Office Depot

Office Depot Department Manager Interview Questions

1.9

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Department Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Office Depot.

Easy interview, just wear nice clothes and shave. As long as you pass the 110 question survey you will get the offer.

none

Other Interview Reviews for Office Depot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Office Depot.

I was contacted bya a thier company recruter after emailing my resume to their HR department. First was a phone interview, then two face to face interviews with other store managers.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions was what do you expect to make working here? All the other questions were read right from a company script, which were the textbook type of interview questions anyone can find on the internet.   View Answer
    I had to negotiate the offer up about 20% because Office Depot pays at the bottom of the industry scale. I was able to do so becaues I have 15 years in retail management experience in the exact same industry. I was negotiating with a very new strore manager and so there was very little preasure and back and forth negotiation.

Department Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Office Depot.

Customer experience, retail experience, tech experience, decision quality

na

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Smyrna, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Smyrna, GA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Office Depot in October 2011.

Just like any other interview in retail. Very easy interview but Office Depot focus only on making the customer happy so any questions like that come up you will know how to answer them. The customer could be dead wrong but they will make them happy

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle and outrate customer who was wrong?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Office Depot in June 2011.

Long and drawn out. Took over a month to receive an official offer. Interviews were pretty basic.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had an unexpected emergency come up?   View Answer
    No real negotiation phase. Offer came through pretty easy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Office Depot in May 2011.

I applied for an open Department Manager position at the Office Depot near my house. I got an email telling me to call the store manager and we set up an interview. After the first interview with him, I was told to wait a week and I did a phone interview. After that one, I was set up for another interview on the other side of town. In that one, two people were interviewing me at the same time. After I went through that one, they said I had one last interview with the District Manager, a week from that day. But they took too long, and I was offered a better position with another company.

Interview Questions
    • Name one time you had to deal with an angry customer, how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

They took far too long and seemed unorganized.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, GA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Office Depot in February 2011.

Interview consisted of 4 separate interviews over a course of 4 weeks. Interviewed with the store manager, assistant manager, district manager, and then the store manager and assistant manager together. Each interview took between 1-2 hours. These people take this company and their management positions very seriously. After each interview I waited 3 days before I called in to "check the status" of everything. Being persistent with this company is a must to get your foot in the door. Interview questions were very basic. Asking what kind of person you are, how much experience you have, what types of experience you have, how long you want to be with the company, how high would you like to go with the company, etc. If you are selected for the position, you have to go to a training store for 4 weeks of paid training if you are an outside hire, and 3 weeks if you are an inside promotion. Training can be a little stressful because you will be paired up with the store manager for a majority of the time as far as your shifts go, so be prepared to go to work at 5am every day. Once training is complete, you start your position at your store.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were difficult or unexpected.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation. What you get offered is what you get.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winston-Salem, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Office Depot in November 2010.

I had originally applied to one store and was declined for an interview, but was referred to the manager of another store who called me for an interview. Before I could be considered for an interview I had to take a 100+ question evaluation. WOuld have loved to work there, but I didn't get called for a 2nd interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McDonough, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McDonough, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Office Depot in December 2009.

I went in to fax a paper and saw a paper taped to the front door stating "HIring for all positions." I asked a sales associate for an application, took it home, and filled it out. The application was a thick packet that was not so bad filling out. i submitted my resume with the application. When I went to turn it in the next day, I gave it to a sales associate who then told me i needed to take an online assesment. I was doing so, the assoc. gave my application/resume to the assist. store manager who was instantly impressed by my resume and told me to take "manager's" assesment instead. I did and passed. Immediately following was a short interview with the assist. store manager; that was easy and informal. It was through that small interview that the determination was made to set up an "real" interview with the store manager. That "real" interview lasted about 20 minutes and was also pretty easy. She asked a couple of "what would you do in this situation" type of questions. A couple of days later a signed a paper approving a background check and did a urinalysis. Tomorrow a have an interview with the training store manager which I am guessing is where I'll find out when I start....

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer is expecting to pick up an order that we have no knowledge of ever being placed?   View Answer
    I have gone through a negotiation phase yet nor do I know if ther is one.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Office Depot in September 2009.

I applied online. I was contacted by a Store Manager and interviewed on the phone. He was extremely nice and told me to come in to take the manager assessment test. After taking the test, he called me back in about a week and told me I did not pass but he would offer me a part time position. I explained this wouldn't work for me so he told me to take the test again. I did. I passed with flying colors. The same day, I had a face to face interview with another store manager. I was called that same day to schedule an interview with the District manager. The DM hired me.

Interview Questions
    • What do you have to offer Office Depot?   View Answer
    There is now no negotiations with salary. The Store Managers have been told to start everyone at the bottom of the pay scale and you can work your way up.