Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Interview Questions & Reviews

94 interviews

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2013.

Passed basic knowledge and written test, had phone interview and was invited to Career Exploration Day/Decision Interview. Decision interview consisted of basic behavioral questions. The interviewers and ambassadors were very nice. Had to be fingerprinted. Waiting on background & credit check results. Told to expect to hear something within two weeks of interview.

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't difficult at all. The only challenge was thinking of specific and unique examples for each question, since they asked that I try to avoid using the same situation to answer more than one question..   View Answers (3)
    No negotiation.

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in April 2013.

I wrote one of the earlier interviews. I can add more detail now that I completed the process.

Applicants take two placement tests. One evaluates basic accounting principles while the other is a writing exam. The writing exam is more difficult in my opinion. Definitely study the rules for business communication before you take this.

Next stage is a telephone interview. The interviewer asks a few behavioral questions and whether you are willing to travel. Traveling is a major component of this position.

The final stage is the office visit. You fly to your district's headquarters and have a final decision interview with a panel. I think the interviewers are looking for candidates who demonstrate professionalism and technical skills. I got a phone call with a tentative offer from the HR Director about 2 weeks later, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation. However, certain areas get a cost of living increase.

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Applied at the end of January when the application window first opened, then received an email to schedule the knowledge/writing sample test. If you pass the knowledge test then you are allowed to take the writing sample portion which is writing a report based on the set of documents provided and incorporating the details the instructions ask for. I immediately got an email stating I passed right after completing my test. I then received another email a few days later to set up the screening phone interview. The questions were exactly as others mentioned, all behavioral and you must provide a specific example, don't be afraid to use more than one. If you score high enough, the score being based on test scores and your interview score then you are invited to Career Exploration Day. I applied for a Southern office and was flown into Dallas, TX. All the travel arrangements were arranged and paid by OCC.
    My hotel was within walking distance and when I arrived at OCC I was greeted by two OCC employees. I asked them a ton of questions as they had just recently completed training and gone out into the field. There was a total of four of us there for the interview, once we were all there we attended a short presentation with further details of the hiring process and the perks of the position. Following that came the panel interview with 3 managers each from a different office and all very friendly. After that came the fingerprinting and all the background check related activities. A week later I was offered the position for my number one choice.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had a difficult group member and had to complete a project within a certain amount of time.   View Answers (5)
    There is no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Take a knowledge and written test. Knowledge test is basic accounting questions. Written test is review of documents and you must write a memo. The next step about two weeks later was contacted for a phone interview. The woman conducting the interview was extremely nice. Consisted of all behavioral questions and reassured I would be willing to relocate and travel regularly. Now I'll be attending the "Career Exploration Day" and was told I'd be interviewing with a panel of 3 senior OCC employees.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult, all behavioral. The most difficult part is she wanted specific examples for everything, ask for time to gather my thoughts and then gave her an example.   Answer Question

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in March 2013.

I first applied through my college's career center notification of the job in February. I was then pre-qualified to go an take the two tests. A general knowledge test and Written Communications test. The General Knowledge test was what they told me to study, a lot of balance sheets and understanding formulas, the written test wasn't difficult you just need to have concise writing and try not to drift. I was told I passed three days later and then in about a week I was contacted about a phone interview on March 7th. A week later I was told that I had been selected for Career Exploration day which is the 1st of April. They are flying me in and out the same day of the interview. It is supposed to be an information session and then a panel interview with three of the management.

Interview Questions

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

-Applied on their web site
    -Was asked to take a basic accounting and writing test
    -Got an email asking for a phone interview
    -Got phone interview that went well they asked basic questions on working in group inviorments
    - Now I am waiting on a responce or invitaition to the next step in the interview process

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

Will need to complete a lengthy application through the company website. Will then be invited to take a lengthy exam which first consists of 75 multiple choice questions testing your basic knowledge of finance and accounting principles. If you pass this portion you will immediately take a written portion which analyzes your ability to communicate documents. You will then advance to a phone interview if you pass. Then you will have to await to be invited to a Career Exploration Day which is the final stage. This is where I am right now.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions have been relatively typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency.

Apply online,Take a test based on banking and accounting skills, then write a memo

Entry Level Bank Examiner Interview

Applied online in late January and received an email that same day asking me to schedule a time to take the knowledge and written test. A couple weeks later I took the tests. Not hard, but not easy either. Passed both sections and had a phone interview a week later. Just got word yesterday that I passed the phone interview and will be going to Career Exploration Day in Dallas on April 4th.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for the OCC?   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you had a lot of responsibilities, and how you handled them.   Answer Question

Assistant National Bank Examiner Interview

After applying to the job announcement for the entry-level examiner program, I got an e-mail invitation to schedule an appointment to take the assessment test at a computer test center. I think this is the first time they administered the test by computer. Overall the test experience was good. The test center was comfortable, the staff was nice and helpful, and since I arrived early, they let me start early. There are 2 tests, the first is the accounting knowledge test. You have 90 minutes for 75 multiple-choice questions. It's pretty basic. I think a review of Introduction to Accounting material should suffice. After that, if you pass the first test, you are then able to take the second test which is the writing test. This was harder than I thought it would be, because you have to write a report as if you are an entry-level examiner. You don't need any specialized knowledge, but you have to be able to pick out what is pertinent and important information, and synthesize it into a report. They give you a lot of information in a set of printed loan documents along with instructions, and they will grade you on grammar and content.

There were some glitches with this test. It froze in the middle of the first test and the staff member had to restart it. He told me that this has apparently to other examinees. At first he thought I might have to reschedule my appointment but the test picked up right where I left off and I was able to finish on time. In the second part I thought there was a problem with either the test software or the computer. When I was typing my report, it kept skipping lines up and down for no reason, which meant that my words and sentences were being cut in the middle and misspelled. I was not able to type in a flow as I had to go back and keep correcting everything as I went along. This also used up much of the allotted time. You are given 2 hours for the written portion of the test. This includes time to read and review the documents, and to write the report. I didn't report this issue to the test center or the occ, because I didn't think it would help make a difference.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the assessment test was the writing test.   Answer Question

See What Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Employees Are Saying

Former Program Assistant in Washington, DC

Pros: “Probably the best work environment I have ever been a part of. The team that I worked with provided an encouraging atmosphere. Recognition was given when you worked hard and although the…” Full Review

Worked for Office of the Comptroller of the Currency? Contribute to the Community!