Office Depot

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Office Depot in February 2014.

Interview Details – The most frustrating interview process I have ever been a part of. The process took 3 interviews on separate days spread over 20 days for a part-time position of 20 hours or less. I applied for customer service but when interviewed, they asked me which position I would be interested in out of 3 options including one that stocked the shelves early in the morning. I said I would be open to any position but would be very interested in the stocking position because in the back of my mind, I knew it would work well with my full-time job hours. The manager then told me that it is a high-demand position that requires meeting deadlines and made it seem like I would not be a fit for the job because of that, yet my resume and interviews stated that I have plenty of experience in such positions. From what I got from the two managers who interviewed me, Office Depot is not a company an employee can "grow with" but yet they wanted me to be available for any shifts during the week because the schedule will vary, making it impossible to maintain a second job unless you can find graveyard shifts while Office Depot is closed. Then to add to the comedy, you have to pay for the shirts you are required to wear, which at two shirts, would be equal to my income for a day of work. No thanks. I am not a fan of giving someone 20 hours or less and spreading it out over 5 days like in my case where I would have almost 2 hours for a commute, just to work 4 hours per day. As someone who dealt with hiring and employee relations, it was painful to be interviewed by people who have no business doing so with generic questions they print out off a computer right in front of you. I received an offer without any position title or any mention of the pay, so I just declined the offer as I did not think the company made a good impression at all.

Interview Question – How would you sell me a computer?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They want to offer you 20 hours or less but somehow expect you to work varying schedules every week to prevent you from picking up a second job. My managers made it seem like growing with the company is incredibly rare which is not a good sign. Have to pay for uniforms and just got the impression that this was just a job for high school/college kids who were looking for a few extra bucks.

Very Easy Interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Office Depot in February 2012.

Interview Details – I had two interviews in the same day first one was with the general manager where he basically asked me simple questions that I aced like in no time after the interview I did a computer assessment where I had to score 70 or more which I did because I was asked to return for a 2nd interview in the afternoon with a department manager where he basically asked me the same questions as the general manager the only thing that was different was that I had to sell him something from the store and I did he walked to the back got a form and sent me or a drug test after saying they will hire me I just need to pass this test

Interview Question – Do you have sale experience? I said yes He then said sell me this pen and I sure sold it to him   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation was out of it because I tried to the pay rate and the manager told me its minimum wage

Lilburn, GA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Office Depot in July 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring manager will call and schedule an interview during that week he/she contacted you. They essential carry a list of questions about your achievements made, knowledge prior to applying for the job, dealing with customer issues, and resolving disputes. If they feel you have a potential for the position, a second interview is scheduled with the store manager. It is his/her final decision for employment. After a successful interview, he/she will hand over paperwork for drug testing. Finally, they send you on store tour to know where things are and scan IDs for record purposes. All uniform attire is ordered online. None is provided.

Interview Question – Can you name a situation where you have had problem and the steps you took to solve it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pay and uniforms were not negotiable. You either took it or moved on. The positions description was set with no changes allowed.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Office Depot

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Office Depot Customer Service Representative interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Office Depot employees and interview candidates.