Oaktree Capital

Relevance Date Difficulty

An Human Resources Position Interview

An Human Resources Position
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Oaktree Capital in April 2013.

Interview Details – I heard about this position through an agency's website. First I had a phone interview with them. During the interview, the agency recruiter asked me the year I graduated from college. As we all know, this is a (age) discriminatory question. By the way, my resume indicated that I had 10 years experience at the same company. As an experienced HR professional, I asked him the relevancy of this question to the job I applied for. He said his client (Oaktree Capital) wants to know. I politely declined to answer. The agency recruiter said Oaktree gives bonuses. I asked him how the bonus structure was, he said no structure, they just give $10K. ? After the phone interview, he sent me an e-mail and asked what my GPA was. I still don't understand the relationship between my GPA and the Recruiter position I applied for.

Few days later, on Wednesday, I had a phone interview with their VP of HR at Oaktree. It took 1.5 hours which I didn't mind but I wish all the questions she had asked were related to my skills rather than my previous company's information. She asked me who reports to whom; she asked confidential information such as the turnover % of my previous company; she asked each HR person's responsibility at my previous job. One point she even criticized of my previous HR Director reporting to the Managing Director of the Business Unit, instead of reporting to a Regional HR or VP of HR. The other thing bothered me was that even though she was at a VP level and English was her first language (unlike me), she was not very articulate. Her sentences were incomplete. She sounded like she was not prepared for the interview.

Few days after the phone interview with Oaktree, the agency recruiter called me and said the client decided not to pursue my application because I do not possess financial recruitment experience. Well, they knew that at the beginning, my resume indicated it...

Overall, it was a very unusual and interesting experience for me. I am glad they did not pursue my application. One more time, I felt that I am a better Recruiter than many people out there.

Interview Question – Asking the year I graduated from college and my average GPA despite of my 10 years of solid experience.   Answer Question

Worked for Oaktree Capital? Contribute to the Community!