Oak Ridge National Laboratory Interview Questions

Updated Sep 7, 2014
Updated Sep 7, 2014

Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Ridge, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

Well-planned, easy, straightforward. Spent a day with various people up and down the management chain and with HR. Offer was presented very quickly. Everything was arranged, so visit was easy. Wife spent the day with friends.

Straightforward. No games.

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Ridge, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

Got hired after invited to give a seminar. Talked with other staff members very informally.

Interview Questions
    I was not able to negotiate.

IT Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in August 2012.

Had a phone interview followed up with an on-site meeting with multiple teams. The process was very professional and detailed. I felt very comfortable and was excited at the opportunity to take the position. The work/life balance they offer was very enticing combined with a great benefits package. The negotiations with pay took the longest time and were unable to meet my expectations to leave my current job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too hard, did a good job letting me explain my professional skill set and asking questions based on my experience.   Answer Question

Could not meet my expectations on pay to leave my current job.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Ridge, TN

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in May 2012.

Wanted to learn neutron-scattering, and then saw advertisement for position in Linked-in on post-doctoral fellowship on neutron sciences. Found that the head of the division was a co-worker with my boss at IBM Research. I always wanted to work under somebody like this, hence I emailed him directly (got ID from the Linked-in website). He replied, and we set up a time for a telephonic "chat". The chat went simple, he asked me about my background, simple science questions on my PhD project. He also briefed me about how it is different to work in a National Laboratory and an University. It was rather friendly. At the end of it, he gave me guidelines to fill up the application online, stressing me to keep it 'to-the-point' and short (and not write long essays which no-one will read).

The second interviews were on-site. After badging and security clearance at gate, I had to report with an HR personnel in the morning, followed by 3 morning interviews, and 5 evening interviews with various groups (associated with different instruments at the Spallation Neutron Source). They were all very enthusiastic in describing their research, rather than listening to mine, and the best stance for me was to listen carefully and offer useful and promising suggestions. Finally, there was a tour of HFIR and SNS, before I was released for the day. The entire interview focused on how working with neutrons is different from working in other fields, and whether I am a good personality match for the same. Very little science questions were asked, although a lot of science that is done in the laboratory (and in USA in general) was discussed in a friendly manner.

Interview Questions
    • How would you cope into a National Laboratory in the middle of no-where after coming from a vibrant city like Chicago? Remember, post-doctoral people have complained about feeling dejected at work because of a lack-lustre social life.   View Answer
    I was informed of the offer over telephone, and I was told a salary. which is at par my expectations from this laboratory, and slightly higher than what the average entry-level post-doctoral fellow in my field make here. They recruited me as a "Material Science Post-Doc" rather than a "Physics post-doc" since it allows higher pay-package according to ORNL rules. I was happy about this change that they made (even before they contacted me with the offer). I took a month to compare this offer to my other offers, before I accepted.

The background check that followed was. however, painful. It took them 3.5 months to go through it, since apparently my country of citizenship is considered 'sensitive to national security'. It was eventually cleared.

Postdoctoral Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Ridge, TN

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in November 2011.

Good communicatoin during interview process.

Senior Research and Development Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Ridge, TN

I applied online – interviewed at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in September 2011.

I am interview twice this location as similar position. The process is slow as it has to get many government clearances. But the opportunity is great. The interview process is wonderful buth they need background chck before interview also. The time duration for interview is for the whole day.

Interview Questions
    • Funding questions are more difficult as we do not know how govt to govt funding works   Answer Question

Pay was lesser

Network Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in July 2011.

Initial communication only took a few days after submitting resume. 1 hour phone interview and lots of technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult questions were questions about hardware that is seldom used in the industry.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Ridge, TN

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in January 2011.

I spoke with each department head I would be directly working with. I was asked about my background and my area of expertise.

Interview Questions
    Fail and balanced I got what I was asking for.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Ridge, TN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in May 2010.

I first received an e-mail saying that I was invited to interview. During the on-site interview, I had an hour-long one on one interview with the principal investigator of the project I would be working on, a thirty-minute interview with two HR representatives, a site tour, lunch, gave my presentation, ending with a lengthy Q&A with the selection committee about my presentation and other general questions related to the position. Seemed like a friendly work atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • How will your background in a different scientific area help you succeed in this project?   Answer Question

R&D Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Ridge, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in December 2009.

The interview process is commonly described by candidates as "intense". It generally begins at 9am, and consists of the candidate presenting an hour long seminar on a research topic of their choice (relavant to the position), followed by a series of interviews. The interviews will be a mix of one-on-one interviews and groups of 5-20 people in the peer group for the position under consideration. While there can be long delays between the opening of a position and the start of interviews, hiring decisions usually follow the interview of the top 5 candidates fairly quickly. Drug test and background check are required.

Salaries, number of weeks of vacation, start date, moving expenses, and temporary remote work arrangements among other things are negotiable for senior R&D positions.

Interview Questions
    • The peer group interviews will test the limits of your knowledge in those areas where you claim expertise in either your seminar or your resume. Candidates who cannot back up their claims generally do not stand any chance.   View Answer
    Negotiation is typical for R&D staff positions. Salary, vacation days, moving expenses, temporary remote work arrangements, start date, etc. are negotiable.