Octopus Investments Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2015
Updated Feb 9, 2015

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Octopus Investments in December 2014.

Very one-way process, inconsiderate towards the candidates, which may give a hint of what the company is like if you ever become an employee. I went for 2 interviews, I was told the first one would last 30min to 1 hour, I was there for almost 2.5 hours, met 2 senior people in the marketing team. Then I was called for a second interview with HR. Again, I was told it was initially 30min, but that there was a chance that I had to complete a case scenario, depending on people's diaries. I travelled for 2.5 hours to spend 20 with an HR lady asking typical HR questions, after which I was told that the gentleman who would be meeting me for the case scenario was not available and I'd have to come back. The following week the HR lady called to say they would not call me back for the interview because my answers to her "could have been more direct and succinct" and because "other candidates have experience more relevant to Octopus". All of which is fair enough, but again a massive waste of time for the candidates. The amount and type of experience a candidate has can be figured out from their CV. Moreover, if they can rule you out after a 20-min interview with HR, then that should be the first interview to be scheduled, and preferably should be held over the phone. The process could have been done in a far more efficient way and bearing in mind that the candidates' time is also precious. Feedback should be constructive, with specific examples, rather than vague and fluffy.

Interview Questions
    • None really - but expect a lot of standard HR questions.   Answer Question

Public Affairs Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Octopus Investments in June 2014.

40-minute 1-on-1 interview with HR associate. Nothing too strenuous; suitability for role, previous experience. How would you like to see current project develop? What data would be most desirable for policymakers in current political climate?

Interview Questions
    • How would you develop the presentation of current projects and data to suit individual politicians/clients?   Answer Question

Investment Complaints Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Octopus Investments in April 2014.

contacted by Jigsaw, interviewed one week later following 2 telephone interviews. Interviewed by 3 senior members of staff for 2.5 hours.

Interview Questions
    • What are you glad you don't have to put on your CV.
      Extremely conscious about errors in CV, including irregular spacing :-S.

Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Octopus Investments in March 2011.

The interview was very much competency based. I was warned by the recruiter that they are quite picky on the type of people they hire and that is exactly how the recruitment manager kicked off the interview as well. That really does not set a great tone for the interview as it does not put you at ease.

The questions were fairly easy, but very leading.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you choose Octopus Investments - and you are not allowed to answer X, Y and Z?   View Answer

Investment Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Octopus Investments in October 2010.

Initial approach from recruiter - consisted of a c.45min conversation covering general career history, background and skills. First interview with Octopus was a 60min screening interview with HR - very friendly, easy going, not too probing. Second interview was 60min with head of team. Very nice guy, although a little cold/detached at times. Sensed concern that their rapid growth might negatively impact their culture - although this was something they were aware of.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked some stock interview questions about "difficult experiences and how were they overcome", "best/worst times in career", "talk about time of particular adversity and what you drew from it" etc.   Answer Question