Occidental Petroleum

Updated Nov 6, 2014

2.4

Reservoir Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Occidental Petroleum.

Interview process was smooth

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Occidental Petroleum.

Interview for OxyChem. Easy inteview. one on one just to get to know you. 30 mins

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself?
      Tell me about the experiences at your previous jobs?

Answer Question

Reservoir Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Occidental Petroleum.

Take 4+ week to interview

Materials Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Occidental Petroleum in November 2013.

Had a series of 6 45 minute interviews, everyone was laid back and nice. Primarily asked behavioral type questions. Most of the questions were pretty straight forward nothing to try and trick you or catch you off guard. They are looking for people who really fit in with the community and culture.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you failed, why did you fail? How did you overcome the failure?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Occidental Petroleum in October 2013.

A representative outside of the company will contact you and ask you questions pertaining to the position to make sure you are qualified.

Interview Questions
    • What's the most challenging thing you experienced as your previous employer   Answer Question

Supply Chain Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Occidental Petroleum in October 2013.

Scheduled an interview after a college career fair. It was a team interview in which the two guys went back and forth asking mostly behavioral questions. There was a lot of opportunity for discussion and elaboration between questions. I think it went well and I am waiting on call back.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you and a manager had a miscommunication, and how you resolved the situation   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Occidental Petroleum in October 2013.

Job Fair and Applying Online

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time in which you had a problem working with a group. What did you do?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Occidental Petroleum in October 2013.

Handed in resume to a professional at a student organization career fair. Attended info session at university. Networked with professionals. Applied through an university career website and the company's website. Went in for an on-campus interview. Nice people, but did not enjoy the structure of the interview. Asked for business cards, but was told only the recruiter may be contacted. Received decision by email almost a month after.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a technical problem you have faced and how you solved it. (There were three or four questions that were similar to this.)   View Answer

Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Occidental Petroleum in September 2013.

I applied both online and through my universities career center. I was scheduled for an interview before the Job Fair, yet I went and visited with them anyway. Attended an info session where THEY DID record attendance. The interview was really straightforward and simply discussed my resume and past experiences. They were really nice and social and were willing to have simple small talk between detailed questions. I was asked to attend a dinner with the recruiters the night after my interview. I received a call from the HR department with an offer exactly a week later. However, I did let them know during the interview that I had competing offers with deadlines.

Interview Questions
    • As a Mechanical Engineer they did ask why I was not in Petroleum. But I had a good answer that they were rather impressed by.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The offer was extremely competitive and did not require it.

Land Negotiator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Occidental Petroleum in September 2013.

Interview was panel style and all interviewers seemed friendly. Not many tough questions. Offices were very nice and HR was courteous and very helpful. There was very little discussion regarding the actual position, which makes sense in hindsight: the position was placed on hold long after I had interviewed. Again, HR was kind enough to finally relay this information after multiple emails, but the process seemed disjointed and "uncertain." In light of the recent spinoff of the CA assets and the transition to the Woodlands, this makes sense.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing difficult about this interview, but my experience and credentials were easily verifiable, which may have played a role.   Answer Question