OfficeMax Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.3

Distribution Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax (Columbus, OH).

Interview

Had to do two interviews for what turned out to be a basic warehouse sorting job. Waited one month for first interview, then called back a week later for second interview.
    I was referred to OfficeMax by a current employee. The pay sounded good for an entry level warehouse job. The outbound hours were odd 3PM-no end time, but it seemed like a job worth applying for.
    I was called back within a week and was told that they were awaiting the results from my background check.
    After two weeks I was called in for a face to face interview with one of the shift supervisors.
    A week later I was called in for a second face to face interview with the Distribution Center Supervisor. I was offered a job on the spot after the second interview. I was sent to submit to a drug test the following morning and would find out my start date pending the results.
    I was called a few days later and started work a week after. All in all this was a 30-40 day process.

The interviews/background check/drug test were fine. It was waiting over a month to actually start working and waiting by the phone that was terrible.

Interview Questions

• They were more interested in how my time with the Armed Forces related to working in the warehouse.   1 Answer

Pritning Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax (Portland, OR).

Interview

It was extremely short, with a plethora of complications with their outdated online application, took a full 2 weeks to get an interview, got called in multiple times and my time wasted.

Sales Consultant Printing Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview

Very easy interview. It was very short. I think that I had leniency, because I met the store manager and she already loved me. But I still got a formal interview with the printing dept manager. It was very easy process and got hired that same day.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions. Asked about graphic design or software experience, although isn't really required based on the job requirements and description. Asked to sell something in the room/office.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at OfficeMax in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was called the next day by manager for an interview the following week. I came 20 minutes early just to leave a good impression, and the manager there was old and seemed irritated. So I waited for a few minutes and he had the assistant manager interview me.

The interview questions were very basic, but the interviewer himself seemed very uninterested and lazy, saying he just came from a 5 day vacation and didn't even look over my resume or information prior to. In my head, I already didn't want to work with these people.

Overall, of the 8 or so computer randomized, general questions he gave me, I answered most of them after only 2 responses. So he tried to get the manager but apparently, he was doing a "project" at the time we initially scheduled the interview, and I'm thinking "yeah... no. I'm way over this kind of job."

He claimed that he will call, and the next morning I see a computer generated email stating "the decision has been made not to proceed with your candidacy." I'm really okay with not working there, but the fact that they declined me is outrageous since they were the ones that were not prepared and unprofessional. But then again, it's just OfficeMax.

I shouldn't expect any better for a $9/hour salary haha.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult situation.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at OfficeMax (Campbell, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

There was an online screening to determine whether or not you would be a good fit for the store before an in person interview. After that, there was an in person interview. The process took roughly one week. The hiring manager asked pretty general questions and a couple days later I was offered a job. I declined because I had another job offering.

Impress Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukie, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at OfficeMax (Milwaukie, OR) in April 2015.

Interview

I was in the store and saw a hiring sign. I asked the guy at the door about the hours they were looking for. He commented the application is online. Due to the OfficeMax/Office Depot merger, the online portion is a pain. Make sure to check your email and do the personality assessment. After I did so, I went back to the store to speak with the store manager. He had already printed out my resume and was doing interviews the following week. I got a call on Wednesday. Interviewed Friday morning. He is waiting on the results of my background check (3-5 business days), after which he told me he will call with an offer of employment. We were talking about training schedules before I left.

Interview Questions

• So, tell me about your last job. (He did this for each job on my resume).
      What does customer service mean to you?
      Do you have previous retail experience, preferably cashiering?

Answer Question

Impress Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview

Interviewed by shift Supervisor first as a one-on-one interview, then came back the following day for a second interview with the Store Manager and Supervisor together, with the Store Manager asking most of the questions. The interview with the Supervisor was more in depth and took longer. Both interviews were average and I wasn't made to feel nervous or intimidated. They want to make sure you have retail experience working with customers and are comfortable in a fast paced work environment with many customers.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview

non-behavior based questions. Worked there on contract through an agency. Stayed with OM over a year. A great place to work before it was merged with Office Depot. I pass the building daily and it sits empty.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cranston, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at OfficeMax (Cranston, RI) in March 2015.

Interview

The Manager asked me about previous work history, availability and if I went to school. Then he asked some questions about how I would handle customers, working with technology, going from cashier to the floor, cleaning, what I would do if I saw someone stealing. Then after the interview he had me sign papers for a background check and once those goes through I will get a call for orientation.

Interview Questions

• How To Handle An Irate Customer?   1 Answer
    • If you see an employee take a drink from the fridge to the locker room without paying, what would you do?   1 Answer
    • Would you move something around without being told?   1 Answer
    • Are you good with technology?   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied on a Friday, and roughly a week later, I was called and asked some brief questions over the phone. At the end of that conversation we scheduled for a face-to-face interview in store, at which time I had an interview with the Head Store manager. A couple days after that interview I was scheduled for another interview, with the Assistant Store manager. I assume this is the process for most interviews at Office Depot/Officemax, however I heard it is different amongst different managements. A friend of mine who got a job there months before I did had a 2 minute interview and was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Sell me this (insert item here)   1 Answer
    • If one manager has you doing certain tasks and their shift ends, and another manager comes and has different tasks, which tasks do you do?   1 Answer