Ocado

Updated Dec 1, 2014
Updated Dec 1, 2014

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ocado.

About a week after application they sent me a link to a set of 3 Codility programming tests. Tests weren't that difficult, just have complexity of algorithms in mind. I got to the next stage, which is assesment daym even though I didn't finish the last test with correct complexity, i.e. my method wasn't as efficient

Software Developer Interview

interviewed at Ocado in November 2014.

1. i knew this company when i attended my university fair, i then applied online
    2. after applied online and upload my CV, then there were online test named codility
    3. the online test consist of 3 question, it was a very easy question regarding algorithm
    4. passed the test, invited to the assessment centre in the ocado tech HQ in Hatfield
    5. the first part of the assessment centre was paper based test, the topics were logic and linked list
    6. the logic question did not use particular language, it just basic thing like assembly
    7. the linked list, we have to implement it using java, and fill in the blank for some function in it
    8. after passed the paper based test, i was invited to get a tour in the warehouse
    9. after the warehouse, there are interview, it just a small talk with the one of the it head, he asked me about functional programming and multi threading.

Interview Questions
    • i thought the interview will be an HR interview, but it was quite technical   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ocado.

Hiring process consists of two interviews on seperate days.

The first day is divided into several parts.
    On the first part you get to do two programming tests. The first one consists of finishing up function implementations using basic functions (equals, increase, assign, loop) and similar to assembly.
    On the second part you need to implement linked list in java. All tests are on paper.
    Those who passes the tests go to see their warehouse and go the interview with the HR person.

If the HR interview was successful you get called for the second day interviews. There are two interviews but they are quite similar. They analize your CV and ask basic question about it. There are usual HR questions like "What is your biggest weakness" or "The project you are most proud of" and questions based on technology you will be using: "Difference between C++ and JAVA". There wew also logical question and you needed to write code on the whiteboard.

Interview Questions
    • You have two ropes which burn unevenly but they both are fully burnt in exactly 30 seconds. How do you measure 45 seconds.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

1. Online codility test. 3 problems to solve within 100 mins. Most tricky one is find the prime number between A and B. The time complexity should satisfy (B-A)log(B)
    2. Assessment centre. 2 paper based test. First one was a kind of assembly language. Fill in blanks to finish methods like decrease variable, find max between two numbers. The second one was java implementation of linked list. Some class and methods are given, need to finish other methods like append at the end or insert at the beginning. An HR interview in the afternoon asking normal HR interview questions.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ocado.

1. Recruiter contact. 2. Online technical test through cloud platform: Codility 3. In site technical test: two of them; and personal interview reviewing your CV and what you are looking for. Visit to the automatic warehouse (Quite interesting) 4. Technical interview with a white board involved and personal interview.
     Step 3: one day morning and afternoon. Step 4: Only morning or afternoon.
    Location: North of London, in their offices.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was quite standard. Advice: Control your nervous.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield (South Africa)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield (South Africa)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Ocado in September 2014.

I applied through a recruiting agency. The selection process starts with an online programming test via Codility. The test is made up of three tasks to be completed in one sitting. The tasks are not really hard, but you have to meet requirements about time and space complexity.
    I passed the online test and was invited to their assessment centre. Two paper-based tests needed to be passed: an aptitude test and a java based test.
    The aptitude test is not centered on any particular language. Some basic functions area provided to be used to implement more complex functions. In the Java based test, candidates are required to complete the implementation of a linked list. Both tests are not very hard, but be careful about edge cases.
    I passed the paper based tests and got on a tour to their warehouse.
    After the tour I had an interview with two team leaders. It was a technical interview covering knowledge of Java. I was also asked to write code on the whiteboard (needle in the haystack problem).
    The technical interview was followed by an interview with the Head of IT. It was an interview based on my CV and were I talked about myself and I could make questions about the job and the company.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ocado in August 2014.

Passed initial screen and was called to assessment center. At first stage you need to complete 2 tests. The first test is logical test which is similar to assembly language coding which required to be done in an hour. These questions are quite tricky if you have no experience in writing assembly language codes. The second test is to fill in the missing methods for a linked list class which is easy.

Interview Questions
    • The logical test is tricky, but I think as long as you have found out the techniques, it should be straight forward.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Ocado in August 2014.

The first stage is a Codility test with three questions. The questions are not hard but you should be aware of the requirements on time and space complexity. After passed the Codility test, I was invited in an assessment day on August 2014.

Just as other people said, a paper-based writing test need to be passed. The first part is some kind of low level language. Some basic functions are given, and you need to use them to finish other functions. The second part is a Java implementation of linked list, not very hard. Both parts are not hard, but the edge cases must be carefully considered. I say this because I figured out all of them but finally failed, which I think is because my careless to the edge cases.

They are quite strict on their filter process, only one guy was successful in the paper-based test. People are friendly, and their CFC is brilliant.

Maintenance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tamworth, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tamworth, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Ocado in June 2014.

They advertise the role as Maintenance Engineer and I went for the interview I got told that this is technician role not Maintenance Engineer, I request to leave the interview because of their attitude and racism questions.

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dordon (Chad)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dordon (Chad)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ocado in June 2014.

Applied on-line, Numerical test and verbal test, Telephone interview.
    In Assessment centre 2 group exercises
    Numerical test (Without a calculator)
    Verbal test
    3 interviews
    I was a pretty straight-forward process, nice and friendly staff.