OfficeMax

Updated Jan 19, 2015
Updated Jan 19, 2015

2.4

District Sales Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at OfficeMax in April 2011.

Can be a long interview process in this challenging economy with many potential candidates. Be patient and professional throughout the process. 3-7 interviews is common, either by phone or 1:1
     It starts with a screening by the HR recruiter, then an in person interview with the hiring manager. Unless you are a referral or know someone in the company, you may have to interview with team members who would be peers
     Be prepared and do your research on the company. Know about the history of the company, the leadership and the company philosophy. Do you homework.
     It is a tight culture where teamwork, communication and dedication are essential to fit in and survive. The leadership has changed rapidly over the past few months and the focus is on productivity, customer contact and hitting the numbers.
    The people who work here are dedicated and love the company. Many have been with them for a long time and the turnover for the most part in lower then other industries

Interview Questions
    They do not negotiate, It is take it or leave it.

Sales Associate - Office Max Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax in June 2011.

I was passing by an OfficeMax store looking for a job so i thought I should apply there. Went online and navigated through the menus until i got to the OfficeMax in my area. I saw there was a sales associate position avaliable so I applied online. About two weeks later I finally got a call to set an interview. It was the Assis. Manager that interviewed me. She was nice and told me that she was new to the job. We didn't interview in a office but in the furniture part of the store. The questions we're not that standard. Before I left I went online to look for job interview questions I might face but the Assis. Manager asked me none of those. Instead she asked me if I worked best on a team, whether I was experienced with technology, etc. Finally she asked me to sell me something in the vicinity. I froze for about 5 seconds before asking if I could look around. I chose a desk and asked my questions before offering my pitch. She smiled and jotted down her notes. After she told me that there could be a 2nd interview with the main manager or that I could just be offered the job. About a week later I was called and told to attend a 2nd interview with the sales manager. The 2nd one was easier as she only asked a few basic questions before confrming my phone number. She said I would get a call if I was offered the job. A couple days later I got the call to come in. So I did and I signed some papers and did a drug test and that was that. The manager shook my hand and said "Congratulations" I Hope This Helped. :)

Interview Questions
    • I would like you to sell me something in this room.   View Answer
    • Do you work well in a team? Explain a situation in which you we're part of a team and had to tackle a problem.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midvale, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Midvale, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax in January 2010.

Well I got called by Office max for an interview, and they also said they needed for me to take a drug screening at a separate location. So I did and it took a week for them to call me for the interview. I had a first interview with the assistant store manager, and it went well, but after the interview she said they wanted to have a second interview so I said OK and scheduled the second one. When i came for the second interview I stood around the store for a half an hour before the Store manager came out, I tried to be very nice and introduce myself and to shake his hand, He looked at me really quick, didn't shake my hand and said follow me. The interview was worse! He asked me some weird questions, and then asked me to sell him the globe that was sitting on his desk.. I froze, I had no idea how to sell the globe so I stuttered and said "umm if you ever want to know where different countries are, then this globe would really help you" I felt like an idiot and I thought I had blown the interview, but surprisingly they hired me.

There was no negotiating. They said they would only pay me 7.50$

Warehouse Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elkridge, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elkridge, MD

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax in November 2011.

The interview process was very competitive and detailed. The first step was a short phone interview that was more of an applicant screening than anything else. This took approximately 5-10 minutes. This was followed by an interview with the Operations Manager that lasted almost 3 hours. The questions that were asked were all work experience related and on point. You're not going to see any weird "describe yourself in three words" questions. They want to make sure you can do the job. After this step I was interviewed by the Warehouse Manager. This once again lasted almost four hours. He asked a lot of the same questions and gave me a tour of the facility. After I received his approval I met with HR and conducted a final interview with the Regional Manager. These meetings were actually pretty short; approximately 20 minutes apiece. After I received their approval I was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you respond to violence among the workforce?   Answer Question
    I don't know whether or not I was able to negotiate. The salary was more than competitive and I was happy to sign the offer letter there and then.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wyoming, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wyoming, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at OfficeMax in March 2009.

My interview was very informative of how the business works. They asked questions about my experience and the standard why do I think I would do well at Office Max, but the real clincher for me was the tension in each of the interviewers and the emphasis on being able to work under pressure. There is a focus on keeping the on-the-clock staff to a bare minimum, so each employee has a lot of responsibility and if you drop the ball there is not much you can do to make up for it. It's like trying to play a game of 5-on-5 basketball but your team only has 3 teammates. It makes for a very stressful, high pressure environment.

Interview Questions
    • If I was looking to buy a laptop for my daughter for college, which one would you sell me?   View Answer

Business Development Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax in April 2008.

I met with 4 of the managers, all had different personalities which was reasurring I wasn't working for robots. Had a family feel and many of the employees were long term, 15 years plus.

So 4 interviews, and a drug test and I was offered the job. I had experience selling two or their four main segments and I interview well, so I accepted their generous offer.

Interview Questions
    Yes, although this was done with the help of the recruiter.

Anonymous Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at OfficeMax.

changes inside the company from one position to another are encouraged but, should be based more on performance and work ethic than what questions you can answer.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at OfficeMax in April 2010.

Know your numbers, be prepared. Be able to speak to driving Sales and producing results as well as training others. Be a leader of change. Expect up to three interviews, sometimes with Store Managers as well as with District Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Questions are not difficult unless you cannot speak to driving a selling culture.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at OfficeMax in October 2013.

Normal interview for position, with detailed questions about P&L and metrics. Big focus on people development. Requirement of full compliment of skills and balance of qualifications.

Interview Questions
    • I expected at this level for the questions to be detailed and commensurate with the job level.   Answer Question

Operations Supervisor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at OfficeMax in May 2012.

I started as a Sales Specialist which the hiring process was you have to go onto website and apply there taking and taking assessment test. After you pass that step you have to do a 1 on 1 interview and if they like what they see you will get an offer letter. For Operations Supervisor had to interview with District Manager and a Manager then if you are selected you get another offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • Really there weren't any difficult or unexpected questions.   View Answer