ORISE Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at ORISE (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied online, was contacted by email a few weeks later for a phone interview. Was invited for in-person interview a week after the phone interview. Was offered the job a week after that. P.S. Relocation benefits weren't explicitly offered, but I asked for them and they were provided.

Interview Questions

• They actually did not ask me very many questions -- I was glad I had prepared questions for them.   Answer Question

Orise Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ORISE.

Interview

Consisted of a phone interview that included situational questions as well as minimal technical knowledge questions. After the phone interview, I was asked to come in for a face to face interview. I was unaware that this would consist of sitting down with all of the 10 members on staff in small groups over a 2 hour period, but everyone was very friendly and it was easier than I expected. Every ORISE Fellowship interview is different though, this is just my experience!

Interview Questions

• Was asked to go through the process of setting up an Access database.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No real negotiation since federal pay is on a standardized step schedule

Contractor In Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodlawn, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at ORISE (Woodlawn, MD) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied online at orau.gov. After a rather long delay (approximately 5 months), I was invited for a phone screening/panel style informational interview. No difficult questions, just questions about my background and description of the ongoing and future projects at the Center for Medicaid and Medicare Innovation.

Interview Questions

• One of the panel members inquired about a significant employment Gap Inquiry between completion of grad school and first job (2009-2010), and about my significant work experience in non-related field   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ORISE (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

Submitted application via on-line and received a phone call one month later from a HR representative to set-up interview two weeks later. I was told there were five candidates, one local and four not local. Interview was administered via phone (although I was given the opportunity to apply in-person--on my dime and no reimbursement of cost) with a panel of 4 people. The interview questions were not difficult however, the questions were geared for a person with a toxicology background and this interest was not included in the job description. I immediately knew I was not going to get the position. After the interview process, I requested feedback about my overall performance and was told nothing bad just that the person selected had a background in aquatic toxicology and thus was a better fit.

Interview Questions

• No questions were difficult but the questions were geared for a person with a background in toxicology and my area is environmental science with an interest in environmental chemistry/water quality.   Answer Question

Postgraduate Research Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ORISE in November 2012.

Interview

The interview process was fairly straightforward. I was contacted via email to schedule a phone interview, which lasted between 30-40 minutes. I was interviewed by a panel of three, of which one would be my immediate supervisor/mentor. They asked me about ten questions related to my background and experience. Following that, they made me an offer fairly quickly, especially considering the nature of government work.

Interview Questions

• The interview really focus on my research experience, and how it related to the project they would assign me to. We also discussed my progress towards my PhD.   Answer Question

Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ORISE (Fairfield, OH) in June 2009.

Interview

I was told about the administrative/management position opening by a friend. After we discussed my capabilities and what was required, my friend told his supervisor(who was hiring) that I was interested. I came to meet the supervisor, and we discussed the responsibilities. It was informal and no technical questions were asked. I was asked if I'd like to continue working in the government sector for a while if hired. After the interview, I was asked to apply to ORISE through their website, which involved uploading my resume, university coursework and grades, and a few other odds and ends. I had to get three people to visit the website and act as referrals for me - I don't know the details of what they were asked. After about 6 weeks, I was finally hired. From what I've seen, the hiring process through ORISE doesn't always take this long; most of the time it takes 2-4 weeks.

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I told the person interviewing me for the position what I had made previously, and he tried to stay close to that. After a year, my contract was renewed, and I got a salary bump.