Office Depot

Very Difficult Interview

CPD Associate Interview

CPD Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Office Depot in July 2012.

Interview Details – Talk to a manager, be related to current employee. in my case, I talked to a manager four years ago, and this year they had an opening, after I applied to every branch in the region, in every way available, and made every bold statement that doesn't oblige an excuse.

Interview Question – Are you willing to work for minimum wage?   View Answer

IT Manager Interview

IT Manager
Boca Raton, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Office Depot in April 2011.

Interview Details – First contact was a phone screening by HR. The next step was a series of interviews with various team members which took about a half day. There were 2 to 3 people in each interview. Last step was meeting with the director.

Interview Question – What would be the it portfolio strategy you would recommend for Office Depot?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Lilburn, GA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Office Depot in July 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring manager will call and schedule an interview during that week he/she contacted you. They essential carry a list of questions about your achievements made, knowledge prior to applying for the job, dealing with customer issues, and resolving disputes. If they feel you have a potential for the position, a second interview is scheduled with the store manager. It is his/her final decision for employment. After a successful interview, he/she will hand over paperwork for drug testing. Finally, they send you on store tour to know where things are and scan IDs for record purposes. All uniform attire is ordered online. None is provided.

Interview Question – Can you name a situation where you have had problem and the steps you took to solve it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pay and uniforms were not negotiable. You either took it or moved on. The positions description was set with no changes allowed.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview Details – Be prepared to discuss past sales experience and what lead to your success. What will you be bringing to Office Depot as part of your skill set. HR will interview you first via phone and then a panel of managers will interview you. You must be able to demonstrate stability at prior roles and job histories with short tenures will be addressed. The STAR format of questioning is used and that is how answers should be provided.

Interview Question – What was your biggest failure in your last role and what did you do to learn from it.   Answer Question

Print Production/Digital Interview

Print Production/Digital
Boca Raton, FL

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Office Depot in January 2010.

Interview Details – Had a phone Interveiw with the district manager for about 45 minutes. Was then called in to the facility and the operations manager. Interveiwed for another hour an a half. Then was grilled by the 2 leads on the floor. No follow-up and no job offer. Complete waste of time.

Interview Question – Concerning Individual product's quality control and how to manage it.   View Answer

Assistant Merchant Interview

Assistant Merchant

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview Details – To start: I was career switcher and didn't have any Merchandising experience when pursuing an Assistant Merchant job, but I did have 10 years of management and director level experience in operations. That was very hard to overcome since I was viewed as "over qualified". I was prescreened by HR, which consisted of a 15 minute conversation covering high level qualifying questions for the position and pay. I was then scheduled for a day of interviews with 8 hiring Directors. Each interviewed was a two person panel that lasted about 45 minutes. The interview style varied but the core questions were the same from all. I didn't receive an offer. The feedback I received from a few interviewers: internal candidates offered more relevant experience; not having retail experience put me at a disadvantage; my level of experience over qualified me.

The result: I got a 9th interview a few weeks later and received an offer. That interview stemmed from recommendations given by a few of the hiring Directors.

Interview Question – I was asked a litany of "how would you handle" questions. These questions covered many critical problems Merchants face. Inventory issues, retail space problems, product issues, uncompetitive pricing, loss of marketing space...etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered more than I asked. My offer was based on my career experience.

Field Engineer Interview

Field Engineer
Boca Raton, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview Details – It was a very LONG process. Here was the process:
-Phone screening by HR recruiter
-Phone screeing by hiring Director
-Long Wait (8 plus month)
-On-site interview at DC with Director of Operations and HR Manager
-Long wait (4 month)
-On-site interview with hiring director and 6 other employees in different departments (Panel interview, behavioural questions, case study review and presentation)

Interview Question – The business case had a lot of information to review, analyze and develop strategies in 75 minutes.   Answer Question

Accounts Receivable Interview

Accounts Receivable
Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Office Depot in August 2013.

Interview Details – 3 interview stages; first was an AC, second with the HR; third with the manager.

Interview Question – This was a junior position, but I was bombarded with manager level questions.   Answer Question

Director Supply Chain Operations Interview

Director Supply Chain Operations
Baltimore, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Office Depot in December 2008.

Interview Details – The initial preparation was conducted by a series of meetings with a retained recruiter and a written response to a series of questions that should have clarified my background and determined my suitability for the role/responsiblity defined. Unfortunately, this did not appear to happen in the ultimate in person interview which required a day of travel and was in my view condensed to a 2 hour block of time fielding questions from a 3 person panel. The fact that another candidate was being interviewed simultaniously while logistically understandbly certainly lowered the prestige of the role and may have contributed negatively towards the whole process.

My initial impression of the interviewers is that they had NOT read the prior written material, and therefore may have either been surprised or disappointed with my background which truly is a waste of time for all parties. The panel interview is unfortunate and probably unnecessary for senior level roles - especially when individual interiews would offer each interviewer more time to satisfy their own objectives.

I was not pleased with the speed by which they dismissed my candidacy and their feedback was more personal [e.g. style or non-verbal cues] which was infuriating given that the format they chose ensured that the "dialogue" would either be stilted or too quick for a thorough response...

Interview Questions

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Office Depot in July 2008.

Interview Details – Overall interview consisted of very detailed questions about my skills, and experience. Many of my experiences were analyzed very critically. However there was much respect and understanding, along with wonderful conversation as to what future is available with the company.

Interview Question – Questions that pertained to the improvement of sales as it relates to the new industry I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were very straight forward and to the point.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Office Depot

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Office Depot Videos

Office Depot – Why Work for Us?

The company has combined annual sales of approximately $17 billion, employs about 66,000 associates, and serves consumers and businesses in 59 countries with more than 2,200 retail stores, award-winning e-commerce sites… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Office Depot interview questions and advice. All 224 interview reviews posted anonymously by Office Depot employees and interview candidates.