Office Depot

Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Team Leader Interview

Store Team Leader
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Office Depot in August 2010.

Interview Details – Apply for the job, Be honest, first interview is with the DM, then with the HR. Looking for sales and services minded leaders.

Interview Question – Describe your leadership style   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate I Interview

Customer Service Associate I
Champaign, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Office Depot in March 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process took longer than expected but the one on one interview was not very difficult. Previous customer service experience is a plus, as the company revolves around this more than others in the type of emphasis they put in it. It is like an indoctrination process. You will most likely be interviewed by the general store manager, so please be prepared with knowledge about the company prior to the interview. Also, it helps to overdress even if this is only another one of those retail jobs. First impression counts. The personality test can be difficult but not impossible to pass. One of the primary reasons that stores are understaffed is that they have a hard time hiring, as prospective candidates don't seem to be able to pass the personality and customer service test. On the test, select no other answer options but either "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree." Read about best customer service practices in retail and direct selling as well. If you are good with technology, try to apply for a position in tech services, definitely not freight and logistics unless you want to show up at 7am to stock items on the sales floor.

Interview Question – How would you go about selling X ? (Could be a pencil or any other of the items they carry in office supplies or technology)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Don't try to bid for more because they will start you at minimum wage anyway. However, it is still worth to ask. I had already graduated, my girlfriend still in school, so I had to take this job anyway. I tried negotiating for more but was given only 10 cents more than what I was earning at my previous job while still in grad school. Not the best retail job but way better than working in food services though, for sure.

Very Easy Interview

Database Manager Interview

Database Manager
Itasca, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Office Depot in December 2010.

Interview Details – Told me exactly what the job entailed and the upcoming conversion.

Help Desk Analyst Interview

Help Desk Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Office Depot in October 2013.

Interview Details – It was very straight forward.

Interview Question – How would you approach a customer whose computer crashed completely while getting repaired?   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist I Interview

Customer Service Specialist I
Columbia, SC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Office Depot in July 2009.

Interview Details – The process is fairly simple. I applied in person with a paper application. This has changed to an online application with the same exact format. Then I came in to take an "Assessment Test" and was called back a few days later. The interview was basic. I recommend dressing business casual when taking the test and for the interview.

Interview Question – Am I willing to fulfill their expectations?   View Answer

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Schaumburg, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Office Depot in March 2009.

Interview Details – I had one interview. The process was quick, I got an immediate offer.

Interview Question – Focused more on my grocery background than my computer sales and management background.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I requested a higher salary that I did not get. Salary I received was appropriate for the position.

Very Easy Interview

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Birmingham, AL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Office Depot in November 2012.

Interview Details – Completed an online application two days later got a call from the Store Manager. Interview was scheduled for the next day. Was hired within a weeks time.

Interview Question – What would you do if I was out to lunch and there was an irate customer asking for me?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate.

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Signal Hill, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Office Depot in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied for position online. Went through automated assessment which includes a few vague situational questions that left me unsure of what they were looking for. Received a call a couple weeks later from HR. The woman was screening for applicants that she felt were qualified to move on to a live interview. I was asked to come in after she confirmed that my profile fit the position. (To be honest, she seemed to be a bit of an 'air head'). Next interview was with someone from HR. Meeting was brief. Then met with an assistant general manager. He was well-rehearsed with canned questions regarding "what would you do if...?" and "when you made a mistake how did you fix it?" He didn't appear to be listening to my answers. In fact, most of the time I had to sit and listen to him brag about how successful he was and, basically, 'this place couldn't run without me' kind of attitude. I thought, "if this is the person I'm going to be reporting to, maybe I should just keep looking." The ego was too much. It's been a few weeks and I haven't heard back. And, in reality, I hope I don't.

Interview Question – If you review the basic behavioral questions that most companies ask and have an experience to share you will be way ahead of the person that interviewed me. But be prepared to listen to a lot of egotistical bragging. It's unreal.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview Details – Before you get called in forja interview you have to take a test on a compter. You probably already know this test.. It's where they ask you a series of 'what would you do if.....' type questions. If you pass those questions then you will get a call back for an interview. Got called back within a few days for a face to face interview with the assistant manager and was asked the simple regular questions. Told that they where going to interview some more and then they would make a decision. Got a call a couple days later with a job offer.

Interview Question – Because of being a sales position i was asked to demonstrate how to sale a computer on the spot. Not really difficult but it was unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Transportation Analyst Interview

Transportation Analyst
Boca Raton, FL

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview Details – They take forever to get back to you for an interview. Was promised an interview and they never called and would pick up the phone and not be able to answer any questions