OSIsoft Customer Support Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

3.3

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at OSIsoft.

Interview

Appied online. Invited for a Phone interview. The interviewer is nice and friendly. He started with the company and job introduction. Then behavior questions and how to troubleshoot a PC problem.

Why OSIsoft, Why this position, why software company, what you gain from it?
How to handle pressure?
Anything very stressful?
What achievement you're proud of
Why use the programming language and describe
Encounter any technical challenges?
How to keep up with the latest technology?

Troubleshoot questions:
Tell me about your computer
Excel not start up
Web cannot be accessed
Application not work in your computer

Do you have any questions for him/her?
He said I would hear back from him or other HR person in two weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your computer   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for OSIsoft

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at OSIsoft.

Interview

I attended my campus' career fair and spoke to OSIsoft. They were conducting on-campus interviews the following day so I signed up for a spot. The same lady that I spoke to at the career fair was the only interviewer present and the interview was very informal. She, like me, also had a chemical engineering degree. The questions asked tested creativity but there were technical questions as well. Most of the questions were related to computer software and hardware. This really came as a surprise as I thought some questions were going to be more relevant to my chemical engineering background.

Interview Questions

• There is a railroad track that is built around the circumference of the earth. How much track, in length, would need to be added, so that the track is now 1 foot off the ground?   1 Answer
    • What should I do if I can't open my Microsoft Word file?   Answer Question
    • If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?   Answer Question
    • What can you tell me about the computer you use?   Answer Question
    • Our company wants to buy a computer. What steps would you take to purchase the right computer?   Answer Question

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at OSIsoft.

Interview

I went to a career fair and met the recruiters in their booth, they took my paper resume and told me I'd be contacted in 2 weeks. Later that day I got invited to on-campus interview the next day. Scheduling was easy and pleasant, during the interview the interviewers were very friendly and offered a lot of insight about the company, the roles I could fill, and the career progression I could expect. The questions were more on the behavioral side.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve the problem when a program crashes? Describe a management problem you've encountered and solved   Answer Question

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at OSIsoft in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email for a phone interview a couple days later. The interviewer is super nice. I usually got pretty dour people on the phone, so hearing someone who is laid back but also asking the question inquisitively was a real treat. I got all the typical interview questions from the previous reviewer, so thank you for contributing!

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at OSIsoft (Philadelphia, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

I met recruiters during on-campus job fair. They took my resume and told me they will contact me if my skills fit any of the open jobs. They emailed like after a month and told me that I have been invited for phone interview. An engineer called me and asked me usual behavioral questions, few computer related questions and a brain teaser.

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at OSIsoft (San Leandro, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was initially interviewed on the phone, as they do for most of their candidates. The phone interview lasted for about an hour and it was quite thorough.

While doing the phone interview, they asked me about my experience with the OSIsoft Software, they asked me what I knew about the company and to explain what I knew about the company, and they asked me what I liked or disliked about the software.

They asked me questions that were relative to people skills after that. They asked me about the last time I was frustrated and what I did to deal with my emotions. They asked me about a time I taught someone something. They asked me to explain things to them.

The last question they asked me was "what would you do if Excel didn't open on your computer?" I gave them a bunch of options. I had a positive experience with my phone interview.

They then flew me out to San Leandro and interviewed me for four hours in a single room. They were pretty nice, but the technical part of the interview was a bit ridiculous. The employee gave me the following scenario:

Suppose there is a computer in the room next to us and you want to determine if it is on the internet. How would you do it from here if I were to give you a computer?

Now, I am not an electrical engineer, computer engineer, computer science major, or any other type of tech-related major. I am a chemical engineer by degree.

My understanding was that they were searching for people with good troubleshooting skills, which I know I possess because of my high GPA and my extensive co-op experience throughout school. I know I'm a good teacher and I know this because everyone who I teach learns what I am teaching them. This is due to my ability to break complex things down to a simple level.

However, this part of the interview proved skewed. I told him I could open command prompt and ping the other computer if I knew its IP address. He asked me to explain to him what an IP address was. He asked me to explain what pinging was. He asked me to explain why I would ping it. All I know is that when I ping an IP address that is connected to a network, I get a response in command prompt.

I then suggested you email the computer and ask for a digital receipt when it's read. And he said, but what if no one is sitting at the other computer?

So I said, you can go into "My Computer" and check out the network to see if the computer is connected to OSIsoft's network.

I was not frustrated throughout this process, rather I remained calm and addressed each of his questions with an answer. However, they could have provided me with a bit simpler of a problem, like the problem I was faced with on the phone interview, or like one of the other questions he asked me-- which was "what do you do if your browser doesn't work with the internet?"

The interview process was rather grueling and I believe they do this to test your patience. So if this is what they meant to do, then they did a good job. This is why I am giving the interview a neutral experience. They do what they do for a reason and you can't expect any interview to be perfect.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me a time you were frustrated and what did you do to deal with your frustration.   Answer Question
    • Teach me something complex and make it simple. (This question may be worded differently)   1 Answer

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OSIsoft (Philadelphia, PA).

Interview

First round phone interview. This round was pretty long, lasted about an hour -- much longer than expected. It consisted of basic behavioral stuff, "tell me about a time..." as well as very little technical questions, i.e., "tell me what you'd do if Excel didn't start". If you read other glassdoor reviews here, you'll basically get their interviewing recipe, and nothing will be a "what the heck" moment.

Second round was on site and consisted of 5 interviews. I showed up, her 30-45 mins with the recruiter as the first interview. Basic behavioral stuff, "tell me about a time...", go over resume. Second interviewer was the group leader of either customer support or field service, and again was mostly behavioral stuff. Third interviewer was was again group leader of either field service or customer support. Fourth interview was technical and brain-teasers. I was asked to calculate how many golf balls fit in a school bus. Had to come up with a number. Another question was if you're in a canoe with a heavy rock and you throw the rock out of the canoe, what happens to the water level. Finally was asked to write an algorithm on the board for calculating the square root of a number in any language I'd like.

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OSIsoft in October 2014.

Interview

On-site interview, most are behavior questions and not difficult to answer. Had a pleasant talk with the interviewer and was told will get a on-site interview. After 10 days of the on-campus interview, got an email from HR saying they will choose other other candidates.

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at OSIsoft in October 2014.

Interview

Phone interview: mainly go through your resume and talk about your experiences. Basic HR questions and some technical questions which are based on troubleshooting techniques. Interviewer was patient and listening. Not very experienced so was not able to answer some questions regarding the company. There are some reviews that speak about brainteasers but i found no mention of it during the interview process but be prepared for some unexpected or obscure question regarding your work experience or resume.

Customer Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at OSIsoft in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through college or university. Phone interview with HR followed by phone interview with a manager. Called for on-site interview where I had 4 one-on-one interviews. After on-site interview another phone interview with a manager. After a week of this process, got an email from HR saying that they will look for other candidates that more closely match their requirements.

Interview Questions

• Most are behavior questions and not difficult to answer. The questions are open ended HR questions like, what do you think you'd be doing in 5 years and 10 years. So difficult to gauge their response.   Answer Question