Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

www.occ.gov
Engaged Employer

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview Questions

Updated May 31, 2015

3.2

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview

Pretty long interview process. Applied through my college and heard back in about 2 weeks. You have to go and take 2 tests, one on financial literacy (although I found it heavy in accounting), and another to demonstrate that you could write up a detailed report on a fake bank exam. You are timed. Once you complete this, you are notified about setting up a second and subsequent interviews

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (Dallas, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process has 3 steps, a computer test, phone interview, and career exploration day at the region office. The computer test has two parts, multiple choice and essay. The phone interview is completely behavioral questions. Just because the phone interview is behavioral questions, do not assume that the career exploration day is not. At career exploration day, you will meet with recruiters , at least one national bank examiner to talk about the job as a group. After the group meeting, everyone goes their separate ways to either interview or have finger prints taken. In the interview, you will meet with three interviewers, managers, at once who will ask you behavioral questions and get to know you more. After the interview and fingerprints, the day is over. Most of the people in my group were flown in and out the same day.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work with a person of a different nationality, religion, or culture.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Four step hiring process. 1) Accounting and Finance skills test (multiple choice), 2) Writing test (anaylze loan documents and provide recombinations in a memo), 3) Phone interview 1:1, 4) In person panel interview 2:1

Standardized testing isn't too bad, but brush up on your journal entries and be very familiar with income statement and balance sheet analysis. Also, know your basic financial ratios since you'll be asked to make calculations and a formula sheet is NOT provided. Finance majors will have no problem with any of this.

Interviews were mostly behavioral/fit questions. Just relax and answer the questions. If the idea of talking with senior people in a conference room for an hour freaks you out you probably won't be a good fit for this job anyway and the interview will weed you out.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to research a problem and describe how you went about finding the answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (Dallas, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was long and consisted of multiple steps. I applied online in January, on about the 22nd. I received an email to schedule a test about a week later. The knowledge test consisted of mostly basic accounting and finance questions and was not too difficult, but it would help to brush up on some of your accounting if you haven't touched it in awhile. The writing skills tests consisted of summarizing some loan documents. I read on here that some people did theirs in bullet format. I actually wrote mine in letter format and just tried to include everything. I found out I passed about 3 days later. About two weeks after that I received an email to schedule a screening interview. He gave me a time and asked if that would work. It did, mine was about 3 days after I received the email. He was very nice and asked me a prepared list of behavior questions. They ask that you use a different example for each question. He asked a few follow on questions, but not too many. I tried to be very detailed in answering the questions though. It wasn't for about another two or three weeks after that that I heard that I was invited to Career Exploration Day in Dallas, TX. They offered to fly me out there, but I live in San Antonio and wanted to check out the area since I had Fort Worth as one of my preferences, so I declined and drove myself and stayed a couple of days before and after the interview. For the interview, I arrived in the morning and met two ambassadors who were very helpful and were there to show us where to go and answer questions. They were semi-recent hires themselves (they had been with the agency about 2 years) so they understood what we were going through and answered the many questions that I had. We had a brief presentation about the agency, their hiring, and some of the geographical scope of the assignments. They are very upfront about the travel and continue to ask you about it throughout the process. After that half of us went straight into interviews (there were 6 of us total). I did my interview first with a panel of 3 associate deputy directors from different locations. Two were from my preference list locations but this was merely coincidental. They were very nice and tried to make me feel comfortable. I was able to feel at ease quickly. They asked a series of behavioral questions. I actually thought this interview was easier than the phone interview. For me it was mostly getting past the nerves. After this they take you fingerprints and you are off. I heard exactly 8 days later that I got the job at my number 1 preference.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to deal with a tough teammate.
      Name a time you had to deal with an ethical dilemma
      Describe a time when you were criticized by a supervisor
      Why are you interested in the OCC?
      Name a time when you had a lot of responsibility. How did you handle it?
      Name a time when you had to work with someone very different from you.
      What class or experience do you think prepared you for working with the OCC?
      How to do plan and perform research? (I thought this question was the most interesting)
      Would you mind relocating?
      How will you deal with the travel?

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Knowledge test is accounting heavy, but not difficult. Writing test is tricky. Two hours seems like a long time, but with the excessive amount of information that they give you it goes fast. The most difficult part was trying to navigate the prehistoric word processing program that you have to use.

Phone interview is straight forward. Behavioral. Give answers in the STAR format.

Career Exploration Day is mostly them trying to convince you to take the job if it is offered to you. The in person interview was almost identical to the phone interview except with two different people asking the questions. Also, don't assume that you have the job if you are invited to Career Exploration Day. In my session there were ~15 other applicants and they have two sessions per day for at least three days. They hire a lot of people but certainly not that many.

The entire process was excruciatingly long. I initially applied for the position during the last week of January. Took the test the first week of February. Received the official results three days later. Was contacted to schedule the phone interview two weeks after that. Two weeks after the phone interview I was invited to Career Exploration Day, which was over a month later, the second week of April. A few days after Career Exploration Day I was offered the position. From start to finish the process took ~3 months.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to do research. How did you know you were done?   Answer Question

Had a better offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (Denver, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

Long process, submit online. Take a knowledge test, then phone interview then you are invited to career exploration day. Career exploration day involves a panel discussion and an interview. Interview is similar to phone interview with situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were faced with an ethical dilemma   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Submitted application mid January. Completed and passed both the written and knowledge test second week of February. Had my phone interview last week of February. Received invitation to Exploration Day first week of March. Had Exploration Day 2nd week of April. Received an offer the week after.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project or assignment, either at work or school, which required heavy analysis.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Phone interview lasted around 30 to 45 minutes. Was a bit nervous at first. Asked for the interviewer to eloborate on a few questions so i understood better. Described some situations from my educational background and from my employment history. They prefer for you not to use personal life examples.

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you had a difficult teammate?   224 Answers

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview

Applied online. invited to take the Knowledge and the Writing test. Went in there at 7:30 got out at 11:30. if you passed the knowledge test you'll move onto the written test. Was informed I failed the written test after I emailed them after 5 days. The test result did not arrive within 72 hour as promised. I addressed every issue and wrote it in essay format chronologically by event. First summarized situation, then addressed the issue, then make recommendation paragraph. I guess specific is not what they wanted. After researching some of the applicants that passed, was informed to just use bullet point and summary don't think of it as a writing test. They want an outline not an essay. (I currently work as a State Examiner for Mortgage Banking)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Picayune, MS

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (Picayune, MS) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview consisted of all behavioral questions. The interviewer describe the work that would be performed if chosen for the position. So what's the end of the interview I was then given a chance to ask the interviewer questions. The entire process took a little over 30 minutes. The interviewer was nice, and seemed happy that I had pertinent questions to ask.