Office of the Comptroller of the Currency

www.occ.gov
  www.occ.gov

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Nov 4, 2014
Updated Nov 4, 2014

3.2

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in November 2013.

The hiring process is relatively basic. There are two periods throughout the year where applications are accepted. By applying, you must self certify that you meet the minimum requirements for the position (in my case, it was a BSc in Business Management).

After the self certification, you are e-mailed to schedule a exam. The examination is provided by an outside testing facility and you will not meet anyone from the office at this time. The first test is basic accounting and finance. There are 75 questions and you have 90 minutes to complete all questions. I did not major in accounting and I thought the test to be relatively simple. You just need to make sure you study balance sheets, income statements, future/present value, etc. I believe all topics are listed on the OCC website. My exam was September 26th.

If you pass this test, you will then have a writing examination. They hand you a packet of loan documents and notes by a fictitious OCC examiner. What you need to do is examine the notes, and clearly state the red flags and how the red flags can be reconciled. All of this information is given to you. You are not expected to know anything. This examination is simply to gauge how well you can communicate a message. I majored in English for my first two years of college so I found it to be very easy. You have two hours for this part of the test. I finished in about 45 minutes and reviewed for another 15. I received my results on September 29th.

You will receive your results via e-mail after a few days (they say no later than 72 hours which is approximately when I received my results). At this point, your application will be reviewed and you may be contacted to set up a phone interview. I was called and we scheduled the interview for a few hours later. It's very laid back and pretty simple. The questions are all behavioral. I've detailed some of them below. I was honest about everything and gave specific examples. Everything you say is written down and sent to HR. I'm not sure if the person you are speaking to has any say in the hiring process. Keep in mind, it is always good to provide unique examples for every situation. If you have to reuse a scenario, then by all means, go ahead. As long as you're honest and you handled yourself well, there will be no negative results. My phone interview was October 18th.

I was told I would hear no later then November 1st if I would be attending career day. On October 31st, I received an e-mail that I was invited to career exploration day on November 19th in New York City. At this point, you must consent to a background check and have yourself fingerprinted. There are a lot of recent hires around to answer any questions you may have. Most of them have 1-2 years of experience. You learn a lot about the OCC and what you will be doing at this time. It's very informative and clears up any ambiguity you may have.

You will be brought to a panel interview at one point during the day. My interview was with two people. They were both very friendly and easy going. They ask very similar questions to the phone interview but they get a bit more involved. Essentially every question followed the same format: Name a time where this happened, how you responded to it and the outcome. It's important to use very specific examples here. If you need to take time to think, go right ahead. Ask questions if you need to. I needed them to clarify a question or two so I simply asked. It's important to not be nervous and just be honest and personable. At one point, I had my interviewers laughing with a story of mine. You're going to be working in a team, so having a little humor and lightheartedness when appropriate is a good thing. Just remember to be specific.

It was stated that we would not receive our results for at least 3 weeks but I received a phone call exactly 1 week later. The entire process took about 2 months.

You may feel intimated when you attend career day and see a lot of other applicants there, but do not worry. Don't forget, you are not competing with everyone for 1 position. There are a lot of open positions as there are a lot of applicants. So long as you're qualified and confident, you will get the job. Good luck, good skill.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you were faced with an ethical dilemma at work.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to deal with a difficult group member.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you went above your normal job responsibilities and did something you were not expected to do.   View Answers (6)
    There is no negotiation for this position. The starting salary is a base $48,500 with geographical increases based on location. An exact detailing of specific increases can be found on the OCC website.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in November 2013.

Applied in early October, took the 4 hour written/MC test by October 10th. Had the phone interview about 2 weeks later, which went well. Had the final in person interview in the NY field office the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and was notified of the job offer exactly one week from the interview date.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral. The most difficult was probably coming up with answer to "What is your biggest ethical dilemma and how did you deal with it?"   View Answer
    No negotiation. Salary is set in stone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in March 2013.

The hiring process apparently has been revamped, streamlined and more financially efficient. You start by submitting you application on the USAJobs site. Once your application has been reviewed, you receive a call for a phone interview scheduled at a later time. Phone interview is basic questioning, read directly from a script. If you pass the phone interview part, you are then asked to schedule testing at an approved testing site, hopefully not too far from where you are located currently (for me, the closest was approximately an hour away). Tests are on basic accounting knowledge and writing/ organization skills. If you pass, you will then be contacted for the final part of the interview process, which is to fly/drive to the district you're applying to's main headquarters. Which brings up a great and important point: the initial top pick you choose will ultimately pick which district you interview with. So say if pick DC office as your top and Tampa as your second. You will interview in the NE District and if you do not receive an offer from DC, you do not get a chance to apply in the Southern District. So really be sure as to which cities you pick as your choices. When you fly/drive to your final interview, everything is paid or reimbursed for, so don't worry about paying big costs out of pocket. The final interview day last approximately 4 hours and spans from speakers to panel interviews. Interviews go over smoothly, so don't sweat this process. A week or two passes by, and you finally receive an offer. Overall, it is a very long process so I wouldn't put your eggs into one basket with this job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Straight forward behavioral questions, literally read from a script.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Salaries are locked and the only adjustments are COL adjustments.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in November 2012.

OCC was at career fair on campus in September. Interviewed for about 45 min on campus the next day which consisted of about 6 behavoral questions which were typed onto a laptop by a semi friendly woman. Job requires alot of travel and that is stressed. Received an invitation to the career exploration day about 1.5 weeks later. Flew to NYC in early Nov. They paid for everything. It was a long day that consisted of breakfast, an introduction, a 2 hour writing test about loan documents, lunch, an accounting test that tests basic college level financial accounting principles, and an hour interview with 2 assistant deputy comptrollers. Questions were more involved than origional interview but of the same type. Received my offer 2 days later!

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you faced an ethical decision, Name a time at work or school you had to deal with distractions and what you did.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, received my first choice for location

Entry Level Bank Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in November 2012.

Apply Online- Phone interview. You get invited to Career Exploration Day if you pass phone screening.
    Career Exploration Day consisted of: panel interview, accounting test and writing test.

Entry Level National Bank Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in March 2012.

First you can an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview consists of around six basic personality questions (tell me about a time at work or school when you encountered a challenge and how you overcame it. Then if you pass you are invited to career day where you take a writing exam and an accounting exam, and you are also interviewed again with the same questions.

Interview Questions

Did not get the location i requested

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in February 2012.

Got a phone interview...all behavioral types of questions...I got an email this week saying I have to come in for a day long interview and skills test....March 26 in NYC.. i live in NYC so very near by...Please I would like to ask about the report writing..if anyone went through it and what was it about???i think the accounting part I will be fine but the writing is my concern..I am not a native speaker so wanted to know.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in January 2012.

Applied through the career services website at my school. A few weeks later was emailed back and invited to interview with a recruiter, who came to our campus. We went through my resume and s/he ased me some behavioral questions, which were expected to be answered in STAR format. No curveballs, overall an average interview and a very nice recruiter.

Fast forward a month and I received an email inviting me to the second round of interviews. All travel/hotel expenses and meals were paid for by the OCC. During the second round we met Associate Bank Examiners and had a short presentation from a current employee. We took a writing test, which consisted of us looking at loan documents and writing a report (no technical knowledge necessary) Our test was graded for grammer, content and organization. I've been told the majority of potential candidates fail this portion of the test.

We then took an accounting/banking/finance test which consisted of 75 multiple choice questions. The majority (60-70%) were accounting questions with the rest finance and banking. It wasn't terribly difficult or easy, coming from a person who hasen't taking an accounting course in 4 years. With a little review beforehand you should have no problem with this test. You are not told the score needed to pass.

Once we did this we were fingerprinted and had a 1-on-2 interview which consisted of more behavioral questions, similar to the first round of interviews. Both interviewers were very nice and the questions they asked can be found on this website.

I got a phone call 5 days later and was extended an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    Non negotiable salary, but adjusted for geographical cost of living differences.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in November 2011.

Met for an initial one on one, who asked the exact questions i found on here. Then i was invited to go to a bigger interview in the city, they test you on writing skill and accounting skill and how well you communicate with everyone in your session.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you had overcome something. Describe the steps you took and the final outcome.   Answer Question

Associate Bank Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in November 2011.

Applied online and received a telephone interview and invitation for career exploration day. They had tour guides who were in my position no more than 2 years ago. Pretty standard behavior questions
     Test was more accountin g than finance, was medium in difficulty. They had many personal present and you got a good idea of the job. Overall great process I received offer 2 business days and accepted