Ocean State Job Lot Interview Questions

2.4

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ocean State Job Lot.

In person interview with three home office folks and managers. Questions were highly structured and followed a specific format that they used. It was me sitting at the end of the table talking to three three managers at the first interview and the same talking with four managers at the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of a time when .....strengths and weaknesses, etc   Answer Question
    There was none

Recever Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clifton Park, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clifton Park, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ocean State Job Lot.

good and fast was easy took about 15 min . everyone was friendly and took time to see what i had to say. think if you get the right one doing the interview you would be ok

Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Ocean State Job Lot in May 2011.

The entire process took about 3 to 4 weeks. During the process the company was very helpful and understanding . They kept me informed at each spot in the process. The entire process was very enjoyable and interesting.Over the phone Then one on one

took offer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athol, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athol, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Ocean State Job Lot in January 2011.

Very low key.Regional Recruiter had me visit a few stores and talk to managers before and after interview. Interviewed with Regional VP and Regional recruiter. Very relaxed low key. I was determined to be very honest about my previous job loss, and was incredibly impressed by them really listening to what happened and why........the openess and interest they showed in figuring out the whole story made me determined to try to work for this company.

Interview Questions
    • How comfortable would you be running a store without a p & l   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ocean State Job Lot in June 2010.

very relaxed and comforteble

Interview Questions
    • Give examples of experience Managining business without a P&L   View Answer
    • Give examples of Merchandising without Plan-O_gram instructions   View Answer

Sales Floor Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westborough, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westborough, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Ocean State Job Lot in May 2010.

Once I had sent my resume to the store manager in person he told me to come back for an interview a few days later. Due to the temporary nature of the job he only asked me a few questions: it was quick and easy, all you have to do is answer questions like "how do you know when you've done a bad job" or "do you follow instructions".

Interview Questions
    • How do you know if you've done a poor job of something?   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate anything because retail jobs wages are low and nonnegotiable due to competition.

Front End Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westfield, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westfield, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ocean State Job Lot in September 2009.

In order to qualify for the main interview, I spoke with someone who asked a list of questions about my education and work experience. There was no real conversation otherwise and little feedback about how I did. The person conducting the first interview looked tired and didn't want to spend any more time on this than he had to, being that it was just a screening test for the real interview.

I received a call several days later asking me to come in for an interview with one of the store managers. We talked about my retail experience and went through another list of questions. I also solved three basic mathematics problems about making change. My criminal record and personal credit were then checked after the interview.

The second interviewer was very upbeat and polite. She was looking for someone just as polite and with a good deal of energy and motivation; I was able to get a mid-level job with limited retail experience because I came across as intelligent in the interview.

My recommendation is to study the company before you apply, and ask the interviewers about themselves so you sound like you are really interested in the company and not looking for just another job. They have a high level of turnout with persons who dislike the discount retail atmosphere and move on.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a major project you undertook at a recent employer and how it added value.   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with this difficult customer?   Answer Question
    It is highly difficult to negotiate your pay at lower-level positions. There is a standard rate of pay for new hires which is difficult to justify changing.

Department Manager Interview

Promoted internally. Started out as sales associate. Interview questions are very basic and simple. They're looking for people with previous retail experience first and wide schedule availability (nights/weekends) second. Meet both these criteria and you stand a good chance of being accepted for part-time work. Full-time hires will require approximately 6 months of prior retail experience.

Interview Questions
    • No trick questions. Straight forward, simple questions like "why do you want this job?" "do you have experience?" "are you available nights and weekends?"   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ocean State Job Lot in March 2010.

I was first called by one of their Field Trainers after she saw my resume online. We set up a phone interview for a couple days later. After the phone interview she and I had a 1:1, after that I had a 1:1 with the regional manager. I was called on my way home with an offer. The regional manager interview was him talking 75%, me 25%. Basically he told me I wasn't qualified for the job for the first half, asking me a few questions, and spent the last 25% telling me my (then) job had no future and how Job Lot was better.
    Also, they offer you a job pending drug test and background check, which can take 2+ weeks. So don't quit your day job till you get the result. I see a lot of people who don't pass. Bad credit etc. They don't call you bak if you fail, FYI, they mail you something.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you set an aisle that wasn't planogrammed.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They offer you and amount, maybe you can negotiate, but I don't know anyone who has.

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Ocean State Job Lot in April 2009.

It was nice to have a face to face interview for a change. Too many companies only want to "meet" you by phone. They took the time to answer a lot of my questions as I was not very familiar with the organization structure.

Interview Questions
    • How much merchandising experience do you have, without the use of plan-o-grams or guides to assist, in making product placement choices?   Answer Question
    • How physically involved were you in Managing your last retail Store? Are you more of a director or a "do-er"   Answer Question
    No ned to negotiate. The offer was fair from the start