Obama For America

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Interviewed at Obama For America

Interview Details – It was all phone interviews. They moved fasts as befits a campaign. This was for the summer before the 2012 election so there wasn't any time wasted. Campaigns are the definition of moving fast - puts any startup to shame. Loved working for the President. He, as well as the First Lady came by HQ which was a tremendous thing to see.

Interview Question – Mostly just my experience with political polling and analytics. Nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation since no salary

Intern Interview

Interviewed at Obama For America

Interview Details – I applied online through the campaign website and had to wait for a couple of months before I was contacted. I was emailed by a department director and we schedule a phone call. During the call, I was asked basic questions about my background and interest in working there, and was offered the job on the spot.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase.

Organizing Fellow Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Obama For America in May 2012.

Interview Details – I would get on them if you are really into it. I think sending an email to the office head about when they'd come to a decision helped me. Remember--about 1/6 will get it, most of them students like you.

Interview Question – Name a time where your leadership wasn't immediate   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unpaid area, so little to negotiate

Deputy Field Organizer Interview

I applied in-person and interviewed at Obama For America.

Interview Details – Most hires are made through the pool of organizing fellows. If you vocalize your desire to be hired as staff, work hard and learn the ropes quickly, there's a very good chance you'll get hired!

Negotiation Details – Hirings are quick, as election cycels are such fast paced environments.

State Regional Operations Lead Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Obama For America.

Interview Details – Having been a volunteer for an extended period of time I had a working relationship with operations staff from other parts of the country. In speaking to the Regional Operations Director for the area where I was a volunteer I had expressed an interest in a paid position and was asked for a resume. I was contacted about a week later and was asked if I had a preference of two states that were interested in interviewing me. The Deputy Operations Director from my preferred state contacted me and interviewed me for the position. At the end of the interview I was told to expect to be contacted by the Regional Operations Director for that area of the country. I had worked with this staff person as well when I was volunteering. They contacted me that evening. After the interview I was offered the position which I accepted.

Interview Question – The interview was basically perfunctory with some clarifying of roles and responsibilities, which were much more in depth than the volunteer role I had taken on.
We discussed my experience with the two main database programs used by the campaign and the systems and procedures I had created and implemented while volunteering.
  Answer Question

Field Organizer Interview

Field Organizer
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Obama For America in December 2011.

Interview Details – 2 interviews in person

Negotiation Details – none

Field Organizer Interview

Field Organizer
Cocoa, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Obama For America in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was an intern brought on for the summer. I was advised that a couple of positions would be opening up and I indicated that I was interested. Then, submitted a resume to my boss, did an in person interview/discussion then a telephone interview.

Interview Question – What drives you? Why do you want to work so very hard, given mediocre compensation?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered, I accepted.

Fall Fellow Interview

Council Bluffs, IA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Obama For America in August 2012.

Interview Details – Basically I talked to a field organizer. He came to one of our own meetings and thus I knew where to contact him. I drove to the office and submitted my availability. I talked to him about the issues I was having at the other office with people getting too snarky. I was very happy working in Iowa since I knew my efforts weren't wasted.

Interview Question – Why did you want to leave Nebraska?   View Answer

Internship Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Obama For America in August 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the internship online. A few days later I was contacted by e-mail to set up a phone interview. They asked questions such as why I wanted to work in politics, why I support President Obama, etc. If you follow politics at all it's not a difficult interview.

Interview Question – Why do you support President Obama?   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Obama For America in July 2008.

Interview Details – Volunteer experience was critical in landing an interview with the campaign. Like many other jobs in n on-political fields, knowing someone, or knowing someone that knows someone is an important part of getting your resume or work looked at. In the frantic pace of a campaign, hiring managers rarely look outside their own circle/networks, so it helped that I had experience volunteering for the campaign before being offered a position. The interview itself consisted of a tour and what felt like more of a personality test than a skills and capabilities test, despite my preparation for a very hands-on interview.

Interview Question – Can you make it to Chicago?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was really no negotiation involved. There was no way the campaign was prepared to match my corporate salary, so it really became a decision of if the job was something I wanted to do on a personal level. Fortunately, it was exactly the type of job I was looking for.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Obama For America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Obama For America interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Obama For America employees and interview candidates.