Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

Average Difficulty
92 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Atlanta, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process involves applying online in an 8 day window (which occurs twice a year), and then registering to take a test at a testing facility. The test is two parts, the first is general banking and accounting knowledge and is pretty easy. If you pass that test then you begin a written assessment which is time consuming but also not too challenging. Then you will have a phone interview where they ask you behavioral questions like "describe a time you worked in a group" or "describe a time you overcame a challenge." After that, you will be flown out to career exploration day for an interview in front of a panel of 3 people.

Interview Question – Name a time you faced an ethical dilemma and how you dealt with it   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process for the Spring 2013 recruitment was new to the OCC and was the first time they had done recruiting/hiring like this. The first step in the process is applying online. There was a very short time frame to apply so you have to be watching the website constantly. Once you apply online, you are invited to take a couple tests at a testing center nearest you. The first test is a multiple choice basic accounting/finance test. If you pass the multiple choice test, you are prompted to take a written test. You have 90 minutes for the multiple choice and 2 hours for the written. Two hours seems like a lot of time, but I used almost all the time. You are told within a matter of a few days whether you passed the tests or not and if you pass, you are scheduled for a phone interview about 2 weeks later with someone from the office you chose as your 1 location choice. If you pass the phone interview, you are invited to the district office for Career Exploration Day. The Exploration Day is about 3 weeks after the phone interview. At Career Exploration Day, you have about an hour interview with the one of the offices you chose as your first or second choice. They also do a group session with all interviewees and go over general benefits and other general OCC information. They say you will be there about 3 hours but I was only there 2 hours. They even paid for us all to come the day before and stay overnight in a hotel to be well rested for the interview which I thought was really cool. The time frame for a hire/no hire decision is about 2 weeks but I heard back 8 days after the interview. Overall, the entire process was seamless and they really take the time to let you know all you need to know about the agency and answer any questions you may have.

Interview Question – Name a time when you were faced with an ethical dilemma.

Many questions in phone and in-person interview are behavioral based questions and generally are 3 part questions:
1. Describe the situation
2. How did you react/respond to the situation
3. What was the outcome
  View Answers (15)

Negotiation Details – There really is no negotiation. The salary is fixed but there is a cost-of-living increase based on location.

Intern Interview

Intern
Washington, DC

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in May 2013.

Interview Details – Got a call from the OCC, went in for an interview with current employees. Walk through of resume, regular behavioral questions (why do you want to work here, what motivates you, etc.) Very nice people, laid back, overall easy interview. Got an email in less than a week with an offer.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Assistant National Bank Examiner

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview Details – The job was posted on my university's career board. I applied through the OCC website and received an email a few weeks later to schedule a testing appointment. There were two tests, one for financial/accounting knowledge and one for writing. About 3 or 4 weeks after that, I was contacted to set up a phone interview. About two weeks after my phone interview, I received another email invitation to fly out to one of their regional offices for Career Exploration Day and a second interview. They said they would let me know either way in a week or two. About 3 weeks later I got an email saying I wasn't chosen.

Interview Question – general behavioral questions about your experience working with teams, complicated projects, etc.   Answer Question

Assistant National Bank Examiner

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview Details – The OCC has two hiring sessions each year, one in the spring and one in the fall. I applied online and shortly thereafter was instructed to take the preemployment assessments. The first test is an accounting assessment which was not difficult. Upon successful completion of this you immediately complete a written assessment. The time allowance was more worrisome than the actual assignment. I was notified immediately that I had passed. Within two weeks I was contacted about scheduling a phone interview. This interview is a straightforward behavioral interview focusing on the situation, your response and the outcome. About ten days later I was invited to a career exploration day. The day consisted of a short welcome presentation, fingerprinting for a background check and panel interviews. The interview was very similar to the phone interview, just more in depth. I received an offer within a week of the in house interviews. The salary is set, with the only adjustment coming in the form of geographical increases to offset higher cost of living expenses. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, set entry-level income.

Assistant National Bank Examiner

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online through usajobs, there was only a week long window open to apply. I was then contacted to take two test at a local university. The first test you take says that it is accounting, finance, and banking. However, its nearly all accounting and I felt like I should have studied more to prepare. Upon passing that test it will then allow you to take a written exam where you will prepare a report based off of information from multiple sources; other bank examiners notes, loan docs, newspaper report, etc. A computer program now grades these test to take the subjectivity out of the process. Once I passed that I was phoned to set up a phone interview. Standard behavioral situation, action taken, outcome types of questions. After passing this part I was invited via e-mail to take part in the career exploration day at the district home office which for me was in Chicago. Here you will meet ambassadors(they have very good information to share and they have no input on your hiring decision so don't hold back), complete finger printing, consent to background and credit checks, and finally an hour long interview with 2-3 field office managers. This interview was similar in format to the phone interview but with different questions and more detailed follow-up questions. I was contacted by phone 8 days after the interview with an offer in my first choice location

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you experienced an ethical dilemma?   View Answers (4)

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation on the entry-level positions.

Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online in January, after submitting my application I signed up for a testing date. The exam consisted of basic accounting questions and once that is passed you write a practice memo about an imagined loan. About a week after taking the exams I was emailed to sign up for a phone interview, which took approximately an hour. After this phone interview I was invited to career exploration day in the Denver office, where there were "ambassadors" who were Assistant National Banking Examiners who could answer any of your questions. I was finger printed and consented to a background check. The HR representatives went over the positions benefits package and then I was interviewed by two senior managers. This interview took about an hour with these two alternating who asked the question and taking notes on my responses.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were faced by an ethical decsion in work or at school.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

Interview Details – Applied during application window. A couple day later I was invited to take two exams. First exam was a multiple choice exam and if passed was able to move onto a writing skills which consisted in writing a report on a failing bank loan. Two weeks later I was emailed and asked to take a phone interview. Phone interview questions were behavioral based. Two weeks later I was invited to the decision interview. Beginning of April went to district head quarters to get finger printed and go though final interview. Final interview was very similar to phone interview. Questions were behavioral based again. Was told I would be notified within two weeks if I would receive and offer or not. It has been about a week and half and still haven't heard a response. Look forward to hearing from them.

Interview Question – Have you ever dealt with an ethical decision and what did you do.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2013.

Interview Details – Passed basic knowledge and written test, had phone interview and was invited to Career Exploration Day/Decision Interview. Decision interview consisted of basic behavioral questions. The interviewers and ambassadors were very nice. Had to be fingerprinted. Waiting on background & credit check results. Told to expect to hear something within two weeks of interview.

Interview Question – The questions weren't difficult at all. The only challenge was thinking of specific and unique examples for each question, since they asked that I try to avoid using the same situation to answer more than one question..   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Assistant National Bank Examiner

I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2013.

Interview Details – I wrote one of the earlier interviews. I can add more detail now that I completed the process.

Applicants take two placement tests. One evaluates basic accounting principles while the other is a writing exam. The writing exam is more difficult in my opinion. Definitely study the rules for business communication before you take this.

Next stage is a telephone interview. The interviewer asks a few behavioral questions and whether you are willing to travel. Traveling is a major component of this position.

The final stage is the office visit. You fly to your district's headquarters and have a final decision interview with a panel. I think the interviewers are looking for candidates who demonstrate professionalism and technical skills. I got a phone call with a tentative offer from the HR Director about 2 weeks later, which I accepted.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in the OCC?   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. However, certain areas get a cost of living increase.

See What Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Employees Are Saying

Current Anonymous Employee

Pros: “-Exposure to executive management teams, Board of Directors, and senior OCC officials -Exposure to various functions within banking industry (investments, capital, earnings, etc…” Full Review

Worked for Office of the Comptroller of the Currency? Contribute to the Community!