Obsidian Entertainment Interview Questions

Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at Obsidian Entertainment

Programmer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Obsidian Entertainment.

Was referred to by a friend. My situation was somewhat different in terms of response and setting up the interview. I was given a small coding task that was given a deadline in two days from when I received it. After a week or so, got a call back to schedule an interview. Was asked about my school work, projects on the side, what I know about certain technologies. Overall it was a nice interview, they were really nice and helpful.

Gameplay Programmer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Obsidian Entertainment in December 2014.

Two weeks after applying, received a packet of 50 questions from a recruiter via email. No other contact was made prior. It said to return it as soon as possible completed.

The questions were 1/2 essay based, 1/4 C++ code, 1/4 math. Topics ranged from design, gameplay, networking, to rendering/graphics.

Why so much? Not entirely sure. There was so much to cover, it felt very unreasonable to ask of an individual who had yet to even speak to someone about the company and position. I've never had a company ask something so unreasonable in length with no clear direction. It expected the individual to be a master in all subjects it seemed like. The questions about rendering, for example, were extremely specific about detailing and comparing various shadow techniques. And then, the networking questions that followed, asked to design and diagram an ENTIRE back-end for players to connect to and interact accompanied by detail.

Code questions were much simpler. Such as design and implement a circular buffer.

It took about an entire day to completely flesh out everything, and by the time I had gotten up to some of the math after doing most of the essay and code questions, I didn't care much. It was like unpaid work for someone I didn't even get to know by that point. I'd have put way more effort into more of the questions if the test was more concise, instead of a figurative dartboard to throw at.

And of course, 3 weeks later after submitted, I finally got a response saying they decided to move on on "other candidates" and provided ZERO feedback for the 50 questions they requested. That's fine by me.

Interview Questions
    • design and diagram a back-end network system for players to connect to and chat together with each other, as well as a login auth system. Label the diagram and explain alternatives, upsides/downsides to this system.   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Obsidian Entertainment.

I talked with producers and then a game designer explained his game. I wanted to critique it as the dialog was pretty stiff, but I kept my mouth shut. I lunched with a dour tech director, who didn't smile once. Then I had a table of programmers interview me. I did well, but got a form letter later. They had huge layoff soon afterwards.

Senior Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Obsidian Entertainment in February 2010.

Informed interviewers, company focused on computer role-playing games (CRPGs), group interviews both on-phone and inperson.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your favorite game that you worked on and why?   Answer Question

Senior Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Obsidian Entertainment in August 2008.

There was an initial screening process that involved meeting with Feargus Urqhart and Nathaniel Chapman for lunch and being asked if I was happy with my current position. I told them that I was open to considering something new. Once that was passed I had an on-site interview that lasted a full day - with a total of ten team members.

Interview Questions
    I asked for a certain dollar amount and Feargus Urqhart countered right away and I accepted. The whole thing took less than 5 minutes.