Office Depot Interview Questions

2.2

Retail Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Office Depot in June 2014.

I applied online and almost immediately was called in for an interview the following day. The hiring manager told me that he had scheduled me in for the afternoon at three, without any notice. I made it to the site 10 minutes early and had to wait 30 mins for the hiring manager to see me. While I was waiting the people there were friendly, albeit unenthusiastic. It appears as the people who work there don't enjoy it as much. We went into his office and he asked me three simple questions. I asked him several. Anyways I left him my resume and that was that. I didn't hear from them again but that's fine they were only offering 10.00 an hour and I just got hired at a base of 13.00 an hour plus salary.

Interview Questions
    • He only asked three questions, so the most difficult would be "What was your previous work experience like"   View Answer

Technical Lead Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Office Depot in February 2014.

The interview process is fast. However, it is the on boarding process that takes a little long and some times can be frustrating. But it is fun place to work so in my case, I didn't feel it. The managers and the directors are so nice that they facilitated the process to make it even shorter.

nice and welcoming

Assistant Manager Interview

interviewed at Office Depot in September 2011.

Initial telephone with a store manager from a different store than the one you are applying for. Follow up with face to face interview with another store manager. A third interview with the district manager. They were very respectful.The questions are fairly standard. I blew through them without any difficulty. The entire process took about 2 weeks.

Sales Associate Interview

There was a brief and friendly interview that mostly concentrated on what skills I could bring to the company. The remainder of the interview was mostly concentrated on the history and culture of the company, their dedication to customer service and the position of the company among its direct national competitors and the achievements of the company.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of personal resourcefulness in a customer service situation.   Answer Question
    A salary was offered and I accepted it.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Office Depot.

I went into the store and asked for an application. They let me use a computer to fill it out in the store. Unlike most places the employees were happy to see another person applying. I got a call about a week later and they asked me to come back to the store for an interview.

The interviewer was the manager but he wasn't the one in-charge of hiring. The second interview is when you speak to the person in charge of hiring. He was pretty cool guy. We blew through the questions and chatted a little bit. He was honest with me and told me he was happy with everything but the hiring manager was unlikely to take me because I had zero experience in selling. Which I saw coming. After that we talked about sushi and I asked him for advice on some other things like interviewing do's and don'ts. He really opened my eyes to somethings. Didn't get the job but it was a positive experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Office Depot in May 2012.

Part-time applicants first fill out a paper or online application. After submitting this application, applicants take a short quiz on a computer in store. The quiz presents a number of customer service-related questions in a "what would you do" multiple-choice format. If a candidate scores well on the quiz, he or she is invited back to interview with store managers. The first interview is with a department or the assistant manager. In the screening interview, the manager is gauging whether or not an applicant should be considered for hire. The interview takes about half an hour consisting of mostly conversational questions regarding previous experiences. If this interview goes well, the applicant either immediately interviews with the store manager, or is invited back when the store manager is available to conduct an interview. The store manager interview focuses mostly on placement (general sales, tech sales, freight/logistics, cashier, etc) and general explanation of procedures and expectations. When an applicant interviews with the store manager, he or she has already been recommended for hire by the other manager. Following a background check and drug screening, new hires complete a 2-3hr orientation, then begin work.

Interview Questions
    • (For tech sales) What products are you least comfortable selling?   View Answer

Logistics Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Office Depot in September 2014.

Responded to an online post for a Morning Freight Logistics position at Office Depot. The process overall was easy, the personnel were polite, and it wasn't a stressful experience. I expect this is because it wasn't truly a logistics position, they were trying to class up the position by calling it morning freight logistics. It was a position for a shelf stocker, who would show up early in the morning and move inventory onto shelves.

I was extremely overqualified for the position, and only went to the interview based on the job title. Title did not match duties.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sandy Plains, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sandy Plains, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Office Depot in March 2012.

One interview with the store manager, and I was hired. It was not a detailed interview, but I had managed physician groups as large as 36 physicians, in six different states, and I had purchased much of our supplies from Office Depot stores in those 6 states. Having managed as many as 110 employees, I didn't think the store manager had to grill me very much. In my Healthcare jobs I hired and managed all the employees, including the physicians, and I had to fire a couple of the MD's in those positions.

There was no negotiation

Customer Service Specialist I Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Office Depot in November 2012.

Contacted the same week that I applied for the position. When I arrived at the store there was an online assessment that was required to see if I even qualified for an interview. The first interview was with the assistant store manager who asked some basic interview questions. A second interview was scheduled a few days later. The second interview was with the manager a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • The pre-interview questionnaire was unexpected. Before I could actually interview with the assistant manager. I had to stand in front of the store and answer all the personality questions for about half an hour.   Answer Question

Lead Consultant, Retail Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Office Depot in August 2014.

Initial telephone interview with HR; second telephone interview with Sr. HR; two on-site interviews with members of the team. I was asked if I was open to completing an online video test to provide an example of my facilitation skills. It was not required since I was able to have the on-site interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly standard questions; one of the most difficult/uncomfortable questions was when they asked about how I would respond to someone (executive level) that does not believe the training is necessary. It turned into a role-playing situation and the interviewer was determined to play devil's advocate to every answer I provided. With limited information of their process and procedures it was a no-win regardless of my answers or suggestions.   View Answer