Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Interview Questions

Updated May 31, 2015

3.2

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview

I initially started at the OCC as an intern. Because I wasn't local to DC I only had a phone interview before receiving an offer. The phone interview essentially went down my resume where I was given the opportunity to further explain my education and experience. The interviewer then asked me a couple of behavioral questions, such as the classic: what is your greatest weakness. It lasted for about 20 minutes. I wouldn't consider it a hard interview. I was a good fit though and knew what they were looking for.

Once I was there in person I ended up getting a full-time permanent position. The interview for that were very informal since I had several months prior to get to know the hiring managers.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (Washington, DC).

Interview

I gave them my resume at a career fair and was contacted for an interview within a few days. Met with the following people:

Office HR Manager: Discussed general experience and office culture. Asked the standard interview questions (What is your greatest strength/weakness?, etc)

Project Manager: Asked lots of behavioral and what-if questions.

Technical Lead: Mostly conceptual questions (How would you structure a given program? What language/resources would you use?)

Department Manger: Very conversational. Talked about agency mission

Interview Questions

• Overall the interview as very by the book. Nothing unusually difficult or out of left field.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in August 2013.

Interview

Hiring and interview on campus.

Interview Questions

• How is the OCC's regulation of National Banks going to change over the next 10 years? 20 years?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (Washington, DC) in May 2013.

Interview

Got a call from the OCC, went in for an interview with current employees. Walk through of resume, regular behavioral questions (why do you want to work here, what motivates you, etc.) Very nice people, laid back, overall easy interview. Got an email in less than a week with an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview

The job was posted on my university's career board. I applied through the OCC website and received an email a few weeks later to schedule a testing appointment. There were two tests, one for financial/accounting knowledge and one for writing. About 3 or 4 weeks after that, I was contacted to set up a phone interview. About two weeks after my phone interview, I received another email invitation to fly out to one of their regional offices for Career Exploration Day and a second interview. They said they would let me know either way in a week or two. About 3 weeks later I got an email saying I wasn't chosen.

Interview Questions

• general behavioral questions about your experience working with teams, complicated projects, etc.   Answer Question

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Interview

The OCC has two hiring sessions each year, one in the spring and one in the fall. I applied online and shortly thereafter was instructed to take the preemployment assessments. The first test is an accounting assessment which was not difficult. Upon successful completion of this you immediately complete a written assessment. The time allowance was more worrisome than the actual assignment. I was notified immediately that I had passed. Within two weeks I was contacted about scheduling a phone interview. This interview is a straightforward behavioral interview focusing on the situation, your response and the outcome. About ten days later I was invited to a career exploration day. The day consisted of a short welcome presentation, fingerprinting for a background check and panel interviews. The interview was very similar to the phone interview, just more in depth. I received an offer within a week of the in house interviews. The salary is set, with the only adjustment coming in the form of geographical increases to offset higher cost of living expenses. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were criticized by a supervisor and how you responded.   Answer Question
    • Discussion of teamwork experiences.   3 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation, set entry-level income.

Application

Interview

Applied at the end of January when the application window first opened, then received an email to schedule the knowledge/writing sample test. If you pass the knowledge test then you are allowed to take the writing sample portion which is writing a report based on the set of documents provided and incorporating the details the instructions ask for. I immediately got an email stating I passed right after completing my test. I then received another email a few days later to set up the screening phone interview. The questions were exactly as others mentioned, all behavioral and you must provide a specific example, don't be afraid to use more than one. If you score high enough, the score being based on test scores and your interview score then you are invited to Career Exploration Day. I applied for a Southern office and was flown into Dallas, TX. All the travel arrangements were arranged and paid by OCC.
    My hotel was within walking distance and when I arrived at OCC I was greeted by two OCC employees. I asked them a ton of questions as they had just recently completed training and gone out into the field. There was a total of four of us there for the interview, once we were all there we attended a short presentation with further details of the hiring process and the perks of the position. Following that came the panel interview with 3 managers each from a different office and all very friendly. After that came the fingerprinting and all the background check related activities. A week later I was offered the position for my number one choice.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a difficult group member and had to complete a project within a certain amount of time.   5 Answers

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (Chicago, IL) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview process for the Spring 2013 recruitment was new to the OCC and was the first time they had done recruiting/hiring like this. The first step in the process is applying online. There was a very short time frame to apply so you have to be watching the website constantly. Once you apply online, you are invited to take a couple tests at a testing center nearest you. The first test is a multiple choice basic accounting/finance test. If you pass the multiple choice test, you are prompted to take a written test. You have 90 minutes for the multiple choice and 2 hours for the written. Two hours seems like a lot of time, but I used almost all the time. You are told within a matter of a few days whether you passed the tests or not and if you pass, you are scheduled for a phone interview about 2 weeks later with someone from the office you chose as your 1 location choice. If you pass the phone interview, you are invited to the district office for Career Exploration Day. The Exploration Day is about 3 weeks after the phone interview. At Career Exploration Day, you have about an hour interview with the one of the offices you chose as your first or second choice. They also do a group session with all interviewees and go over general benefits and other general OCC information. They say you will be there about 3 hours but I was only there 2 hours. They even paid for us all to come the day before and stay overnight in a hotel to be well rested for the interview which I thought was really cool. The time frame for a hire/no hire decision is about 2 weeks but I heard back 8 days after the interview. Overall, the entire process was seamless and they really take the time to let you know all you need to know about the agency and answer any questions you may have.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you were faced with an ethical dilemma.

Many questions in phone and in-person interview are behavioral based questions and generally are 3 part questions:
      1. Describe the situation
      2. How did you react/respond to the situation
      3. What was the outcome

15 Answers

Negotiation

There really is no negotiation. The salary is fixed but there is a cost-of-living increase based on location.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (Atlanta, GA) in April 2013.

Interview

The hiring process involves applying online in an 8 day window (which occurs twice a year), and then registering to take a test at a testing facility. The test is two parts, the first is general banking and accounting knowledge and is pretty easy. If you pass that test then you begin a written assessment which is time consuming but also not too challenging. Then you will have a phone interview where they ask you behavioral questions like "describe a time you worked in a group" or "describe a time you overcame a challenge." After that, you will be flown out to career exploration day for an interview in front of a panel of 3 people.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you faced an ethical dilemma and how you dealt with it   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (Chicago, IL) in April 2013.

Interview

Passed basic knowledge and written test, had phone interview and was invited to Career Exploration Day/Decision Interview. Decision interview consisted of basic behavioral questions. The interviewers and ambassadors were very nice. Had to be fingerprinted. Waiting on background & credit check results. Told to expect to hear something within two weeks of interview.

Interview Questions

• The questions weren't difficult at all. The only challenge was thinking of specific and unique examples for each question, since they asked that I try to avoid using the same situation to answer more than one question..   3 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation.

See What Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Employees Are Saying

Current Associate National Bank Examiner in Little Rock, AR

Pros: “Good pay and is geo adjusted for COL. Work is interesting. Job security. Chances to be exposed to a lot of different areas. Some mangers are very welcoming of you specializing and…” Full Review