ORISE

Relevance Date Difficulty

Orise Fellow Interview

Orise Fellow
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ORISE in January 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted application via on-line and received a phone call one month later from a HR representative to set-up interview two weeks later. I was told there were five candidates, one local and four not local. Interview was administered via phone (although I was given the opportunity to apply in-person--on my dime and no reimbursement of cost) with a panel of 4 people.

The interview questions were not difficult however, the questions were geared for a person with a toxicology background and this interest was not included in the job description. I immediately knew I was not going to get the position. After the interview process, I requested feedback about my overall performance and was told nothing bad just that the person selected had a background in aquatic toxicology and thus was a better fit.

Interview Question – No questions were difficult but the questions were geared for a person with a background in toxicology and my area is environmental science with an interest in environmental chemistry/water quality.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Contractor In Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation Interview

Contractor In Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation
Woodlawn, MD

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at ORISE in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online at orau.gov. After a rather long delay (approximately 5 months), I was invited for a phone screening/panel style informational interview. No difficult questions, just questions about my background and description of the ongoing and future projects at the Center for Medicaid and Medicare Innovation.

Interview Question – One of the panel members inquired about a significant employment Gap Inquiry between completion of grad school and first job (2009-2010), and about my significant work experience in non-related field   View Answer

Lab Manager Interview

Lab Manager
Fairfield, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at ORISE in June 2009.

Interview Details – I was told about the administrative/management position opening by a friend. After we discussed my capabilities and what was required, my friend told his supervisor(who was hiring) that I was interested. I came to meet the supervisor, and we discussed the responsibilities. It was informal and no technical questions were asked. I was asked if I'd like to continue working in the government sector for a while if hired. After the interview, I was asked to apply to ORISE through their website, which involved uploading my resume, university coursework and grades, and a few other odds and ends. I had to get three people to visit the website and act as referrals for me - I don't know the details of what they were asked. After about 6 weeks, I was finally hired. From what I've seen, the hiring process through ORISE doesn't always take this long; most of the time it takes 2-4 weeks.

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. I told the person interviewing me for the position what I had made previously, and he tried to stay close to that. After a year, my contract was renewed, and I got a salary bump.

Worked for ORISE? Contribute to the Community!