OfficeMax Interview Questions

Updated Aug 12, 2015

2.6

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maple Grove, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Maple Grove, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

This interview must've been a joke because it was pretty funny. Arrived to interview on time, wasn't interviews until 10 minutes later. Interview was in furniture section of the store- that is so weird. Interviewer was coloring little symbols on paper when I answered questions, not sure what they meant. I was told I'd get a call for interview #2. To be honest I walked out of the store thinking I hope they don't call me. The people that worked there are weird and the environment is dark and dreary. I had bad feelings from the moment I walked in. Low and behold I was never called again for a second interview as I was told. The pay isn't good either. Hours were limited.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? Are you good with computers/video games? Previous experience?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maplewood, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Maplewood, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied on the 13th of June and got no response back after a week. I called in a week later and the manager I spoke to on the phone said the hiring manager was on vacation and said he'd leave a note to check my application. I waited for a week or 2 and go no response back so I called back and spoke to the hiring manager. She had told me that any applications from the 15th and up got deleted. She told me to reapply for the same position and she'd give me a call the following day. Not to mention, the guy who said he'd leave a note did NOT leave a note for the hiring manager. She didn't find any notes waiting for her. The next day, she'd called me and set up an interview date for the next day around noon. I go to my interview and I ask an employee about the hiring manager and for my interview. She told me to wait by the furniture area and the manager would be with me. I waited approximately 5 - 10 minutes and a regular employee shows up. She pulls up a chair and uses a desk that was on the floor and interviews out into the public. Apparently, there was no office to privately interview me. She asks me the basic questions and writes everything down. She goes to the manager and the manager told her to tell me that there was another candidate in line to interview and they'd get back to me. I'm grateful to have known that I wasn't hired because of the experience I've had; waiting for 3 weeks just to find out my application was deleted, got interviewed by a regular employee, and getting interviewed out on the floor rather than an office. I will never apply to another store that connects with this or Office Depot.

ASM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denton, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Denton, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

was told that i was not a candidate because i was over qualified, then find out they hired their drinking buddy for the position. found this to be quite a good ol boy system

Interview Questions

• wasnt asked any cause i dont go drinking with the boss   Answer Question

Retail Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OfficeMax in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was called the next day by manager for an interview the following week. I came 20 minutes early just to leave a good impression, and the manager there was old and seemed irritated. So I waited for a few minutes and he had the assistant manager interview me. The interview questions were very basic, but the interviewer himself seemed very uninterested and lazy, saying he just came from a 5 day vacation and didn't even look over my resume or information prior to. In my head, I already didn't want to work with these people. Overall, of the 8 or so computer randomized, general questions he gave me, I answered most of them after only 2 responses. So he tried to get the manager but apparently, he was doing a "project" at the time we initially scheduled the interview, and I'm thinking "yeah... no. I'm way over this kind of job." He claimed that he will call, and the next morning I see a computer generated email stating "the decision has been made not to proceed with your candidacy." I'm really okay with not working there, but the fact that they declined me is outrageous since they were the ones that were not prepared and unprofessional. But then again, it's just OfficeMax. I shouldn't expect any better for a $9/hour salary haha.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult situation.   1 Answer

Sales Consultant Interview

Interview

I walked in to the store and asked the manager if they were hiring. The manager asked me to fill out an online application. I got an interview call 2 days after filling the application and started working the 3rd day.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in one word.   1 Answer

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview

Went to the store for a interview, just talk about the basic foundation of the job and daily tasks and ask few behavior questions. Then took a tour at the store and explain how everything works.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OfficeMax in November 2014.

Interview

I met with the lead sales associate for the interview. Most of the questions were similar to the questions I got from a college career advisor. The interviewer was very nice, and he mentioned that my interview seemed a lot better compared to the other interviewee candidates. The lead associate called me later that day to schedule an appointment with his boss, but his boss was only available on the day that I was busy. The lead associate never called me back after that day.

Sales Associate - Office Max Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newnan, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at OfficeMax (Newnan, GA).

Interview

Filled out an application online..Got called in for an interview a few days later. Interviewed by the general manager. The manager asked basic customer service type questions about what i would do in certain situations and questions about myself.

Interview Questions

• Asked general questions such as what are your weaknesses and strengths and how would you deal with an angry customer who had a problem   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

I had trouble finding the online application at first as officemax and office depot recently joined and it kept telling me to go to the Office Depot web site. I finally found the application and applied online and was contacted within two weeks for an interview. I interviewed with the hiring managers together.

Print Center Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OfficeMax.

Interview

Can be slow going, requires sales and technology background or aptitude. If you can sell and it's not reflected in your resume, then put it in a cover letter so you don't get passed up. You only get one interview, so make it good. Show up dressed well and don't be late.