OfficeMax

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Impress Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OfficeMax in March 2014.

Interview Details – They asked a bunch of questions on how I would handle a multitude of situations; teamwork, stress, independance.

Interview Question – The interviewer asked me to sell a random object in the room to him.   Answer Question

ImPress Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – Low pay, lack of training, management doesn't care and you have to clean the bathrooms

Interview Question – Can you print this now because I was lazy and waited until the last minute   View Answer

Orlando, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – The hiring interview process was very easy. They ask you if you are in this scenario, what would you do.. They also promote you to upsell stuff even if its not logical to the customers needs, which sometimes they get offended.

Interview Question – Most of the questions are pretty common questions. See Above.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Horrible, straight up lied to me.

Reading, PA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at OfficeMax in February 2011.

Interview Details – Application is online. If you are selected to be interviewed, you will be called into a store and have an interview with the Impress Supervisor. If you pass this interview, you will be interviewed by the Store Manager. If they like you, you will have to submit to a drug test and if you pass, they will offer you the position. The interview is pretty standard. Questions are like any other interview; tell me a time where you had to deal with a difficult customer, tell me a time where you solved a problem, etc.

Interview Question – Tell me what was your least favorite quality of your previous manager.   Answer Question

Pocatello, ID

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at OfficeMax in January 2009.

Interview Details – The folks at the store were awesome. There was great communication all throughout the process, and expectations were very clearly laid out. Both the ImPress manager and the store manager participated in the process, and both were very easy to talk with.

Interview Question – I'm sorry, but there were no questions that I found terribly challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This phase was like the rest: relaxed and very conversational.

ImPress Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview Details – Went through simple interview process, and answeed the scenarios that the interviewer asked me, and was hired pretty quickly after it.

Very Easy Interview

Brookfield, WI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at OfficeMax in July 2009.

Interview Details – All I did was show up looking like a corporate head (suit laptop bag and laptop) and scared the crap out of the Manager and had her freaking out to store associates who thought I was there for a surprise store visit. Then she found out I was there for an interview so she relaxed a bit and asked me what school I went to, what I studied, where I was originally from because she heard an accent, said I would be a great addition then said I was overqualified and recommended me for the supervisor position at a new store opening up. (got strung along by that other manager for a month before the one I interviewed with hired me on as part time.

Interview Question – Pretty easy seeing as though I threw her off guard walking in as if I was corporate.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Told her what I previously got paid at my previous place of employment and she offered me a $1.50 more ($9.50/hr) then got told she started my other associates at $10.25/hr.

Very Easy Interview

Sterling Heights, MI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at OfficeMax in August 2012.

Interview Details – Walked in the store, and they had me sit in the furniture section of the store. I sat down at a chair and desk and waited for the manager to come interview me. He walked in and said my name and shook my hand. He pulled up a seat and got started. (He seemed very friendly and was not intimidating at all when we started.) He began off with telling me "okay we're just going to ask you a few questions and take some notes, and do not worry, we are not judging you!" as he said with a smile. Which made me feel comfortable. He also had a copy of my resume in front of him, and he asked me questions regarding that(really easy questions, like school schedule and previous work experience). He asked me the questions, asked me how many hours I would like, and asked about my availability. He also told me he is multi-training people to work different areas of the store. It was a quick 15 minute interview and basically I was told I had the job. Oh, and he had me "sell" him something. I laughed and smiled and made it sound good, he handed me a pack of glue sticks to sell, and it was casual and he said it was good. Simple interview, nothing too hard.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you trusted someone. How did that turn out? Did you ever have someone betray your trust?   View Answer
  • Explain a time you worked in a team.   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time you took initiative beyond what was expected of you?   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time you had to get a difficult project done on time and how did you successfully complete it?   View Answer
  • I want to test your selling skills. Something easy. Here: *hands pack of glue sticks*   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The manager said "You will be getting paid 8.50 an hour, so once the drug test comes back okay consider yourself hired." I didn't even bring up negotiation, but it sounded like you can negotiate how many hours you want to work.

Toledo, OH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at OfficeMax in February 2012.

Interview Details – What is an Impress Associate? They hang out at the printer station and make copies, and print items for people. They even design logos and stuff with the customer.

I got called in to do an interview for them. I got dressed up and everything.I went there and I was escorted to the furniture center (mostly desks and computer chairs). They told me to pick a chair and I sat and waited. The interviewer came and we began. He seemed to be casual, which put me at ease with the way he talked. He seemed laid back. He said that there are 6 questions and so we began.

Most of them were hypothetical questions like, How would you greet a customer, ect. Pretty easy stuff.

general tip -
link products to other products. For example (there are multiple questions that this can be applied too), one of the questions is, how would you help a customer? Somewhere in you answer you should suggest another item, like say if they are buying a printer, offer them paper and ink.

There was one Question that threw me for a loop:

Q - What have you done to change a co-workers bad behavior and how?

A - Luckily, I had dealt with people I didn't like at my past job years ago, so I could answer it easily, but it is not like this happens everyday and I only had one example. So be ready for this one.

Another uncommon question was:

Q - Sell me a product, any product in the store (I didn't have to walk around and pick one, just off the top of my head)

A - Pick a product, say what it does, and then offer another, like the printer example.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to change a co-workers bad behavior and how?   View Answer
  • Sell me a product, any product in the store   View Answer

Topeka, KS

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at OfficeMax in April 2009.

Interview Details – I was called by the manager of the dept. and we scheduled an interview. I came in and was promptly greeted and sat down for a one on one. The interview was not as easy as I expected because they were wanting past examples of situations where I was part of a team. Not to say it was a difficult Q and A, just different. They really stress that atmosphere at the store. I could tell the job would be busy but casual. The manager was very friendly and I was offered a spot right away. She simply had to forward it through the store manager. I got a call the next day to go get a drug test, and a few days later i was hired. I thought the whole process was quick, effective, and positive.

Interview Question – Have you ever worked on a team?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I really didn't have much room to negotiate. I probably could have got a little more money than I did, but at the time, I was making minimum wage and was able to start out a lot higher here.

Interviews for Top Jobs at OfficeMax

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at OfficeMax ImPress Associate interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by OfficeMax employees and interview candidates.