OXO

Relevance Date Difficulty

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at OXO.

Interview Details – I had roughly 6 different interviews with the HR manager and 5 other people who were previously in the position I was applying for. After the first 2 interviews questions became repetitive. after being hired I was introduced to the entire staff with a short bio. So people already knew who I was by the time I started.

Interview Question – Questions were what you would expect in a normal interview. They are really just looking to see if your personality is a good fit for the company.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

Associate Product Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at OXO in July 2011.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews, one in person interview with 3 members of the team (all 1:1). After the in person interview I was asked to complete a project to present to them, I was given about 3 weeks to prepare. The day it was due I was informed that they went on a hiring freeze

Interview Question – Do not recall, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at OXO in May 2008.

Interview Details – Basic interview. First over the phone a couple of times - w/ HR, then Hiring Manager....
Next was a person to person interview with the Hiring Manager & Professional Peer.
Asked about previous experiences, problem solving, etc... nothing out of the ordinary or challenging.

Interview Question – Do you have any questions for us?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was nice, but paid too little for me to move and live in NYC.

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at OXO.

Interview Details – After 2 phone interviews (1 with HR and 1 with the engineering manager) they asked me to come to New York on my own dime (always a red flag). When I arrived, I thought the offices were really nice and clean, but it had a standoffish vibe. Although they advertised for an entry level position, they wanted someone with 2-4 years of experience (I had 2 years at the time). My interviewer only set aside 15 minutes for our interview. Somehow in that 15 minutes I was told the pay was in the low 50s (this is a couple standard deviations below the mean for a degreed engineer with experience in New York).

They gave me a pretty detailed assignment by email and a couple of weeks to complete it. I heard nothing from them for about 3 weeks after I submitted, and the manager finally wrote back to my emails to let me know they were no longer hiring for the position.

A few lessons I've learned from this interview experience:
1. Be cautious about interviewing with companies that don't pay travel expenses.
2. Be cautious about interviewing with companies that only set aside 15 minutes for an in-person interview.
3. Do not participate in assignments that require a suspicious level of completeness. Every 4-6 months, I see the position that I applied for advertised on various job boards, which indicates that they either have a problem with turnover or a solution for getting free work done by applicants.

Worked for OXO? Contribute to the Community!