Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

Updated Dec 19, 2014
Updated Dec 19, 2014

3.2

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2013.

Applied online through usajobs, there was only a week long window open to apply. I was then contacted to take two test at a local university. The first test you take says that it is accounting, finance, and banking. However, its nearly all accounting and I felt like I should have studied more to prepare. Upon passing that test it will then allow you to take a written exam where you will prepare a report based off of information from multiple sources; other bank examiners notes, loan docs, newspaper report, etc. A computer program now grades these test to take the subjectivity out of the process. Once I passed that I was phoned to set up a phone interview. Standard behavioral situation, action taken, outcome types of questions. After passing this part I was invited via e-mail to take part in the career exploration day at the district home office which for me was in Chicago. Here you will meet ambassadors(they have very good information to share and they have no input on your hiring decision so don't hold back), complete finger printing, consent to background and credit checks, and finally an hour long interview with 2-3 field office managers. This interview was similar in format to the phone interview but with different questions and more detailed follow-up questions. I was contacted by phone 8 days after the interview with an offer in my first choice location

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation on the entry-level positions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2013.

First, you apply during the open season. This is eother in January or September. While applying you pick the top 2 places you are willing to work, unless there is a place in your city, be prepared to move. Then you have to pass a test of intermediate accounting and writing skills. If you pass that, then there is a phone interview. If that goes well, the OCC will pay for you to go to their district office for a in-person interview. You have to pass a FBI background check before they will offer employment. After that, if you are selected, you are offered employment.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. It was a set offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Take a knowledge and written test. Knowledge test is basic accounting questions. Written test is review of documents and you must write a memo. The next step about two weeks later was contacted for a phone interview. The woman conducting the interview was extremely nice. Consisted of all behavioral questions and reassured I would be willing to relocate and travel regularly. Now I'll be attending the "Career Exploration Day" and was told I'd be interviewing with a panel of 3 senior OCC employees.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult, all behavioral. The most difficult part is she wanted specific examples for everything, ask for time to gather my thoughts and then gave her an example.   Answer Question

Assistant National Bank Examiner At Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

-Applied on their web site
    -Was asked to take a basic accounting and writing test
    -Got an email asking for a phone interview
    -Got phone interview that went well they asked basic questions on working in group inviorments
    - Now I am waiting on a responce or invitaition to the next step in the interview process

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Will need to complete a lengthy application through the company website. Will then be invited to take a lengthy exam which first consists of 75 multiple choice questions testing your basic knowledge of finance and accounting principles. If you pass this portion you will immediately take a written portion which analyzes your ability to communicate documents. You will then advance to a phone interview if you pass. Then you will have to await to be invited to a Career Exploration Day which is the final stage. This is where I am right now.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions have been relatively typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Apply online,Take a test based on banking and accounting skills, then write a memo

Entry Level Bank Examiner Interview

Applied online in late January and received an email that same day asking me to schedule a time to take the knowledge and written test. A couple weeks later I took the tests. Not hard, but not easy either. Passed both sections and had a phone interview a week later. Just got word yesterday that I passed the phone interview and will be going to Career Exploration Day in Dallas on April 4th.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for the OCC?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had a lot of responsibilities, and how you handled them.   Answer Question

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

After applying to the job announcement for the entry-level examiner program, I got an e-mail invitation to schedule an appointment to take the assessment test at a computer test center. I think this is the first time they administered the test by computer. Overall the test experience was good. The test center was comfortable, the staff was nice and helpful, and since I arrived early, they let me start early. There are 2 tests, the first is the accounting knowledge test. You have 90 minutes for 75 multiple-choice questions. It's pretty basic. I think a review of Introduction to Accounting material should suffice. After that, if you pass the first test, you are then able to take the second test which is the writing test. This was harder than I thought it would be, because you have to write a report as if you are an entry-level examiner. You don't need any specialized knowledge, but you have to be able to pick out what is pertinent and important information, and synthesize it into a report. They give you a lot of information in a set of printed loan documents along with instructions, and they will grade you on grammar and content.

There were some glitches with this test. It froze in the middle of the first test and the staff member had to restart it. He told me that this has apparently to other examinees. At first he thought I might have to reschedule my appointment but the test picked up right where I left off and I was able to finish on time. In the second part I thought there was a problem with either the test software or the computer. When I was typing my report, it kept skipping lines up and down for no reason, which meant that my words and sentences were being cut in the middle and misspelled. I was not able to type in a flow as I had to go back and keep correcting everything as I went along. This also used up much of the allotted time. You are given 2 hours for the written portion of the test. This includes time to read and review the documents, and to write the report. I didn't report this issue to the test center or the occ, because I didn't think it would help make a difference.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the assessment test was the writing test.   Answer Question

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in March 2013.

I first applied through my college's career center notification of the job in February. I was then pre-qualified to go an take the two tests. A general knowledge test and Written Communications test. The General Knowledge test was what they told me to study, a lot of balance sheets and understanding formulas, the written test wasn't difficult you just need to have concise writing and try not to drift. I was told I passed three days later and then in about a week I was contacted about a phone interview on March 7th. A week later I was told that I had been selected for Career Exploration day which is the 1st of April. They are flying me in and out the same day of the interview. It is supposed to be an information session and then a panel interview with three of the management.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in March 2013.

The hiring process apparently has been revamped, streamlined and more financially efficient. You start by submitting you application on the USAJobs site. Once your application has been reviewed, you receive a call for a phone interview scheduled at a later time. Phone interview is basic questioning, read directly from a script. If you pass the phone interview part, you are then asked to schedule testing at an approved testing site, hopefully not too far from where you are located currently (for me, the closest was approximately an hour away). Tests are on basic accounting knowledge and writing/ organization skills. If you pass, you will then be contacted for the final part of the interview process, which is to fly/drive to the district you're applying to's main headquarters. Which brings up a great and important point: the initial top pick you choose will ultimately pick which district you interview with. So say if pick DC office as your top and Tampa as your second. You will interview in the NE District and if you do not receive an offer from DC, you do not get a chance to apply in the Southern District. So really be sure as to which cities you pick as your choices. When you fly/drive to your final interview, everything is paid or reimbursed for, so don't worry about paying big costs out of pocket. The final interview day last approximately 4 hours and spans from speakers to panel interviews. Interviews go over smoothly, so don't sweat this process. A week or two passes by, and you finally receive an offer. Overall, it is a very long process so I wouldn't put your eggs into one basket with this job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Straight forward behavioral questions, literally read from a script.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Salaries are locked and the only adjustments are COL adjustments.

See What Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Employees Are Saying

Current Assistant National Bank Examiner in Orange, CA

Pros: “great benefits, decent pay,” Full Review