Office Depot Technology Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Jul 7, 2015

2.3

Technology Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Office Depot.

Interview

Online application (1 hour), 130 question quiz in the store, 35 minute first interview, 1 1/2 hour second interview. It was a little lengthy for a part-time store position. I'm unsure why the application process is so drawn out. Happy I got the job but, hmm.

Interview Questions

• What defines good and bad customer service?   1 Answer
  • How do you talk to someone who's not pulling their weight in the team?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Office Depot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Office Depot (Charlotte, NC) in July 2014.

Interview

Initially, the interview was done after speaking to the Store Manager and it followed up with one interview where I was probed about a criminal record. Considering I've worked for the company before I don't believe that was a unnecessary conversation. All it took was a question and some initial investigation. Likewise, I didn't have anything to hide. After the interview I waited a week until I heard anything about the initial job, but given the week passed and I was hired the interview proved my word was my bond and I was hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Metairie, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Office Depot (Metairie, LA) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview process was slightly difficult because of the questions. Was interviewed by the store manager and then one of the department managers. The store manager asked the tough questions and the department manager was very relaxed which helped me relax. Store manager will hire anybody who can sell themselves even decently.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness? How comfortable are you with numerical data? Greatest strength? Sell me this pen.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Office Depot (Hamilton, OH) in June 2014.

Interview

Normal interview type questions. They make sure you know your stuff if you're going to be a tech. They want you to work a lot even if you're only part time.

Interview Questions

• What makes you qualified for the position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negotiable pay. Minimum wage. After a year, you get a 1.5% raise.

Technology Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Office Depot in June 2013.

Interview

I intitially walked in to my local Office Depot store and asked if they were hiring Technology Specialists. A manager immediately pulled up a short sales-skills quiz on one of the computers and invited me to fill it out. It asked for my personal details, and some extremely basic questions about dealing with customers, and what types of work I would be willing and unwilling to do. I passed this assessment, and then was asked a series of tech questions by another technology associate who was relaying questions and answers to the tech manager. They were extremely basic questions such as "Can you downgrade from Windows 8 to 7?" "Is it recommended? Why or why not?" "What is the first thing you do before working with the insides of a computer?" and "What is a rootkit and what is the best way to remove it?" I answered all the questions correctly, and a week later was called into an "interview" with the store manager. The store manager asked me "Why are you interested in working at office depot?" and after I answered, offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• "Why are you interested in working at office depot?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Office Depot (Sacramento, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

One hur Interview with the manager and Assistant manager....wanted to know availability and tech experience. Wanted to know if I would have any difficulty selling alonsid fixing computers. Wanted to know if I was comfortable selling extended warranties.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Low starting pay going in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Office Depot (Vernon Hills, IL) in September 2012.

Interview

I first interviewed with the Assistant Manager. He was also the stores most knowledgeable tech person. I was asked a series of general questions about myself and my reasoning for applying followed by some personality and professional serve questions to gauge my ability to perform. We ended up going longer than expected because we got a little caught up in discussion on technology. I was then asked a few qualifying questions to make sure I know my stuff (tech wise). I was asked to choose an item in his office and attempt to sell it to him. Lastly the age old question, "Why do you think you will be a good fit for Office Depot." I was told on the spot that I would be recommended to the GM and a second and final interview would be scheduled soon. Upon arriving for my second interview, only a few days later, I was a little taken back that the GM was my age (mid-20s), but that was quickly dismissed once he started talking. He was very bright and professional. A lot of questions from the first interview were repeated. I assume that was for his benefit in gauging me and to verify his Assistant's comments about me. I believe he had a copy of notes taken during my first interview and was likely making sure my answers didn't change too much. It was pretty standard and very similar to the first interview. He told me about the company, his quick move up the ranks, and told me that they like to promote when you deserve it and if I worked hard enough I shouldn't have any problems moving up (Side note: I later found this to be true and was promoted after a few months). At the end of the interview he asked me about myself again and wanted to know if I planned on staying for a while or if I just wanted something temporary. They have a lot of summer people and needed more year round employees. I was giving the job on the spot, and given lots of hours right away. I was also offered a slightly higher than expected pay rate than initially promised. I did have to take a drug test as well. Overall I think this was one of my better interview experiences.

Interview Questions

• "Try to sell me something in my office."   1 Answer

Negotiation

Originally I was told they were were only hiring new people at minimum wage. There was no negotiation, but I was offered a decent amount above minimum.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Office Depot (Houston, TX) in September 2010.

Interview

My initial contact was as a walk in applicant in response to a Now Hiring sign. I was given an application even though I had a thorough prepared resume'. I was also asked to take the personality test immediately for consideration of my application to move forward. My first interview actually took place that same day with the store manager. Highly impressed, she cut our visit short due to "no need of more information" she was satisfied with my credentials and wanted to expedite the interview process to the other two managers. Upon my return for my second interview, the manager asked me about knowledge of technology. After I basically "spoke an unfamiliar language" as far as he was concerned, he set me to meet with the then Technology Sales Manager. Suffice it to say my knowledge even exceeded his so he shifted the interview to my sales ability in regard to the company's Product Protection Plans and Tech Services. My experience with that was also greater than he expected so I was offered the position. At that time, the store was not my idea of 'well organized' and the last so-called sales manager with whom I interviewed made candid derogatory comments about two of those who would become my future coworkers. As for my perceptions of those I had come in direct contact with, only the store's main manager gave me any impression of real competence.

Interview Questions

• (Unexpected) Do you think you could sell a Product Protection Plan?   1 Answer
    • If I bought a computer, what features/benefits would I like it to have?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate as I was only seeking PT employment and had no intention of forming a career with OD. I did however request a pay rate representative of the skills and experience which I was able to bring to the table which was denied me. Under the circumstances at that time, it was a non-issue.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Office Depot (Olathe, KS) in March 2009.

Interview

Sat down, interviewed with 2 other employees. Took personality test on the computer.

Interview Questions

• How would you react to a customer who got angry with you?   1 Answer

Technology Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Office Depot in February 2011.

Interview

I came into the store and interviewed with two different managers. pretty standard questions like "describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer" and what are your strengths and weaknesses". I was offered the job and was sent to take a urine analysis.