OXO

Updated Aug 11, 2014
Updated Aug 11, 2014

2.8

Product Interview

I had a phone interview with senior manager and then scheduled for an in-person interview a few days after. It was relay style, one after the other until the whole team met with me. It was very tiring after the first hour and half. The entire process lasted over two hours. Was not efficient, and I was repeating myself five times.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle organization with senior members who disagree?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at OXO.

I had roughly 6 different interviews with the HR manager and 5 other people who were previously in the position I was applying for. After the first 2 interviews questions became repetitive. after being hired I was introduced to the entire staff with a short bio. So people already knew who I was by the time I started.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were what you would expect in a normal interview. They are really just looking to see if your personality is a good fit for the company.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OXO in July 2011.

2 phone interviews, one in person interview with 3 members of the team (all 1:1). After the in person interview I was asked to complete a project to present to them, I was given about 3 weeks to prepare. The day it was due I was informed that they went on a hiring freeze

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at OXO in May 2008.

Basic interview. First over the phone a couple of times - w/ HR, then Hiring Manager....
    Next was a person to person interview with the Hiring Manager & Professional Peer.
    Asked about previous experiences, problem solving, etc... nothing out of the ordinary or challenging.

Interview Questions

Offer was nice, but paid too little for me to move and live in NYC.

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at OXO.

After 2 phone interviews (1 with HR and 1 with the engineering manager) they asked me to come to New York on my own dime (always a red flag). When I arrived, I thought the offices were really nice and clean, but it had a standoffish vibe. Although they advertised for an entry level position, they wanted someone with 2-4 years of experience (I had 2 years at the time). My interviewer only set aside 15 minutes for our interview. Somehow in that 15 minutes I was told the pay was in the low 50s (this is a couple standard deviations below the mean for a degreed engineer with experience in New York).

They gave me a pretty detailed assignment by email and a couple of weeks to complete it. I heard nothing from them for about 3 weeks after I submitted, and the manager finally wrote back to my emails to let me know they were no longer hiring for the position.

A few lessons I've learned from this interview experience:
    1. Be cautious about interviewing with companies that don't pay travel expenses.
    2. Be cautious about interviewing with companies that only set aside 15 minutes for an in-person interview.
    3. Do not participate in assignments that require a suspicious level of completeness. Every 4-6 months, I see the position that I applied for advertised on various job boards, which indicates that they either have a problem with turnover or a solution for getting free work done by applicants.