Ocado

Updated Jul 3, 2014

3.2

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Graduate Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ocado in May 2014.

Applied online and heard back quickly. Scheduled Phone interview. Successful and invited to assessment center. Assessment center consisted of java linked list questions and assembly style math/logic questions all in a paper test. All you have to do is complete the methods (fill in variables and operators) and implement some classes fully (insertion etc). Out of 8 of us, 3 of us made it through to the second half of the day, don't know what happened to the others. The 3 successful got a tour of the local fulfillment center followed by an interview with a developer. Was then contacted again to arrange final stage interviews, all quickly and promptly. Had an interview with two team leaders covering knowledge of Java (JVM, methodologies, garbage collection) and a few board exercises (fibonachi numbers). Last interview with Head of IT based on my CV and HR questions with two logic problems to solve.

Interview Questions
  • You have two pieces of string and some matches. Both pieces of string will take 30 seconds each to completely burn when lit but they do not burn uniformly nor are they identical. How do you time 45 seconds?   Answer Question
  • 4 people need to cross a river. 2 people can fit in a boat at a time. Each person takes 1, 2, 5 and 7 minutes to row the boat across the river, regardless of who else they take with them. What ordering would result in the shortest time to get everyone across the river?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Ocado

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ocado in July 2012.

Initially I received a call from an recruitment agency. I took an online programming test on codility. After passing that, I got an offer to attend an interview day. Arrive at least 1 hour before the interview at the Hatfield railway station, because the bus takes 20-25' to get to the square. First we were welcomed by an HR member who took us to the testing room. There, we were handed two tests. We had maximum 45' for each. After completing the tests, a leader of one of the groups came and talk to us about the company, while our tests were getting assessed. After about an hour they came back and I got a negative result, so I left.

The two tests were consisted of a pseudo code made up language and a Java test. The pseudo code one gave you 4 functions and you have to create all the remaining functions using those 4 functions while filling in blanks mostly. If you have any experience with assembly is quite similar but easier. The Java test is a basic linked list implementation where you have to create additional methods by filling in blanks again. Read a bit about linked lists, how to add elements in an unordered & order linked list and to the begin and end of it, how to use recursion to calculate the size etc.

The tests seem to be the same for the last 1-1.5 years because I had friends taking them as well.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, West Midlands, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, West Midlands, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ocado in March 2012.

First got codility link to solve three programs, that was not tough. Then they asked me to come for Technical Interview. First part was fill in the blanks with basic operations like addition, subtraction, ***. Second part was to fill up blank methods of linked list. After then asked to come for final HR interview (In that also they asked me to write a code for needle in haystack).

Graduate Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ocado in June 2011.

Initially an online test, then invitation to assessment day. This consisted of two tests, one java and one in a made up language. The successful candidates proceeded to have tour of warehouse, and short interviews. Next invited for second interview, this included technical tests with two interviewers asking whiteboard based questions, and a couple of interviews with managers about personality and circumstances. Received an offer two days after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    I asked the recruiter what salary range they would consider, he gave me a range, I said I wanted the top figure of the range, and they came back with that as an offer. Thinking back maybe I could have asked for more.