OfficeMax

Average Difficulty
17 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Dimas, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax in September 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted my interview online. I called to follow-up about my application within a week. The store manager spoke with me and asked me to come into the store for an interview. The manager was very kind. He walked me into the furniture department and asked about my past work, etc. He quickly jumped into the salary question, and I was a bit taken aback. Before leaving, he introduced me to the department manager.

Interview Question – Desired salary, last salary   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy and straight-forward.

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at OfficeMax in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process was very basic. Simply asked about my background, if I was going to school, what I want to achieve further in life, if I was comfortable working in a retail atmosphere.

I first spoke to a pre screen HR person, and I impressed them so much, I had the 2nd interview the same day and was eventually hired on the spot.

Just answer questions honestly, be yourself and smile.

Interview Question – This wasnt the most difficult, but its the only one I remember.

"How do you handle stressful situations?"
  Answer Question

Impress Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OfficeMax in March 2014.

Interview Details – They asked a bunch of questions on how I would handle a multitude of situations; teamwork, stress, independance.

Interview Question – The interviewer asked me to sell a random object in the room to him.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Impress Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – Low pay, lack of training, management doesn't care and you have to clean the bathrooms

Interview Question – Can you print this now because I was lazy and waited until the last minute   View Answer

Orlando, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – The hiring interview process was very easy. They ask you if you are in this scenario, what would you do.. They also promote you to upsell stuff even if its not logical to the customers needs, which sometimes they get offended.

Interview Question – Most of the questions are pretty common questions. See Above.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Horrible, straight up lied to me.

Reading, PA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at OfficeMax in February 2011.

Interview Details – Application is online. If you are selected to be interviewed, you will be called into a store and have an interview with the Impress Supervisor. If you pass this interview, you will be interviewed by the Store Manager. If they like you, you will have to submit to a drug test and if you pass, they will offer you the position. The interview is pretty standard. Questions are like any other interview; tell me a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer, tell me a time where you solved a problem, etc.

Interview Question – Tell me what was your least favorite quality of your previous manager.   Answer Question

Pocatello, ID

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at OfficeMax in January 2009.

Interview Details – The folks at the store were awesome. There was great communication all throughout the process, and expectations were very clearly laid out. Both the ImPress manager and the store manager participated in the process, and both were very easy to talk with.

Interview Question – I'm sorry, but there were no questions that I found terribly challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This phase was like the rest: relaxed and very conversational.

Impress Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – Went through simple interview process, and answeed the scenarios that the interviewer asked me, and was hired pretty quickly after it.

Very Easy Interview

Brookfield, WI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at OfficeMax in July 2009.

Interview Details – All I did was show up looking like a corporate head (suit laptop bag and laptop) and scared the crap out of the Manager and had her freaking out to store associates who thought I was there for a surprise store visit. Then she found out I was there for an interview so she relaxed a bit and asked me what school I went to, what I studied, where I was originally from because she heard an accent, said I would be a great addition then said I was overqualified and recommended me for the supervisor position at a new store opening up. (got strung along by that other manager for a month before the one I interviewed with hired me on as part time.

Interview Question – Pretty easy seeing as though I threw her off guard walking in as if I was corporate.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Told her what I previously got paid at my previous place of employment and she offered me a $1.50 more ($9.50/hr) then got told she started my other associates at $10.25/hr.

Very Easy Interview

Sterling Heights, MI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at OfficeMax in August 2012.

Interview Details – Walked in the store, and they had me sit in the furniture section of the store. I sat down at a chair and desk and waited for the manager to come interview me. He walked in and said my name and shook my hand. He pulled up a seat and got started. (He seemed very friendly and was not intimidating at all when we started.) He began off with telling me "okay we're just going to ask you a few questions and take some notes, and do not worry, we are not judging you!" as he said with a smile. Which made me feel comfortable. He also had a copy of my resume in front of him, and he asked me questions regarding that(really easy questions, like school schedule and previous work experience). He asked me the questions, asked me how many hours I would like, and asked about my availability. He also told me he is multi-training people to work different areas of the store. It was a quick 15 minute interview and basically I was told I had the job. Oh, and he had me "sell" him something. I laughed and smiled and made it sound good, he handed me a pack of glue sticks to sell, and it was casual and he said it was good. Simple interview, nothing too hard.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you trusted someone. How did that turn out? Did you ever have someone betray your trust?   View Answer
  • Explain a time you worked in a team.   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time you took initiative beyond what was expected of you?   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time you had to get a difficult project done on time and how did you successfully complete it?   View Answer
  • I want to test your selling skills. Something easy. Here: *hands pack of glue sticks*   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The manager said "You will be getting paid 8.50 an hour, so once the drug test comes back okay consider yourself hired." I didn't even bring up negotiation, but it sounded like you can negotiate how many hours you want to work.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!