Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

www.occ.gov
Engaged Employer

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated May 26, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Four step hiring process. 1) Accounting and Finance skills test (multiple choice), 2) Writing test (anaylze loan documents and provide recombinations in a memo), 3) Phone interview 1:1, 4) In person panel interview 2:1 Standardized testing isn't too bad, but brush up on your journal entries and be very familiar with income statement and balance sheet analysis. Also, know your basic financial ratios since you'll be asked to make calculations and a formula sheet is NOT provided. Finance majors will have no problem with any of this. Interviews were mostly behavioral/fit questions. Just relax and answer the questions. If the idea of talking with senior people in a conference room for an hour freaks you out you probably won't be a good fit for this job anyway and the interview will weed you out.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to research a problem and describe how you went about finding the answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Knowledge test is accounting heavy, but not difficult. Writing test is tricky. Two hours seems like a long time, but with the excessive amount of information that they give you it goes fast. The most difficult part was trying to navigate the prehistoric word processing program that you have to use. Phone interview is straight forward. Behavioral. Give answers in the STAR format. Career Exploration Day is mostly them trying to convince you to take the job if it is offered to you. The in person interview was almost identical to the phone interview except with two different people asking the questions. Also, don't assume that you have the job if you are invited to Career Exploration Day. In my session there were ~15 other applicants and they have two sessions per day for at least three days. They hire a lot of people but certainly not that many. The entire process was excruciatingly long. I initially applied for the position during the last week of January. Took the test the first week of February. Received the official results three days later. Was contacted to schedule the phone interview two weeks after that. Two weeks after the phone interview I was invited to Career Exploration Day, which was over a month later, the second week of April. A few days after Career Exploration Day I was offered the position. From start to finish the process took ~3 months.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to do research. How did you know you were done?   Answer Question

Had a better offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Submitted application mid January. Completed and passed both the written and knowledge test second week of February. Had my phone interview last week of February. Received invitation to Exploration Day first week of March. Had Exploration Day 2nd week of April. Received an offer the week after.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project or assignment, either at work or school, which required heavy analysis.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

First after you apply you must take 2 test one which is on financial skills and another a written test. If you pass both of those test you will be contacted within a 2 week span for a phone interview. The questions are mostly behavioral and simple. If you are chosen to move on from that then you will be invited to career exploration day about a month later. Mine was on November 19 in NYC. During the exploration day you learn more about the OCC and finally have an interview with a panel of 2 people. The questions are similar to those in the phone interview. Exactly one week after the interview I was notified that I had been selected for the position and I accepted

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you have had to deal with a tough group mate and how have you dealt with this?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. set salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

The hiring process is relatively basic. There are two periods throughout the year where applications are accepted. By applying, you must self certify that you meet the minimum requirements for the position (in my case, it was a BSc in Business Management). After the self certification, you are e-mailed to schedule a exam. The examination is provided by an outside testing facility and you will not meet anyone from the office at this time. The first test is basic accounting and finance. There are 75 questions and you have 90 minutes to complete all questions. I did not major in accounting and I thought the test to be relatively simple. You just need to make sure you study balance sheets, income statements, future/present value, etc. I believe all topics are listed on the OCC website. My exam was September 26th. If you pass this test, you will then have a writing examination. They hand you a packet of loan documents and notes by a fictitious OCC examiner. What you need to do is examine the notes, and clearly state the red flags and how the red flags can be reconciled. All of this information is given to you. You are not expected to know anything. This examination is simply to gauge how well you can communicate a message. I majored in English for my first two years of college so I found it to be very easy. You have two hours for this part of the test. I finished in about 45 minutes and reviewed for another 15. I received my results on September 29th. You will receive your results via e-mail after a few days (they say no later than 72 hours which is approximately when I received my results). At this point, your application will be reviewed and you may be contacted to set up a phone interview. I was called and we scheduled the interview for a few hours later. It's very laid back and pretty simple. The questions are all behavioral. I've detailed some of them below. I was honest about everything and gave specific examples. Everything you say is written down and sent to HR. I'm not sure if the person you are speaking to has any say in the hiring process. Keep in mind, it is always good to provide unique examples for every situation. If you have to reuse a scenario, then by all means, go ahead. As long as you're honest and you handled yourself well, there will be no negative results. My phone interview was October 18th. I was told I would hear no later then November 1st if I would be attending career day. On October 31st, I received an e-mail that I was invited to career exploration day on November 19th in New York City. At this point, you must consent to a background check and have yourself fingerprinted. There are a lot of recent hires around to answer any questions you may have. Most of them have 1-2 years of experience. You learn a lot about the OCC and what you will be doing at this time. It's very informative and clears up any ambiguity you may have. You will be brought to a panel interview at one point during the day. My interview was with two people. They were both very friendly and easy going. They ask very similar questions to the phone interview but they get a bit more involved. Essentially every question followed the same format: Name a time where this happened, how you responded to it and the outcome. It's important to use very specific examples here. If you need to take time to think, go right ahead. Ask questions if you need to. I needed them to clarify a question or two so I simply asked. It's important to not be nervous and just be honest and personable. At one point, I had my interviewers laughing with a story of mine. You're going to be working in a team, so having a little humor and lightheartedness when appropriate is a good thing. Just remember to be specific. It was stated that we would not receive our results for at least 3 weeks but I received a phone call exactly 1 week later. The entire process took about 2 months. You may feel intimated when you attend career day and see a lot of other applicants there, but do not worry. Don't forget, you are not competing with everyone for 1 position. There are a lot of open positions as there are a lot of applicants. So long as you're qualified and confident, you will get the job. Good luck, good skill.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you were faced with an ethical dilemma at work.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to deal with a difficult group member.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you went above your normal job responsibilities and did something you were not expected to do.   6 Answers

Negotiation

There is no negotiation for this position. The starting salary is a base $48,500 with geographical increases based on location. An exact detailing of specific increases can be found on the OCC website.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

Applied in early October, took the 4 hour written/MC test by October 10th. Had the phone interview about 2 weeks later, which went well. Had the final in person interview in the NY field office the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and was notified of the job offer exactly one week from the interview date.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral. The most difficult was probably coming up with answer to "What is your biggest ethical dilemma and how did you deal with it?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary is set in stone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

The hiring process apparently has been revamped, streamlined and more financially efficient. You start by submitting you application on the USAJobs site. Once your application has been reviewed, you receive a call for a phone interview scheduled at a later time. Phone interview is basic questioning, read directly from a script. If you pass the phone interview part, you are then asked to schedule testing at an approved testing site, hopefully not too far from where you are located currently (for me, the closest was approximately an hour away). Tests are on basic accounting knowledge and writing/ organization skills. If you pass, you will then be contacted for the final part of the interview process, which is to fly/drive to the district you're applying to's main headquarters. Which brings up a great and important point: the initial top pick you choose will ultimately pick which district you interview with. So say if pick DC office as your top and Tampa as your second. You will interview in the NE District and if you do not receive an offer from DC, you do not get a chance to apply in the Southern District. So really be sure as to which cities you pick as your choices. When you fly/drive to your final interview, everything is paid or reimbursed for, so don't worry about paying big costs out of pocket. The final interview day last approximately 4 hours and spans from speakers to panel interviews. Interviews go over smoothly, so don't sweat this process. A week or two passes by, and you finally receive an offer. Overall, it is a very long process so I wouldn't put your eggs into one basket with this job.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Straight forward behavioral questions, literally read from a script.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salaries are locked and the only adjustments are COL adjustments.

Entry Level Bank Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

Apply Online- Phone interview. You get invited to Career Exploration Day if you pass phone screening. Career Exploration Day consisted of: panel interview, accounting test and writing test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

OCC was at career fair on campus in September. Interviewed for about 45 min on campus the next day which consisted of about 6 behavoral questions which were typed onto a laptop by a semi friendly woman. Job requires alot of travel and that is stressed. Received an invitation to the career exploration day about 1.5 weeks later. Flew to NYC in early Nov. They paid for everything. It was a long day that consisted of breakfast, an introduction, a 2 hour writing test about loan documents, lunch, an accounting test that tests basic college level financial accounting principles, and an hour interview with 2 assistant deputy comptrollers. Questions were more involved than origional interview but of the same type. Received my offer 2 days later!

Interview Questions

• Name a time you faced an ethical decision, Name a time at work or school you had to deal with distractions and what you did.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, received my first choice for location

Entry Level National Bank Examiner Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

First you can an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview consists of around six basic personality questions (tell me about a time at work or school when you encountered a challenge and how you overcame it. Then if you pass you are invited to career day where you take a writing exam and an accounting exam, and you are also interviewed again with the same questions.

Interview Questions

Did not get the location i requested