Office Depot

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Champaign, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Office Depot in March 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process took longer than expected but the one on one interview was not very difficult. Previous customer service experience is a plus, as the company revolves around this more than others in the type of emphasis they put in it. It is like an indoctrination process. You will most likely be interviewed by the general store manager, so please be prepared with knowledge about the company prior to the interview. Also, it helps to overdress even if this is only another one of those retail jobs. First impression counts. The personality test can be difficult but not impossible to pass. One of the primary reasons that stores are understaffed is that they have a hard time hiring, as prospective candidates don't seem to be able to pass the personality and customer service test. On the test, select no other answer options but either "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree." Read about best customer service practices in retail and direct selling as well. If you are good with technology, try to apply for a position in tech services, definitely not freight and logistics unless you want to show up at 7am to stock items on the sales floor.

Interview Question – How would you go about selling X ? (Could be a pencil or any other of the items they carry in office supplies or technology)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Don't try to bid for more because they will start you at minimum wage anyway. However, it is still worth to ask. I had already graduated, my girlfriend still in school, so I had to take this job anyway. I tried negotiating for more but was given only 10 cents more than what I was earning at my previous job while still in grad school. Not the best retail job but way better than working in food services though, for sure.

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Office Depot in November 2012.

Interview Details – It was quick interview with a little bit of worry for me because it was my first serious job interview. However, manager of duty was friendly and he was listening for all my answers. He asked me questions about my knowledge in computers area and if i have a sales experience. And than he asked me, how can i sell this pencil for him. It was funny.

Interview Question – I think there is no very difficult questions.   Answer Question

Gaithersburg, MD

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Office Depot in June 2012.

Interview Details – 2 interviews as well as attempting to sell an item to the interviewing manager. they ask if you can sell. also if you can multitask. they ask if you can get to work on time. Also if you can get along with other people and be polite to customers.

Interview Question – What does customer service mean to you.   Answer Question

Santa Ana, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Office Depot in April 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process was pretty easy, so was the interview standard questions. You had to fill out an online application (I don't approve of...) then go into the store you are applying too and take the customer survey test and pass it. Then you get an interview and if they want to hire you they make you go take a drug test at a lab.

Interview Question – Give me an example of the best customer service story that you were a in as a customer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Wasn't able to negotiate on salary it was already set but they were very flexible on school hours and what times you needed off.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Office Depot

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Office Depot Customer Service Associate I interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Office Depot employees and interview candidates.