phone interview. Mostly C & Networking questions. Asked me if I finished CCNA although my resume says otherwise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at OPNET in September 2009.

coding questions, time complexities