Office Depot

Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate

Interviewed at Office Depot

Interview Details – Long process, to apply and interviews went in at least 3 days within 2 weeks to fill out paper work

Interview Question – How to handle an angry customer?   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist I Interview

Customer Service Specialist I
Prince Frederick, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Office Depot in May 2013.

Interview Details – I submited my online application and went into the store the next day and they have me a test of about 110 questions. The test was completely on behavior and basicaly looks for how approachable you are to customers and your ability to sell on the floor.

Interview Question – A lot of the questions on when to approach the customer or what to say to them when selling can seem like they have multiple answers.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation was aaliable they were extremely clear on what the pay/benefits would be.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview Details – Applied online got a call for an interview it was 2;1 interview with store manager and his assistant.After interview went for a drug test and background check.Got a call in a week and started working.

Interview Question – Manager handed me a pen and asked me to sell it.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Specialist I Interview

Customer Service Specialist I
Bowie, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Office Depot in March 2012.

Interview Details – The Application must be done online from home or in the store, then a 120 question survey must be completed. After the initial interview a second interview is scheduled followed by a background check and drug screening. Providing all is well it would take around two to four weeks for the new employee orientation.

Interview Question – I never encountered anything too difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Territory Development Representative Interview

Territory Development Representative
Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Office Depot in October 2011.

Interview Details – Went in to corporate satellite office, sat with three managers, discussed my experience in the store level. Was called later that day and offered the position. Was not drug tested because I had already done that in the retail level. However, all new employees must go to a lab and do a urine drug test

Negotiation Details – None

Department Manager/Assistant Manager Interview

Department Manager/Assistant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Office Depot in July 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter based on a resume I had posted with an on-line job board. We scheduled a time for a phone interview--the recruiter based in Chicago would call me at the appointed time. She was 15 minutes late, but the interview went well. She was very personable, and the questions were fairly standard behavioral questions--"Describe your most difficult sale", "Tell me about a time when you had a disappointed customer", "What did you enjoy most about your last job".

I asked some questions at the end, but it was left very positive. She said she was going to recommend me for an interview with the store manager. She said to be sure to complete the on-line application, and take the on-line assessment. If I do not hear anything within 2 days of completing that, to give her a call. She wanted to be sure I "did not fall through the cracks" because I was " a great candidate".

The on-line application took some time because there was not a job posting for the store for which I interviewed, and the system froze whenever I attempted to download my resume. I finally just copied and pasted it. I sent the recruiter an e-mail alerting her to the issues, and I also let her know that I had completed the assessment. The assessment is fairly standard, although some of the questions were a bit tricky--"I never lie", "I never think about not following the rules"--if you're really honest, you cannot say you Strongly Agree to those 2 (especially the first one). In any event it was all completed and I waited the two plus days--no word. I e-mailed the recruiter per her instructions--no word. I called the recruiter a couple of days later and left a voice message--no word. Obviously, I got the message and stopped following up.

I question the value of using 3rd party recruiters when they lie to candidates, and are too lazy to follow up as they promise. It certainly paints a poor picture for me of the quality of the employer--Office Depot in this instance--when they utilize such sloppy recruiters for such a key business function.

Interview Question – None were very difficult if you prepare in advance.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Office Depot in January 2010.

Interview Details – Asked a handful of questions regarding situations from previous jobs and what I would do in certain situations.

Interview Question – None of the questions were particularly difficult, they were just very boring questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated wage, I had previous retail experience and argued politely that if I were to work I needed a little more money.

Department Manager Interview

Department Manager
Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Office Depot in June 2011.

Interview Details – Long and drawn out. Took over a month to receive an official offer. Interviews were pretty basic.

Interview Question – Have you ever had an unexpected emergency come up?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation phase. Offer came through pretty easy.

District Manager Interview

District Manager

Interviewed at Office Depot

Interview Details – Basic phone call screen and in person interview process; it was very quick process; took about 2 weeks from start to finish where the offer came in. The whole process was professional but lacked any real authentic interest; just seemed to want to get through it even though their interest level was good as I ultimately got the offer pending background screen process.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time....not difficult but never easy to answer to fit the purpose of what they are looking for   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – somewhat; offered a signing bonus; probably could have asked for more salary as their was some room it seems but I found their offer fair and did not want to go much higher and risk being too high

Technology Specialist Interview

Technology Specialist
Vernon Hills, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Office Depot in September 2012.

Interview Details – I first interviewed with the Assistant Manager. He was also the stores most knowledgeable tech person. I was asked a series of general questions about myself and my reasoning for applying followed by some personality and professional serve questions to gauge my ability to perform.

We ended up going longer than expected because we got a little caught up in discussion on technology. I was then asked a few qualifying questions to make sure I know my stuff (tech wise). I was asked to choose an item in his office and attempt to sell it to him. Lastly the age old question, "Why do you think you will be a good fit for Office Depot."

I was told on the spot that I would be recommended to the GM and a second and final interview would be scheduled soon. Upon arriving for my second interview, only a few days later, I was a little taken back that the GM was my age (mid-20s), but that was quickly dismissed once he started talking. He was very bright and professional.

A lot of questions from the first interview were repeated. I assume that was for his benefit in gauging me and to verify his Assistant's comments about me. I believe he had a copy of notes taken during my first interview and was likely making sure my answers didn't change too much. It was pretty standard and very similar to the first interview.

He told me about the company, his quick move up the ranks, and told me that they like to promote when you deserve it and if I worked hard enough I shouldn't have any problems moving up (Side note: I later found this to be true and was promoted after a few months). At the end of the interview he asked me about myself again and wanted to know if I planned on staying for a while or if I just wanted something temporary. They have a lot of summer people and needed more year round employees.

I was giving the job on the spot, and given lots of hours right away. I was also offered a slightly higher than expected pay rate than initially promised. I did have to take a drug test as well.

Overall I think this was one of my better interview experiences.

Interview Question – "Try to sell me something in my office."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Originally I was told they were were only hiring new people at minimum wage. There was no negotiation, but I was offered a decent amount above minimum.