OfficeMax Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Aug 5, 2015

2.3

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied on a Friday, and roughly a week later, I was called and asked some brief questions over the phone. At the end of that conversation we scheduled for a face-to-face interview in store, at which time I had an interview with the Head Store manager. A couple days after that interview I was scheduled for another interview, with the Assistant Store manager. I assume this is the process for most interviews at Office Depot/Officemax, however I heard it is different amongst different managements. A friend of mine who got a job there months before I did had a 2 minute interview and was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Sell me this (insert item here)   1 Answer
    • If one manager has you doing certain tasks and their shift ends, and another manager comes and has different tasks, which tasks do you do?   1 Answer

Operations Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Naperville, IL).

Interview

I had an panel interview that spand about 6 hours. The interview started at 8am and anded at 3pm. I met with Mangersfrom four different areas of the business. The facilitatior was nice and accomodating.

Interview Questions

• Not difficult questions really. Lots of process questions.   Answer Question

Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Naperville, IL).

Interview

The recruiters did a good job asking the standard questions and obtaining the expected initial personal information. The interview process included 5 separate interviews occurring on 3 separate days (excessive). The questions were not based on behavioral methodology and seemed to be more investigative in the respect that if I wasn't hired, the ideas and procedural accomplishments I provided would be used to improve their organization.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was over the phone with the HR contact. I declined the initial offer and counter-offered immediately. The HR contact was obviously given parameters on what would be accepted as we quickly came to an agreement.

Sales Specialist (Key Holder) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bedford Park, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Bedford Park, IL) in August 2013.

Interview

Tell me about yourself. What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? Why do you want this job? Where would you like to be in your career five years from now? What's your ideal company? What attracted you to this company? Why should we hire you? What can you do for us that other candidates can't? What were the responsibilities of your last position? Why are you leaving your present job? What do you know about this industry? What do you know about our company? Are you willing to relocate? Do you have any questions for me?

Interview Questions

• What did you like least about your last job? When were you most satisfied in your job?   Answer Question

Assistant Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Naperville, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

Interview process was fairly smooth, 2 calls with the recuirter, interview with Hiring Director, Direct Manager and 2 long standing co-workers. Offer was made within a 1 week timeframe, we went back and forth for about 2 days exchanging proposals and was hired within a 1.5 week timeframe from intial offer.

Manager, Assistant Category Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Naperville, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

OM contacted me to set up an interview on the phone. The first time the did not call me, so I contacted OM again asking to have a time set up. The second time they did not call either. Finally on the third time OM called me as planned. After that I came into the HQ in Illinois to interview with a handful of differnet people in 20-30 minute increments. After that a manager called me again for another interview, as well as a HR represenative. Then was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• Cannot remember any difficult questions, all standard.   Answer Question

Too much uncertainty with the merger of OfficeMax & Office Depot at the time.

Merchandising Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Naperville, IL) in September 2012.

Interview

I had a screening interview with one of the HR Recruiters. I then had a phone interview with a buyer. Finally I came into the office and interviewed with 3 different buyers.

Interview Questions

• The unexpected part of this interview was how many questions I had to ask. My interviewers would ask me a question and then ask if I had any questions. I felt like I was doing the interviewing!   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was fairly easy - they offered me the highest pay range I was asking for.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Naperville, IL) in August 2012.

Interview

I applied online & was contacted by HR about a week later to discuss my experience. Was then set up with an in person interview a week later with 4 different people - 30 minutes each. First was the hiring manager. The rest were people that work with the team (though one person had only been there 4 days). About a week later was contacted to set up a final interview with one more person. That in person interview turned to a phone interview bc of schedule issues and was only about 20 minutes long. About a week later HR called with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected at all. Mostly going over my experiences and explaining how my skills could be a good fit for the new job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate the salary an extra $2k. Not able to negotiate vacation time.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Aurora, IL) in July 2012.

Interview

It was very simple. Went in with a positive attitude with a drive for success. Got an offer on the spot

Interview Questions

• Making sure that I was the choice at that precise time   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Naperville, IL) in July 2012.

Interview

The interview process was streamlined and efficient. I was able to meet with the executive team all in one day to maximize my time and theirs.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you deal with difficult personalities.   Answer Question