Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

92 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Clerk/Student Trainee Interview

Clerk/Student Trainee

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was interviewed through the Academy of Finance program in high school. My interview was in March 2012 and I received a callback that following April. All communication after that was through email.

Interview Question – What do you know about the OCC?   Answer Question

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process is long and in depth. The test was harder than expected and I passed that. The phone interview was all behavioral as well as the in person interview.

Interview Question – Tell us abouta time you had to deal with an ethical decision.   View Answer

Assistant National Bank Examiner

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview Details – Had an on-campus interview with the OCC. Very situational based questions and you had to answer in the STAR Format.

Interview Question – Mostly situational questions and they were only interested in you answering in the STAR Format.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

Interview Details – Must pass the knowledge and written test. The written one is harder, but not all too hard. I didn't pass the first time because I left out some information I thought was non-pertinent to the loan review. Just include all information from every paper they give you and you will be fine. I did that the second time and passed. Second interview is the phone interview which is simple just judging your interest of being an assistant national bank examiner and whether you are capable of working in a team.

Interview Question – Explain a time at work or school when there was a change to the way you had to do things. It may have been that you didn't agree with, but I can't quite remember.   Answer Question

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2013.

Interview Details – First, you apply during the open season. This is eother in January or September. While applying you pick the top 2 places you are willing to work, unless there is a place in your city, be prepared to move. Then you have to pass a test of intermediate accounting and writing skills. If you pass that, then there is a phone interview. If that goes well, the OCC will pay for you to go to their district office for a in-person interview. You have to pass a FBI background check before they will offer employment. After that, if you are selected, you are offered employment.

Interview Question – I don't remember any specific hard question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. It was a set offer.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in November 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process is relatively basic. There are two periods throughout the year where applications are accepted. By applying, you must self certify that you meet the minimum requirements for the position (in my case, it was a BSc in Business Management).

After the self certification, you are e-mailed to schedule a exam. The examination is provided by an outside testing facility and you will not meet anyone from the office at this time. The first test is basic accounting and finance. There are 75 questions and you have 90 minutes to complete all questions. I did not major in accounting and I thought the test to be relatively simple. You just need to make sure you study balance sheets, income statements, future/present value, etc. I believe all topics are listed on the OCC website. My exam was September 26th.

If you pass this test, you will then have a writing examination. They hand you a packet of loan documents and notes by a fictitious OCC examiner. What you need to do is examine the notes, and clearly state the red flags and how the red flags can be reconciled. All of this information is given to you. You are not expected to know anything. This examination is simply to gauge how well you can communicate a message. I majored in English for my first two years of college so I found it to be very easy. You have two hours for this part of the test. I finished in about 45 minutes and reviewed for another 15. I received my results on September 29th.

You will receive your results via e-mail after a few days (they say no later than 72 hours which is approximately when I received my results). At this point, your application will be reviewed and you may be contacted to set up a phone interview. I was called and we scheduled the interview for a few hours later. It's very laid back and pretty simple. The questions are all behavioral. I've detailed some of them below. I was honest about everything and gave specific examples. Everything you say is written down and sent to HR. I'm not sure if the person you are speaking to has any say in the hiring process. Keep in mind, it is always good to provide unique examples for every situation. If you have to reuse a scenario, then by all means, go ahead. As long as you're honest and you handled yourself well, there will be no negative results. My phone interview was October 18th.

I was told I would hear no later then November 1st if I would be attending career day. On October 31st, I received an e-mail that I was invited to career exploration day on November 19th in New York City. At this point, you must consent to a background check and have yourself fingerprinted. There are a lot of recent hires around to answer any questions you may have. Most of them have 1-2 years of experience. You learn a lot about the OCC and what you will be doing at this time. It's very informative and clears up any ambiguity you may have.

You will be brought to a panel interview at one point during the day. My interview was with two people. They were both very friendly and easy going. They ask very similar questions to the phone interview but they get a bit more involved. Essentially every question followed the same format: Name a time where this happened, how you responded to it and the outcome. It's important to use very specific examples here. If you need to take time to think, go right ahead. Ask questions if you need to. I needed them to clarify a question or two so I simply asked. It's important to not be nervous and just be honest and personable. At one point, I had my interviewers laughing with a story of mine. You're going to be working in a team, so having a little humor and lightheartedness when appropriate is a good thing. Just remember to be specific.

It was stated that we would not receive our results for at least 3 weeks but I received a phone call exactly 1 week later. The entire process took about 2 months.

You may feel intimated when you attend career day and see a lot of other applicants there, but do not worry. Don't forget, you are not competing with everyone for 1 position. There are a lot of open positions as there are a lot of applicants. So long as you're qualified and confident, you will get the job. Good luck, good skill.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were faced with an ethical dilemma at work.   Answer Question
  • Name a time you had to deal with a difficult group member.   Answer Question
  • Name a time you went above your normal job responsibilities and did something you were not expected to do.   View Answers (6)

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation for this position. The starting salary is a base $48,500 with geographical increases based on location. An exact detailing of specific increases can be found on the OCC website.

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied in early October, took the 4 hour written/MC test by October 10th. Had the phone interview about 2 weeks later, which went well. Had the final in person interview in the NY field office the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and was notified of the job offer exactly one week from the interview date.

Interview Question – All behavioral. The most difficult was probably coming up with answer to "What is your biggest ethical dilemma and how did you deal with it?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Salary is set in stone.

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in August 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring and interview on campus.

Interview Question – How is the OCC's regulation of National Banks going to change over the next 10 years? 20 years?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview Details – I initially started at the OCC as an intern. Because I wasn't local to DC I only had a phone interview before receiving an offer. The phone interview essentially went down my resume where I was given the opportunity to further explain my education and experience. The interviewer then asked me a couple of behavioral questions, such as the classic: what is your greatest weakness. It lasted for about 20 minutes. I wouldn't consider it a hard interview. I was a good fit though and knew what they were looking for.

Once I was there in person I ended up getting a full-time permanent position. The interview for that were very informal since I had several months prior to get to know the hiring managers.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview Details – I gave them my resume at a career fair and was contacted for an interview within a few days. Met with the following people:

Office HR Manager: Discussed general experience and office culture. Asked the standard interview questions (What is your greatest strength/weakness?, etc)

Project Manager: Asked lots of behavioral and what-if questions.

Technical Lead: Mostly conceptual questions (How would you structure a given program? What language/resources would you use?)

Department Manger: Very conversational. Talked about agency mission

Interview Question – Overall the interview as very by the book. Nothing unusually difficult or out of left field.   Answer Question

Worked for Office of the Comptroller of the Currency? Contribute to the Community!