Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

www.occ.gov

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Average Difficulty
56 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process is long and in depth. The test was harder than expected and I passed that. The phone interview was all behavioral as well as the in person interview.

Interview Question – Tell us abouta time you had to deal with an ethical decision.   View Answer

Assistant National Bank Examiner

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview Details – Had an on-campus interview with the OCC. Very situational based questions and you had to answer in the STAR Format.

Interview Question – Mostly situational questions and they were only interested in you answering in the STAR Format.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

Interview Details – Must pass the knowledge and written test. The written one is harder, but not all too hard. I didn't pass the first time because I left out some information I thought was non-pertinent to the loan review. Just include all information from every paper they give you and you will be fine. I did that the second time and passed. Second interview is the phone interview which is simple just judging your interest of being an assistant national bank examiner and whether you are capable of working in a team.

Interview Question – Explain a time at work or school when there was a change to the way you had to do things. It may have been that you didn't agree with, but I can't quite remember.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2013.

Interview Details – First, you apply during the open season. This is eother in January or September. While applying you pick the top 2 places you are willing to work, unless there is a place in your city, be prepared to move. Then you have to pass a test of intermediate accounting and writing skills. If you pass that, then there is a phone interview. If that goes well, the OCC will pay for you to go to their district office for a in-person interview. You have to pass a FBI background check before they will offer employment. After that, if you are selected, you are offered employment.

Interview Question – I don't remember any specific hard question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. It was a set offer.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in November 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is relatively basic. There are two periods throughout the year where applications are accepted. By applying, you must self certify that you meet the minimum requirements for the position (in my case, it was a BSc in Business Management).

After the self certification, you are e-mailed to schedule a exam. The examination is provided by an outside testing facility and you will not meet anyone from the office at this time. The first test is basic accounting and finance. There are 75 questions and you have 90 minutes to complete all questions. I did not major in accounting and I thought the test to be relatively simple. You just need to make sure you study balance sheets, income statements, future/present value, etc. I believe all topics are listed on the OCC website. My exam was September 26th.

If you pass this test, you will then have a writing examination. They hand you a packet of loan documents and notes by a fictitious OCC examiner. What you need to do is examine the notes, and clearly state the red flags and how the red flags can be reconciled. All of this information is given to you. You are not expected to know anything. This examination is simply to gauge how well you can communicate a message. I majored in English for my first two years of college so I found it to be very easy. You have two hours for this part of the test. I finished in about 45 minutes and reviewed for another 15. I received my results on September 29th.

You will receive your results via e-mail after a few days (they say no later than 72 hours which is approximately when I received my results). At this point, your application will be reviewed and you may be contacted to set up a phone interview. I was called and we scheduled the interview for a few hours later. It's very laid back and pretty simple. The questions are all behavioral. I've detailed some of them below. I was honest about everything and gave specific examples. Everything you say is written down and sent to HR. I'm not sure if the person you are speaking to has any say in the hiring process. Keep in mind, it is always good to provide unique examples for every situation. If you have to reuse a scenario, then by all means, go ahead. As long as you're honest and you handled yourself well, there will be no negative results. My phone interview was October 18th.

I was told I would hear no later then November 1st if I would be attending career day. On October 31st, I received an e-mail that I was invited to career exploration day on November 19th in New York City. At this point, you must consent to a background check and have yourself fingerprinted. There are a lot of recent hires around to answer any questions you may have. Most of them have 1-2 years of experience. You learn a lot about the OCC and what you will be doing at this time. It's very informative and clears up any ambiguity you may have.

You will be brought to a panel interview at one point during the day. My interview was with two people. They were both very friendly and easy going. They ask very similar questions to the phone interview but they get a bit more involved. Essentially every question followed the same format: Name a time where this happened, how you responded to it and the outcome. It's important to use very specific examples here. If you need to take time to think, go right ahead. Ask questions if you need to. I needed them to clarify a question or two so I simply asked. It's important to not be nervous and just be honest and personable. At one point, I had my interviewers laughing with a story of mine. You're going to be working in a team, so having a little humor and lightheartedness when appropriate is a good thing. Just remember to be specific.

It was stated that we would not receive our results for at least 3 weeks but I received a phone call exactly 1 week later. The entire process took about 2 months.

You may feel intimated when you attend career day and see a lot of other applicants there, but do not worry. Don't forget, you are not competing with everyone for 1 position. There are a lot of open positions as there are a lot of applicants. So long as you're qualified and confident, you will get the job. Good luck, good skill.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were faced with an ethical dilemma at work.   Answer Question
  • Name a time you had to deal with a difficult group member.   Answer Question
  • Name a time you went above your normal job responsibilities and did something you were not expected to do.   View Answers (6)

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation for this position. The starting salary is a base $48,500 with geographical increases based on location. An exact detailing of specific increases can be found on the OCC website.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied in early October, took the 4 hour written/MC test by October 10th. Had the phone interview about 2 weeks later, which went well. Had the final in person interview in the NY field office the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and was notified of the job offer exactly one week from the interview date.

Interview Question – All behavioral. The most difficult was probably coming up with answer to "What is your biggest ethical dilemma and how did you deal with it?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Salary is set in stone.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process involves applying online in an 8 day window (which occurs twice a year), and then registering to take a test at a testing facility. The test is two parts, the first is general banking and accounting knowledge and is pretty easy. If you pass that test then you begin a written assessment which is time consuming but also not too challenging. Then you will have a phone interview where they ask you behavioral questions like "describe a time you worked in a group" or "describe a time you overcame a challenge." After that, you will be flown out to career exploration day for an interview in front of a panel of 3 people.

Interview Question – Name a time you faced an ethical dilemma and how you dealt with it   View Answer

Chicago, IL

Interview Details – The interview process for the Spring 2013 recruitment was new to the OCC and was the first time they had done recruiting/hiring like this. The first step in the process is applying online. There was a very short time frame to apply so you have to be watching the website constantly. Once you apply online, you are invited to take a couple tests at a testing center nearest you. The first test is a multiple choice basic accounting/finance test. If you pass the multiple choice test, you are prompted to take a written test. You have 90 minutes for the multiple choice and 2 hours for the written. Two hours seems like a lot of time, but I used almost all the time. You are told within a matter of a few days whether you passed the tests or not and if you pass, you are scheduled for a phone interview about 2 weeks later with someone from the office you chose as your 1 location choice. If you pass the phone interview, you are invited to the district office for Career Exploration Day. The Exploration Day is about 3 weeks after the phone interview. At Career Exploration Day, you have about an hour interview with the one of the offices you chose as your first or second choice. They also do a group session with all interviewees and go over general benefits and other general OCC information. They say you will be there about 3 hours but I was only there 2 hours. They even paid for us all to come the day before and stay overnight in a hotel to be well rested for the interview which I thought was really cool. The time frame for a hire/no hire decision is about 2 weeks but I heard back 8 days after the interview. Overall, the entire process was seamless and they really take the time to let you know all you need to know about the agency and answer any questions you may have.

Interview Question – Name a time when you were faced with an ethical dilemma.

Many questions in phone and in-person interview are behavioral based questions and generally are 3 part questions:
1. Describe the situation
2. How did you react/respond to the situation
3. What was the outcome
  View Answers (15)

Negotiation Details – There really is no negotiation. The salary is fixed but there is a cost-of-living increase based on location.

Assistant National Bank Examiner

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview Details – The job was posted on my university's career board. I applied through the OCC website and received an email a few weeks later to schedule a testing appointment. There were two tests, one for financial/accounting knowledge and one for writing. About 3 or 4 weeks after that, I was contacted to set up a phone interview. About two weeks after my phone interview, I received another email invitation to fly out to one of their regional offices for Career Exploration Day and a second interview. They said they would let me know either way in a week or two. About 3 weeks later I got an email saying I wasn't chosen.

Interview Question – general behavioral questions about your experience working with teams, complicated projects, etc.   Answer Question

Assistant National Bank Examiner

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview Details – The OCC has two hiring sessions each year, one in the spring and one in the fall. I applied online and shortly thereafter was instructed to take the preemployment assessments. The first test is an accounting assessment which was not difficult. Upon successful completion of this you immediately complete a written assessment. The time allowance was more worrisome than the actual assignment. I was notified immediately that I had passed. Within two weeks I was contacted about scheduling a phone interview. This interview is a straightforward behavioral interview focusing on the situation, your response and the outcome. About ten days later I was invited to a career exploration day. The day consisted of a short welcome presentation, fingerprinting for a background check and panel interviews. The interview was very similar to the phone interview, just more in depth. I received an offer within a week of the in house interviews. The salary is set, with the only adjustment coming in the form of geographical increases to offset higher cost of living expenses. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, set entry-level income.

Worked for Office of the Comptroller of the Currency? Contribute to the Community!