Office Depot

Relevance Date Difficulty

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Part Time Sales Associate
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Office Depot in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, called the manager to check on application the next day. I came in a day later to take the personality assessment on the copy center computerizes in the store. Within 3 days I received my first interview with the assistant manager which was friendly and imformative. The second interview a week later with the store manager. I took a drug test the same day at a different location across town and was called a week later when my results came back after the background check was also complete. I was offered the job but at a much lower rater than we had agreed on previously.

Interview Question – Most difficult thing was trying to get a hire salary than the minimum even with experience   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Consider taking this only if you want temp. work... you don't move up here.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Office Depot in March 2012.

Interview Details – I went into the store first to introduce myself and get a feel for the people and location. Talked to a manger and really hit it off with her(unfortunately, no one tells you that the management changes every couple of months). Noted the all female management; thought that was awesome.

Sent in my application and a week later, maybe less got a phone call.
We set up an interview date and I went in, interviewed, and we set up another date immediately for the skills and personality test.
It was about 100 or so questions about situations and your role in a retail setting. You have to get a specific score and I got another phone call shortly thereafter.

Got trained for my cashier position in a couple of days and then was put out on the floor.

Be prepared to pick up other people's slack.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job? or Why would you fit in here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Nothing, really happened

Supply Chain Manager Interview

Supply Chain Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview Details – Easy Process, not as structured as I expected. Very family feeling right from the start. Two interviews, your possible manager first then Senior management.

Interview Question – What makes you different from other candidates?   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Customer Service Associate

Interviewed at Office Depot

Interview Details – Long process, to apply and interviews went in at least 3 days within 2 weeks to fill out paper work

Interview Question – How to handle an angry customer?   Answer Question

Customer Service Specialist I Interview

Customer Service Specialist I
Prince Frederick, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Office Depot in May 2013.

Interview Details – I submited my online application and went into the store the next day and they have me a test of about 110 questions. The test was completely on behavior and basicaly looks for how approachable you are to customers and your ability to sell on the floor.

Interview Question – A lot of the questions on when to approach the customer or what to say to them when selling can seem like they have multiple answers.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation was aaliable they were extremely clear on what the pay/benefits would be.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview Details – Applied online got a call for an interview it was 2;1 interview with store manager and his assistant.After interview went for a drug test and background check.Got a call in a week and started working.

Interview Question – Manager handed me a pen and asked me to sell it.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Specialist I Interview

Customer Service Specialist I
Bowie, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Office Depot in March 2012.

Interview Details – The Application must be done online from home or in the store, then a 120 question survey must be completed. After the initial interview a second interview is scheduled followed by a background check and drug screening. Providing all is well it would take around two to four weeks for the new employee orientation.

Interview Question – I never encountered anything too difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Territory Development Representative Interview

Territory Development Representative
Columbia, MD

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Office Depot in October 2011.

Interview Details – Went in to corporate satellite office, sat with three managers, discussed my experience in the store level. Was called later that day and offered the position. Was not drug tested because I had already done that in the retail level. However, all new employees must go to a lab and do a urine drug test

Negotiation Details – None

Department Manager/Assistant Manager Interview

Department Manager/Assistant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Office Depot in July 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter based on a resume I had posted with an on-line job board. We scheduled a time for a phone interview--the recruiter based in Chicago would call me at the appointed time. She was 15 minutes late, but the interview went well. She was very personable, and the questions were fairly standard behavioral questions--"Describe your most difficult sale", "Tell me about a time when you had a disappointed customer", "What did you enjoy most about your last job".

I asked some questions at the end, but it was left very positive. She said she was going to recommend me for an interview with the store manager. She said to be sure to complete the on-line application, and take the on-line assessment. If I do not hear anything within 2 days of completing that, to give her a call. She wanted to be sure I "did not fall through the cracks" because I was " a great candidate".

The on-line application took some time because there was not a job posting for the store for which I interviewed, and the system froze whenever I attempted to download my resume. I finally just copied and pasted it. I sent the recruiter an e-mail alerting her to the issues, and I also let her know that I had completed the assessment. The assessment is fairly standard, although some of the questions were a bit tricky--"I never lie", "I never think about not following the rules"--if you're really honest, you cannot say you Strongly Agree to those 2 (especially the first one). In any event it was all completed and I waited the two plus days--no word. I e-mailed the recruiter per her instructions--no word. I called the recruiter a couple of days later and left a voice message--no word. Obviously, I got the message and stopped following up.

I question the value of using 3rd party recruiters when they lie to candidates, and are too lazy to follow up as they promise. It certainly paints a poor picture for me of the quality of the employer--Office Depot in this instance--when they utilize such sloppy recruiters for such a key business function.

Interview Question – None were very difficult if you prepare in advance.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Office Depot in January 2010.

Interview Details – Asked a handful of questions regarding situations from previous jobs and what I would do in certain situations.

Interview Question – None of the questions were particularly difficult, they were just very boring questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated wage, I had previous retail experience and argued politely that if I were to work I needed a little more money.