Octopus Investments Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Holburn, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (Holburn, England (UK)).

Interview

Horrible experience. Interviewers seem detached it was more of a one way conversation . This was the worst interview I've ever experienced. Don't waste your time with this company !!

IT Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Octopus Investments in March 2015.

Interview

Worst interview experience I had in my life. HR is a central decision maker in this company and if they don't like you, that will be a final decision, not your manager's or CEO's. They would normally take you through 6-7 stages, some of them are non-sense irrelevant economic and maths tests. You can expect to get a job offer which will be withdrawn later without any explanation and you will not even know about the fact they started looking for another candidate in parallel. If you get an offer from Octopus, keep looking for jobs until you first day with them, as they change their minds.

Head of Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

1st Interview - initial meeting with HR rep consisting of general questions about you, HR will ask the hiring manager to take over if they believe you could be a good fit. Hiring manager asked numerous questions directly relating to past experience needed for the role including some scenarios. Honesty and personality is encouraged - an enjoyable experience. 2nd Interview - consisted of a role play scenario, an under performing "employee" acted out by hiring manager whilst being watched by head of HR. First role play experience in an interview for me and something to learn from, however the interviewers need to learn that they may not always be correct, especially when it comes to people management.

Interview Questions

• Role play scenario - how would you handle an underperforming member of your team?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)) in December 2014.

Interview

two HR ladies and the lead PM. The HR process is standard although 2 HR employees in a row for such a small team is surprising. They ask you the exact same questions. The investment part is challenging. The PM would ask you quantitative related questions, investment related questions and would expect you to give the answer he wants while really you have many way to have an answer that is correct and makes sense

Interview Questions

• HR why have you left your previous job? why do you want to leave this one? (I was asked the same question 3 times...)   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Octopus Investments in December 2014.

Interview

Very one-way process, inconsiderate towards the candidates, which may give a hint of what the company is like if you ever become an employee. I went for 2 interviews, I was told the first one would last 30min to 1 hour, I was there for almost 2.5 hours, met 2 senior people in the marketing team. Then I was called for a second interview with HR. Again, I was told it was initially 30min, but that there was a chance that I had to complete a case scenario, depending on people's diaries. I travelled for 2.5 hours to spend 20 with an HR lady asking typical HR questions, after which I was told that the gentleman who would be meeting me for the case scenario was not available and I'd have to come back. The following week the HR lady called to say they would not call me back for the interview because my answers to her "could have been more direct and succinct" and because "other candidates have experience more relevant to Octopus". All of which is fair enough, but again a massive waste of time for the candidates. The amount and type of experience a candidate has can be figured out from their CV. Moreover, if they can rule you out after a 20-min interview with HR, then that should be the first interview to be scheduled, and preferably should be held over the phone. The process could have been done in a far more efficient way and bearing in mind that the candidates' time is also precious. Feedback should be constructive, with specific examples, rather than vague and fluffy.

Interview Questions

• None really - but expect a lot of standard HR questions.   Answer Question

Public Affairs Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

40-minute 1-on-1 interview with HR associate. Nothing too strenuous; suitability for role, previous experience. How would you like to see current project develop? What data would be most desirable for policymakers in current political climate?

Interview Questions

• How would you develop the presentation of current projects and data to suit individual politicians/clients?   Answer Question

Investment Complaints Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)) in April 2014.

Interview

contacted by Jigsaw, interviewed one week later following 2 telephone interviews. Interviewed by 3 senior members of staff for 2.5 hours.

Interview Questions

• What are you glad you don't have to put on your CV. Extremely conscious about errors in CV, including irregular spacing :-S.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

The interview was very much competency based. I was warned by the recruiter that they are quite picky on the type of people they hire and that is exactly how the recruitment manager kicked off the interview as well. That really does not set a great tone for the interview as it does not put you at ease. The questions were fairly easy, but very leading.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose Octopus Investments - and you are not allowed to answer X, Y and Z?   1 Answer

Investment Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)) in October 2010.

Interview

Initial approach from recruiter - consisted of a c.45min conversation covering general career history, background and skills. First interview with Octopus was a 60min screening interview with HR - very friendly, easy going, not too probing. Second interview was 60min with head of team. Very nice guy, although a little cold/detached at times. Sensed concern that their rapid growth might negatively impact their culture - although this was something they were aware of.

Interview Questions

• Was asked some stock interview questions about "difficult experiences and how were they overcome", "best/worst times in career", "talk about time of particular adversity and what you drew from it" etc.   Answer Question