Office Depot

Getting the Interview

24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Specialist I

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview Details – You fill out an online application (that includes copy of resume), if they consider you for the job the store manager gives you a call for an interview. Then you are asked to take a test. If you score high, you may get an offer.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Waxahachie, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview Details – The hiring process when I applied was the old standard of paper application. Once applied, you go into the store and take an assessment test. This usually takes 30-60 minutes and just basically asks behavioral questions, scenarios, and your personal ideas on the situation, or task. Every store is different and I was interviewed once with one of the floor managers. Questions are pretty basic: Why did you apply?, What makes you a team player?, What is your biggest contribution toward customer service? etc. People from other stores have been interviewed twice, usually with the department manager and then the Store manager. It's really not hard to get the job, just answer with the idea that customers come first and that you work with teams very well.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you gave poor customer service, and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, made less than previous job I worked at. At the time I was in college and just needed some income for food,gas, and anything school related.

Columbia, SC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Office Depot in July 2009.

Interview Details – The process is fairly simple. I applied in person with a paper application. This has changed to an online application with the same exact format. Then I came in to take an "Assessment Test" and was called back a few days later. The interview was basic. I recommend dressing business casual when taking the test and for the interview.

Interview Question – Am I willing to fulfill their expectations?   View Answer

Prince Frederick, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Office Depot in May 2013.

Interview Details – I submited my online application and went into the store the next day and they have me a test of about 110 questions. The test was completely on behavior and basicaly looks for how approachable you are to customers and your ability to sell on the floor.

Interview Question – A lot of the questions on when to approach the customer or what to say to them when selling can seem like they have multiple answers.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation was aaliable they were extremely clear on what the pay/benefits would be.

Bowie, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Office Depot in March 2012.

Interview Details – The Application must be done online from home or in the store, then a 120 question survey must be completed. After the initial interview a second interview is scheduled followed by a background check and drug screening. Providing all is well it would take around two to four weeks for the new employee orientation.

Interview Question – I never encountered anything too difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Customer Service Specialist I

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview Details – I heard that Office Depot was hiring so I went there and asked to talk to the manager. I took the assessment that very same day and got called back a week later, then scheduled an interview. I went through 2 interviews, one with assistant and one with head manager. They just asked me about myself, my goals, why I wanted to work here. Basically we sell ourselves to them. Why are you a good candidate? How would you handle a difficult customer, strengths, weaknesses, and work experience? Everything was positive and a chill interview and he told me to get the drug test!

Interview Question – None really. The interview was honestly like a conversation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Just gave us the wage that Office Depot offers and said there is an opportunity to grow.

Interviewed at Office Depot

Interview Details – Hiring process is completely online, managers have no control on who gets sent to which store. Then you have to answer a questionnaire in the store. Interview process is quick and speedy and by then you probably already have the job. (At least in my case.)

Interview Question – The most difficult situation is convincing customers how PC/Android is better than Apple.   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist I

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called by manager to come into store to take assessment. After completion, I was given my score immediately. Within three days I had interviewed with both the Assistant Manager and Store Manager and had accepted an offer for employment.

Interview Question – Name three bad things about yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was open but each position is restricted to a bracket.

Elizabethtown, KY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Office Depot in February 2012.

Interview Details – If you end up passing the test you have to take after applying you're pretty much guaranteed an interview and then the job since very few pass the test. The manager that interviewed me didn't really seem to want to conduct the interview and therefore just told me he just has to ask some basic questions so that he can have something to write down. The interview was pretty quick and to the point.

Interview Question – There wasn't any.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, as all employees start off with minimum wage regardless of experience.

Warner Robins, GA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Office Depot in October 2011.

Interview Details – It is not a difficult place to get hired as long as you dress very nicely when you show up to get the application because they mark on the application if you are dressed nicely. And also be sure to dress very nicely for the interview. Most people don't dress nicely so this will probably get you hired as long as you come across as being somewhat smart and articulate. The personality test might be the hardest part of the interview process. I would recommend presenting a fake positive profile when answering the questions on the personality test. Supposedly nobody is perfect, but believe it or not there actually are a few perfectly honest people out there who never do drugs and always report coworkers doing things wrong, etc., and those are the people that Office Depot would like to hire. If you want to get hired then pretend to be that type of person when you answer the questions on the personality test.

Interview Question – There were not any difficult interview questions for me. I'm sure it varies by location. But it was just a minimum wage job so I think they were mainly just observing that the person is going to be able to dress nice and present themselves well to customers in a friendly manner.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Office Depot

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Office Depot Customer Service Specialist I interview questions and advice. All 24 interview reviews posted anonymously by Office Depot employees and interview candidates.