Obama For America Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2015

2.7

Headquartersand Volunteer Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Obama For America (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I volunteered, someone I worked for realized I was competent and recommended me to management, management asked me a few questions, I was hired that day. Typical process for campaigns.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage the intern process, so every department had an intern (even the less desirable places to work)?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

It was all phone interviews. They moved fasts as befits a campaign. This was for the summer before the 2012 election so there wasn't any time wasted. Campaigns are the definition of moving fast - puts any startup to shame. Loved working for the President. He, as well as the First Lady came by HQ which was a tremendous thing to see.

Interview Questions

• Mostly just my experience with political polling and analytics. Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation since no salary

Intern Interview

Interview

I applied online through the campaign website and had to wait for a couple of months before I was contacted. I was emailed by a department director and we schedule a phone call. During the call, I was asked basic questions about my background and interest in working there, and was offered the job on the spot.

Negotiation

No negotiation phase.

Deputy Field Organizer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Obama For America.

Interview

Most hires are made through the pool of organizing fellows. If you vocalize your desire to be hired as staff, work hard and learn the ropes quickly, there's a very good chance you'll get hired!

Negotiation

Hirings are quick, as election cycels are such fast paced environments.

State Regional Operations Lead Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Obama For America.

Interview

Having been a volunteer for an extended period of time I had a working relationship with operations staff from other parts of the country. In speaking to the Regional Operations Director for the area where I was a volunteer I had expressed an interest in a paid position and was asked for a resume. I was contacted about a week later and was asked if I had a preference of two states that were interested in interviewing me. The Deputy Operations Director from my preferred state contacted me and interviewed me for the position. At the end of the interview I was told to expect to be contacted by the Regional Operations Director for that area of the country. I had worked with this staff person as well when I was volunteering. They contacted me that evening. After the interview I was offered the position which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• The interview was basically perfunctory with some clarifying of roles and responsibilities, which were much more in depth than the volunteer role I had taken on. We discussed my experience with the two main database programs used by the campaign and the systems and procedures I had created and implemented while volunteering.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Obama For America (Arlington, VA) in September 2012.

Interview

Much more casual than the typical interview process, but pretty standard for the campaign world. Asked about my experience working on campaigns, why I wanted to jump on the campaign at that stage, etc. Basically my experience spoke for itself, and it was just a getting-to-know-you meeting. They needed more people, I was excited and motivated to get started, it was a relatively easy process once they determined I was a match with what they needed.

Interview Questions

• How well do you know the area?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cocoa, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Obama For America (Cocoa, FL) in June 2012.

Interview

I was an intern brought on for the summer. I was advised that a couple of positions would be opening up and I indicated that I was interested. Then, submitted a resume to my boss, did an in person interview/discussion then a telephone interview.

Interview Questions

• What drives you? Why do you want to work so very hard, given mediocre compensation?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered, I accepted.

Organizing Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Obama For America (Chicago, IL) in May 2012.

Interview

I would get on them if you are really into it. I think sending an email to the office head about when they'd come to a decision helped me. Remember--about 1/6 will get it, most of them students like you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Unpaid area, so little to negotiate

Organizing Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Obama For America in April 2012.

Interview

Drove to the field office and had an interview with the state director and the assistant. The interview was informal, but they asked about my resume experiences, a few policy questions, and why I would want to be part of OFA. Overall a warm interview really about getting to know the candidate. Organizing requires generally extroverted personalities, so they probably vetted for character/values/etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Obama For America (Cincinnati, OH) in December 2011.

Interview

2 interviews in person

Negotiation

none